Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby TheoB » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:51 pm

thedazza wrote:
There was a formal screening option submitted in march 2015 for a coaster in forbidden valley made from timber truss, which if rumours are to be believed was going to be an RMC launched woodie, like Lightning Rod but with inversions and was probably going to be built to open next year. That would have been easy for them to market as could have been advertised as Europe's first launched woodie, or World's first launched inverting wood coaster (they would have gone with the World first marketing, it is Merlin we are talking about afterall). Then The Smiler crashed and a looping launched wooden coaster became the wrong choice given the general public's safety concerns, so they have gone with a family thrill coaster, but will still be Europe's first launching woodie so they still get the USP.
It is a shame that they never built one while John Wardley was there, maybe this is one of his designs that they have modified to include a launch, but he said he's had nothing to with this ride, so probably not.

I think they could possibly try and pull off 'World's first fully wooden launch coaster,' and argue that Lightning Rod has too much steel to count as a woodie.
Helix|Balder|Wildfire|Nemesis|Furius Baco

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:23 am

TheoB wrote:
thedazza wrote:
There was a formal screening option submitted in march 2015 for a coaster in forbidden valley made from timber truss, which if rumours are to be believed was going to be an RMC launched woodie, like Lightning Rod but with inversions and was probably going to be built to open next year. That would have been easy for them to market as could have been advertised as Europe's first launched woodie, or World's first launched inverting wood coaster (they would have gone with the World first marketing, it is Merlin we are talking about afterall). Then The Smiler crashed and a looping launched wooden coaster became the wrong choice given the general public's safety concerns, so they have gone with a family thrill coaster, but will still be Europe's first launching woodie so they still get the USP.
It is a shame that they never built one while John Wardley was there, maybe this is one of his designs that they have modified to include a launch, but he said he's had nothing to with this ride, so probably not.

I think they could possibly try and pull off 'World's first fully wooden launch coaster,' and argue that Lightning Rod has too much steel to count as a woodie.

If it goes 50mph+, It can claim to be UK's fastest wooden coaster
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby MagicAngel94 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 am

I would love to see an explosion inside the indoor section and then launched onto the lift hill caused by the explosion

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:40 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:If it goes 50mph+, It can claim to be UK's fastest wooden coaster

Good point. That's probably the easiest record for this to claim, and it's one that is decently legitimate too. Just looking at RCDB, there are several GCIs around the size of this project that break 50mph:

Apocalypse - 50
Gold Striker - 53
Lightning Racer - 51
Prowler - 51
Renegade - 51
Roar - 50
Thunderhead - 53
Troy - 54
Wildcat - 50

Seems like that record would be very doable.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby scottjenkins » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:39 am

Megafobia was reaching 55mph when I did my marathon ride 2 months ago so I'll be keeping an eye on Altons claim!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby CSLKennyNI » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:56 am

Lane IP, the company that represents Merlin on trademark applications, had applied to trademark 'The Wicker Man'.

Most likely this is related to SW8 given that a worker when the Flume was being deconstructed tweeted saying it was making way for a Wicker Man ride. (the tweet was later removed)

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/016221269

They're hardly going to name the coaster 'The Wicker Man' are they?
Some people aren't pleased as SW8 was expected to be more of a family coaster and the Wicker Man film is not very family friendly. People are fearing a repeat of the marketing for Thirteen.
Shall be interesting to see what happens.

The Wicker Man film is owned by LionsGate which also own the SAW franchise so Merlin do have previously worked with them.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 am

^Really, really hope that doesn't end up being the name

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am

Looks like I picked 2018 as the perfect year to go to the UK for the first time. Alton Towers is getting a new coaster and Blackpool is getting a new coaster. Awesome! Thorpe isn't getting one, but I'm hitting what looks to be the best three parks in the UK next year.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am

Did that movie do well in the UK? I don't think most people in the US even remember that film.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby scottjenkins » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

SharkTums wrote:Did that movie do well in the UK? I don't think most people in the US even remember that film.

Nope but I honestly wouldn't be suprised if they called it something like that, I still haven't warmed to RITA and The Smiler as names to be fair! :b

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!