The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

P. 73 - Adirondack Outlaw Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Just a FYI, but the app didn't show any wait times. Instead it just listed Alpine Bobsled and Flying Trapeze as closed.

Both rides were open today.

Edit- Also make sure you ride the blue train on the Comet. It was running significantly faster.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Cinecitta World & Rainbow MagicLand

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Just a FYI, but the app didn't show any wait times. Instead it just listed Alpine Bobsled and Flying Trapeze as closed.

How does the bobsled at this park compare to others? I rode the Six Flags Texas one a couple of years back and was kind of surprised by how bumpy it was given the supposedly-gliding design. The Texas one slammed you into the seat each time the sled traversed the lowest point of the trough.

I drove past this park a few years ago but never stopped. One of these days I'll make it as the Comet looks really cool.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:41 pm

The Comet is a great classic woodie. I was disappointed by my first ride in the red train, but it was really running slow. The blue train was way faster. The difference was night and day. The red train had barely any air but the blue train had plenty of it.

As for the Bobsled, I didn't get there until it closed at 6 (noise rules) but saw them cycling the remaining guests in line. The biggest difference with Great Escape's bobsled over the one in Texas is the cars. I much prefer the 2 across design on Alpine Bobsled since you don't smack your legs against the side of the vehicle like La Vibora.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby darienlake2648 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:22 am

I’m planning a trip to The Great Escape for this upcoming Thursday. I wouldn’t be there the full day as I’m going to a concert in Saratoga Springs later that night. What route should I take around the park to try and ride as many thrill rides and coasters as possible, and how long should wait times be? Also is this park known for any good food?

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:27 am

You shouldn't have much of any wait on a Thursday, the best route is to head to the back of the park first. If Bobsled is operating hit that first as it has the slowest line for the coasters. Then hit up Comet and Supernova in the very back.

You can then work your way towards the front hitting up any flats you want and the rest of the coasters. The rest can be done in almost any order really. Nothing else stands out really, but the front has some good flat rides like Greezed Lightning and Sasquatch. You can easily do everything in about 2-3 hours
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:142
STEEL:113
WOOD:29
PARKS:27

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:50 am

darienlake2648 wrote:I’m planning a trip to The Great Escape for this upcoming Thursday. I wouldn’t be there the full day as I’m going to a concert in Saratoga Springs later that night. What route should I take around the park to try and ride as many thrill rides and coasters as possible, and how long should wait times be? Also is this park known for any good food?

Even on a weekend, lines are not a big issue at the Great Escape. On a weekday, you shouldn't have an issue getting on most rides immediately. The only lines I can see you encountering are the Alpine Bobsled and Blizzard (great indoor scrambler). Make sure to knock out these two rides early if you want to ride them.

For the Comet, make sure you ride the blue train.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby darienlake2648 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks. Also are there any water attractions in the theme park or Splashwater Kingdom worth trying out?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 am

If I spend a whole day at Great Escape, I actually spend more time in their water park. It's quite good. You have a strong collection of slides, but nothing super unique.

On the ride side, you have Desperado Plunge and Raging Rapids. Their rapids ride is just ok. It's long and shaded, but the water effects are laughably tacky (picture things like a punctured hose and PVC pipe). I think their flume is one of the weaker ones, but it does circle around Ghost Town.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone gone to the rebranded Magic Forest kids park down the road?

For 2019, it has reopened as the Lake George Expedition Park. Their website doesn't list any rides, but I can confirm they at least have the old Ferris Wheel and Tilt-a-Whirl operating from our drive-by. Plus I saw a new kids drop tower.

I'm curious if they still have the old Herschell kiddie coaster or if they maybe added a newer model like a SBF spinner.
IMG_20190629_165946.jpg

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby booink » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm

^RCDB lists the kiddie coaster as defunct, so I guess it is not part of the "new" park. Which IMO is unfortunate because it was the star of the best TPR video ever made :lol: .

Jokes apart I've never been to Magic Forest, I always thought it looked a bit tacky from the outside, but perhaps the new branding will make me want to go have a look someday. If anyone has been or has seen reviews of the new version I would also be curious to know how that place is nowadays.
Favorites :
Steel : Maverick, Wicked Cyclone, Superman: the ride (SFNE)
Wood : El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racers
Total coaster count : 137

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!