What area really needs a theme park?

What are some places that inexplicably don't have any parks?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Re: What area really needs a theme park?

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:12 pm

JT325 wrote:
ElvisLuv wrote:Libertyland became a victim of King Willy and his corrupt ways.

Who is King Willy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._W._Herenton

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:45 pm

DirkFunk wrote:
JT325 wrote:
ElvisLuv wrote:Libertyland became a victim of King Willy and his corrupt ways.

Who is King Willy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._W._Herenton

He had a grand scheme to completely redevelop the fairground in to a shopping/lifestyle center. During this time Libertyland was shuttered and the Mid South Fair bailed.

He signed off on a a noncompete clause with the Griz that effectively caused the Mid South Colossium to fall into disrepair. He allowed the venue size to be set way too small at 6,000. This has meant that Memphis has continued to be hamstrung on renovating the MSC and the Mud Island amp. This allowed Southhaven MS to build a 10,000 seat arena and 10,000 seat amp and steal over 40 events a year from Memphis proper. It has now led to a nasty dispute with Graceland as the Elvis folk want to built a performance space that seats over 6,000 as part of a larger project and the Griz have objected to any TIF financing for it. King Willy is the gift that keeps screwing Memphis.

It was during this time that Memphis stalled and Nashville took off. But... at last count, they was billions of dollars development and redevelopment about to be dropped on downtown Memphis. It made USA Today's top 5 places to visit this year and has made Frommer's top 19 for 2019 places in the world to visit for next. This idea for a Tivoli like park on Mud Island would just be a missing piece in the puzzle that Memphis is about to solve.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT325 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 pm

^A Tivoli style park would be fantastic in Memphis!

Thanks for the link and explanation.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Muskegon Michigan. =)
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:23 pm

thrillrider wrote:Muskegon Michigan. =)

I see what you did there, and I approve.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm

^ Okay. I am curious. What did 'he' do there? :?r

And Playland in Vancouver really needs to be converted into a
theme park of it's own. Sooner than later, I am hoping.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ Okay. I am curious. What did 'he' do there? :?r

Libertyland was a nonprofit entity sitting on city land; think a situation kinda like Kentucky Kingdom, except with an even more aggressive to chuck the park mentality from City Hall. The city could have done all sorts of things to assist since it was an asset that was valuable to the general populace, but they did the usual thing and thought short term, immediate payback potential and of course when the recession hit, that ended any hope of the area being redeveloped (if there was really any shot at all). Given that there were serious issues with kickbacks on other projects, its not entirely unlikely that Libertyland being set up to fail (poor investment in infrastructure surrounding, reduction of transit to park, bad revenue sharing deals, skyrocketing rent and utility costs that would have been generated by the city) was something which had been prepped in backrooms with briefcases full of money.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 pm

^ Actually, I was asking about the "Muskegon, Michigan" that thrillrider posted.

Is that the park that existed there, Libertyland?

And what ytterbiumanalyst was agreeing about, with that post, in this thread's context?

Thank you for this explanation about things. :smile: I'm old, and I catch on slow.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Mike240SX » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Muskegon is the home of Michigan's Adventure. The joke is that it's not believed to be much of a park, so the region could use an "actual" park.

I personally disagree with the assessment and found MiA to be quaint and perfectly sized for the region.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:57 pm

I still believe Houston and Phoenix are the two biggest contenders for medium-to-large sized amusement parks. Houston is the 4th largest city in the country by population (after the obvious big three), and Phoenix is 6th.

I know population isn't the only factor that allows a park to thrive, but I'm still surprised after all these years that Phoenix only has Castles n Coasters. At least there was a Six Flags in Houston for several decades. I wonder why nobody has attempted to tap into the Phoenix market? I've heard the excuse of "excessive heat" throw around, but it's not like California or Florida are much cooler.
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!