NEWS: Hershey Entertainment sells Dutch Wonderland

Park sold to Palace Entertainment/Parques Reunidos
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

NEWS: Hershey Entertainment sells Dutch Wonderland

Postby ItsDavidU » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/11/hershey_entertainment_resorts_5.html

Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Co. has sold its Dutch Wonderland amusement park in Lancaster County to Palace Entertainment, the U.S. subsidiary of Parques Reunidos.

Garrett Gallia, spokesman for Hershey Entertainment, said his company had not offered Dutch Wonderland for sale, but was approached by officials with Palace Entertainment. He said the sale will help Hershey Entertainment concentrate on its Hershey holdings, including Hersheypark and the Hotel Hershey.

"In the past ten years, we have been growing our destination here in Hershey," he said. "By selling, we can devote all our energies to Hershey."

Entertainment is the nation’s largest operator of water parks and family entertainment centers. Based in California, Palace operates seven amusement parks, 10 water parks and 21 family entertainment centers in 11 states. It has three theme parks and one water park in Pennsylvania: Kennywood, Idlewild, Soak Zone and Sandcastle, which are located in the Pittsburgh area. It hosts more than 14 million visitors annually at 38 locations across the United States.

The companies had been in negotiations over the sale since May. Neither Gallia nor Palace Entertainment spokesman Rolf Paegart would reveal the selling price.

Paegart called Dutch Wonderland "a wonderful park that fits well with the company's portfolio.

He said there are no immediate plans for changes at the park.

Mod Edit: I went ahead and quoted the article for you. With news like this, we like to have a little bit more information than just a link to an article. Thanks!

-Eric
Last edited by ItsDavidU on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:12 pm.

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Re: NEWS: Hershey Entertainment sells Dutch Wonderland

Postby BarryH » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:31 pm

They better not mess with the Lady Gay! :)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby HPCrazy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:47 pm

A sad day for Hershey....

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LcHg5265 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:48 pm

This is very sad news. Palace does not know how to operate amusement parks; they should stick to their waterparks.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby ItsDavidU » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 pm

LcHg5265 wrote:This is very sad news. Palace does not know how to operate amusement parks; they should stick to their waterparks.

What makes you say that?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Interesting that they went after the property totally cold too.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

To be honest though, Dutch Wonderland does seem like it *fits* Palace's park profile more than it does Hersheypark. If you've ever been there it feels a lot more like a larger FEC than an actual park the way it's right on the street and surrounded by other FEC-like places. And with Palace owning properties like Castle Park, Story Land, and Boomers, this is much more like those.

I can't speak to how well/not well Palace runs parks, but this does seem like a better fit for them.

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LcHg5265 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:34 pm

ItsDavidU wrote:
LcHg5265 wrote:This is very sad news. Palace does not know how to operate amusement parks; they should stick to their waterparks.

What makes you say that?

Seeing what they have done at Lake Compounce.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby HPCrazy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:40 pm

What did they do to Lake Compounce?

What saddens me is that three of Hershey's rides were moved there and now whatever will happens to them remains to be seen.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 pm

^^Yeah, please explain. I didn't see anything wrong with the park during our visit in 2008, of course that was my only visit so I have nothing to compare it too. But, I'd say the Boulder Dash retrack was highly successful which was done under their watch.
Last edited by ernierocker on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 pm.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!