Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 580: Gangsta Granny: The Ride to debut in Spring 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby TheoB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

SharkTums wrote:Did that movie do well in the UK? I don't think most people in the US even remember that film.

Don't think so, but I guess its the only IP that really goes with a wooden coaster. I hadn't even heard of it until now!
Helix|Balder|Wildfire|Nemesis|Furius Baco

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Moley » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Part 2 of the Nemesis monster's refurbishment is complete

The monster refurbishment is such a huge task to scenically repaint, it's actually scheduled over 4 years, with next year being the back of the station and the following year the roof.

Unfortunately we still don't have a solution for turning the water red again, it's still in our long term intentions to get it back, however it will require a significant change to the current set up in how the water is stored and used.

Unfortunately even a substance that is harmless to the environment can still cause visual pollution in rivers and as such on instruction from the environment agency we cannot reintroduce dye at this time.

Source: 'Towers Loving Care' Facebook page.
C6f4nqNXMAAZo0b.jpg
C6f4sAhXMAEcqmi.jpg
C6f4xAoWYAMGkJ0.jpg
Last edited by Moley on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:34 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 pm

That looks outstanding.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:23 pm

SharkTums wrote:Did that movie do well in the UK? I don't think most people in the US even remember that film.

I remember that film for how terrible Nick Cage is in it
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby thedazza » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:18 pm

When photos of The Flume being demolished were put on twitter, or facebook, can't remember which, they had a caption saying something along the lines of "clearing the area for "The Wicker Man" ride". The post was quickly deleted, and there was speculation at the time that it would be the name of the coaster, I thought it could just be a codename they were using (SW seems these days to be geared more towards being something they use to hype up enthusiasts rather than an in-house project name). But I think this trademark application all but confirms that it will be the name.
I know it is quite an unusual name for a coaster, but remember this is the same park that called their last 3 big coasters RITA, Th13teen and The Smiler.

It will most probably not be themed to either of the movies but to what the movies were based on, Pagan and Druid rituals. There is supposed to be a big themeing element where the old flume station was. My guess is that will either be a wickerman statue, or possibly a model of stone henge.
On the plans the entrance to the queue line is in Mutiny Bay. Not sure how this would fit into a Pirates theme, so could be seeing a re-theme of the area.

Seems quite a dark theme for a family ride. Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes with Th13teen when it comes to marketing it.
Last edited by thedazza on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:04 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Can say the same for Arthur and The Invisibles

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=arthurandtheinvisibles.htm

Made a little over 15m in the US and Europa made a whole land about it.
Proud Member of the 800th Coaster in 2019

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:37 pm

And what about that "Waterworld" flick, hmm? ;)

Attractions based on "box office failed" movies still happen.

Wierd, but true.
db_ART_AtantisBase1.jpg
What never came to be, because the animated film did not $ucceed.
In DL's submarine lagoon, a long, long time ago. Then, they Nemo-ed it.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby cookiex » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 pm

I think when they name it "The Wicker Man" they're referencing the 1973 Edward Woodward version (which is regarded as one of the greatest British films ever made), not the 2006 Nic Cage remake.
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 91

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby CSLKennyNI » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:

Can say the same for Arthur and The Invisibles

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=arthurandtheinvisibles.htm

Made a little over 15m in the US and Europa made a whole land about it.

I believe the books the film is based on are very popular in France and as Europa is on thr German-French border a lot of their visitors from France so in it made sense for their clientele. They aren't trying to attract Americans.

While the Wicker Man on the other hand doesn't really make sense at all. Yes it is a classic British film from the 70s but do enough people in the UK know of it for that to be an attractive IP?
From a theming prospective it could look impressive with a large wicker man in the area that the coaster goes around or even through.
Thirteen was a bit of a dark theme for a family coaster but pagans setting people on fire is on a whole new level for a family ride theme.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Moley » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:37 pm

This weekend saw Services Day (emergency services, NHS and armed forces) at the park and another twist in the SW8 story. The park map for the event, which has also been updated to include the reopening Hex and Driving School, indicates that the ride will be considered part of Gloomy Wood, which is currently only home to Duel.
2018map.jpg
fghjk.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!