Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:13 am

So what am I missing here? Unless the 'secret' element is a shed that transports you to a better, longer ride, this does not look like anything.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 am

SharkTums wrote:Unless the 'secret' element is a shed that transports you to a better, longer ride

... like the log flume that used to be there? :lol:

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:56 am

SharkTums wrote:So what am I missing here? Unless the 'secret' element is a shed that transports you to a better, longer ride, this does not look like anything.

My thoughts exactly! I feel like the UK overhypes every single one of their rides.

Although Icon looks fantastic, so that’s an exception.
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Rooey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:30 am

I don't get what this secret element can be either , I also don't understand how these rides cost so much comparable to US ones when Merlin always seems to build "half a ride" lately.

The loft hill does seem an unusual incline at the bottom .

Thinking of the space the Log Flume had, I know they have height issues but still. They probably spend half the budget on the statue or whatever that is under wraps.

Maybe the gimmick is a room where you have a virtual ride on the old log flume, I don't know

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby 1aflack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 am

It's just a decent family ride with I would imagine a 1.2 meter height restriction replacing another family ride that was very old and tired and nobody rode. Merlin have been incredibly guilty before of over-hyping stuff but they haven't released much yet apart from a name and logo and a few videos.

This is just coaster enthusiasts building a fun family coaster up into something it's not. I'm sure my 5 year old daughter is going to love it and that's what Merlin want through the gates, families that spend the money.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

Admittedly I don't know much about many overseas parks, but I have looked into AT pretty extensively and have learned a bit about the park over the past few years, with very real interest in eventually visiting at some point.

But I gotta say since this project has begun I've been over here like

why.gif

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby 1aflack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:38 am

Rooey wrote:I don't get what this secret element can be either , I also don't understand how these rides cost so much comparable to US ones when Merlin always seems to build "half a ride" lately.

The loft hill does seem an unusual incline at the bottom .

Thinking of the space the Log Flume had, I know they have height issues but still. They probably spend half the budget on the statue or whatever that is under wraps.

Maybe the gimmick is a room where you have a virtual ride on the old log flume, I don't know

Does it actually have a world's first, maybe I've missed it (probably have) but I don't remember seeing anything offically released saying there is a world's first element? Is it not just guess work as Merlin normally try and attach a gimmick?

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby 1aflack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 am

boldikus wrote:Admittedly I don't know much about many overseas parks, but I have looked into AT pretty extensively and have learned a bit about the park over the past few years, with very real interest in eventually visiting at some point.

But I gotta say since this project has begun I've been over here like

why.gif

Because the park has a tired 30 year old flume ride that needed to be replaced and needed another family ride to replace it with. This is much the same as Mystic Timbers, Heidi or InvadR.

Postby JordyC » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am

It doesn't even have to be a world's first coaster, it can just have a feature which can be marketed as a world's first for Merlin to be satisfied.

Maybe the world's first is that it is the world's first attraction to be named SW8 during construction? :roll:
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 5. Taron - Phantasialand 6. Helix - Liseberg 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 45

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 am

Rooey wrote:Maybe the gimmick is a room where you have a virtual ride on the old log flume, I don't know

Literally no chance of this, there is a pre show, but it'll be all to do with the theme

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!