Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby Garet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:31 am

This is not supposed to come across as backseat anything but I'm genuinely curious why they went with this I.P? I mean is the wicker man that well known? It's been mentioned here a lot about how Thirteen is wrongly marketed but it feels the same here. Are there die-hard Wicker Man fans out there that will hop a plane for this? The park built on local legends with Hex and, even if it wasn't too well received, built into their own Nemesis lore with the short-lived Sub Terra ride.

The only thing I can think of is for this "world's first" with the fire and wood, but being in the section of the park called the Haunted Woods, couldn't they have built their own little story like the previous rides, have a similar structure around a flaming tree, with a more family-ish orientated horror theme and skipped on the costs of paying for an I.P. that has a 15 rating for a family ride?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 am

the costs of paying for an I.P. that has a 15 rating for a family ride?

They paying the Druids? :lmao:

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby thedazza » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Garet wrote:This is not supposed to come across as backseat anything but I'm genuinely curious why they went with this I.P? I mean is the wicker man that well known? It's been mentioned here a lot about how Thirteen is wrongly marketed but it feels the same here. Are there die-hard Wicker Man fans out there that will hop a plane for this? The park built on local legends with Hex and, even if it wasn't too well received, built into their own Nemesis lore with the short-lived Sub Terra ride.

The only thing I can think of is for this "world's first" with the fire and wood, but being in the section of the park called the Haunted Woods, couldn't they have built their own little story like the previous rides, have a similar structure around a flaming tree, with a more family-ish orientated horror theme and skipped on the costs of paying for an I.P. that has a 15 rating for a family ride?

They didn't go with any I.P. This has nothing to do with either of the movies of the same name. It just happens to be based on the same druid rituals that those movies are. They paid nothing for any I.P.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:30 am

From TowersStreet:

New information on Alton Towers website shows that there will be major changes in park operations for the 2018 season. The theme park will open for half an hour of ERT at 9.30am with other rides opening between 10am and 12pm. The schedule is as follows:

9am: Monorail
9.30am (ERT): Wicker Man, Spinball Whizzer, most of CBeebies Land
10am: X-Sector, Marauder's Mayhem, Heave Ho, rest of CBeebies Land
11am: Dark Forest, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Sharkbait Reef, Battle Galleons, Runaway Mine Train, Hex
11.30am: Skyride
12pm: Forbidden Valley, Duel, Congo River Rapids

In addition to this, the Congo River Rapids will only open between 6th May – 4th September 2018.

So Nemesis and Galactica will only open for 4-5 hours per day and the Rapids is just a seasonal attraction (of course, there's no such thing as seasonal pricing at the park to reflect this). It's really sad to see how Alton Towers is being run into the ground by Merlin. It's just not a fun place to visit any more.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am

Wait... Alton Towers closes at 4 or 5 PM?
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 am

A.J. wrote:Wait... Alton Towers closes at 4 or 5 PM?

Yes, reducing their opening times was another one of the cutbacks they made, along with closing on weekdays (eg, Monday-Wednesdays in September and October), closing food kiosks and quick service restaurants, mothballing or removing rides, closing Splash Landings for six months of the year and making a few hundred staff redundant over the last few years. They were making cutbacks even before Smiler crashed, but since then they have accelerated.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby livai » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm

unfortunately and the price to pay. the park no longer works, or better: it does not make any more money
these are the conditions to stay open
(without considering that alton, he has killed investments in other parks)
leviathan & fury 325 = waste of money

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:02 pm

livai wrote:unfortunately and the price to pay. the park no longer works, or better: it does not make any more money

Is this English?

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 pm

coasterbill wrote:
livai wrote:unfortunately and the price to pay. the park no longer works, or better: it does not make any more money

Is this English?

A purer form than you or I could ever comprehend.
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm

^&^^ Please remember that not everyone on the forum speaks English as their first language, especially one who lists his location as not in the US.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!