Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby livai » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:28 pm

coasterbill wrote:
livai wrote:unfortunately and the price to pay. the park no longer works, or better: it does not make any more money
these are the conditions to stay open
(without considering that alton, he has killed investments in other parks)

Is this English?
Merlin to save Alton took the money away from all the other parks
leviathan & fury 325 = waste of money

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Dar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:42 pm

livai wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
livai wrote:unfortunately and the price to pay. the park no longer works, or better: it does not make any more money
these are the conditions to stay open
(without considering that alton, he has killed investments in other parks)

Is this English?
Merlin to save Alton took the money away from all the other parks

I thought it was the other way around? Up until the Smiler crash Alton was the cash cow, propping up the other resort theme parks?

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby livai » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm

in reality they were Alton and Gardaland. then after the accident with the alton
only Gardaland kept the company (theme parks division, no legoland). but Merlin was able to sink Gardaland too
I tell you, Merlin sells the parks and only keeps Legoland
leviathan & fury 325 = waste of money

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Dar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:55 pm

livai wrote:in reality they were Alton and Gardaland. then after the accident with the alton
only Gardaland kept the company (theme parks division, no legoland). but Merlin was able to sink Gardaland too
I tell you, Merlin sells the parks and only keeps Legoland

From looking at the accounts (I know, yawn) Alton made more profit in 2016 than Thorpe and Chessinton combined, so I don't know where that's coming from. i just think Alton is a nice scapegoat because of the Smiler incident

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby 1aflack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 am

I would imagine the money is coming from the hotels at Alton. I live just outside London and have a 6 and a 2 year old and I never visit Chessington or Thorpe (Thorpe for obvious reasons), Chessington hasn't had any real investment for years now apart from the two new hotels. I would still always prefer to visit Alton as it just has a nicer atmosphere, the new coaster will also help. I find Legoland incredibly expensive.

I would have thought with the new coaster, Merlin would be going all out on great customer service this year to make people remember how good their visit was, people that may not have been for a while. Seems counter productive to open a big new ride (heavy marketing) and increased attendance and then actively try and make peoples visit worse.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby JordyC » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:51 am

After the announcement of the changes to the opening times of several rides, Alton Towers has now updated their website with this statement.

Alton Towers Resort wrote:We look forward to welcoming you to Alton Towers Theme Park. We offer early access to the theme park for Merlin Annual Pass holders and Resort Hotel guests with a selection of rides and attractions available for your enjoyment including our brand new ride for 2018 Wicker Man.

Theme Park opens to all other guests from 10am with over half our rides available, with all other rides and attractions to be open by 11am at the latest every day. Park open and close hours will always be flexible to ensure we can give our guests great experiences – if the park is busy we’ll always do our best to stay open!

So all of the rides will now be operational by 11:00, and Congo River Rapids will also be open for the entire length of the season!
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 5. Taron - Phantasialand 6. Helix - Liseberg 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 242 || Parks: 46

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby scbt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Wicker Man is testing.

Edit: The person who uploaded it took it down. :(
Last edited by scbt on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:56 pm.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby flaffstar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Do I have to be the first one here to point out how freaking slow this coaster it? Even if it gets faster as time goes by... damn that's a kiddy woodie and not a world class experience xD

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby A.T.I » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:29 pm

No doubt Robb will still scream on it though. It's what makes TPR TPR!
ATI Stands for Amusement Thrills International! =) =) =)

We were born to fly...

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:33 pm

flaffstar wrote:Do I have to be the first one here to point out how freaking slow this coaster it? Even if it gets faster as time goes by... damn that's a kiddy woodie and not a world class experience xD

It looks like they stopped the train on the lift a few times - they may be testing it completely under gravity (center of the train at the very top, and then let go at 0 mph) to make sure it can get through the circuit without valleying, before later letting it go over at the desired speed of the lift hill.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!