Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:44 pm

I usually don't keep track of costs but isn't £15 million much higher than any previous GCI coasters?
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:14 pm

^ That comes out to $19 million USD, and yes, that's high. Most GCIs are in the $10 million range.

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:52 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:^ That comes out to $19 million USD, and yes, that's high. Most GCIs are in the $10 million range.

I'll bet a few bucks are going to theming and the launch system, But geez 19m is just shy of Lightning Rod.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:05 pm

^I wouldn't discount whatever that element underneath the lift hill is as possibly contributing to the higher cost... I'd imagine Mystic Timbers' surprise in the shed will... shed light on the possibilities for Secret Weapon 8. ;)
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:12 pm

I hear Britain has an expert on sheds.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby n1ch0las » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:14 am

Ah, details in news articles are so important not to get wrong.

Plans of the 200 metre high wooden coaster have now emerged.

600 ft tall wooden coaster? I thought they couldn't build above the tree line! :lmao:

http://blooloop.com/link/alton-towers-coaster-secret-weapon-sw8/
Favorite Steel - 5. Skyrush 4. Bizarro 3. Maverick 2. New Texas Giant 1. X2
Favorite Wood - 5. Outlaw Run 4. Ravine Flyer II 3. Phoenix 2. The Voyage 1. El Toro
Total Coasters - 355

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:^I wouldn't discount whatever that element underneath the lift hill is as possibly contributing to the higher cost... I'd imagine Mystic Timbers' surprise in the shed will... shed light on the possibilities for Secret Weapon 8. ;)

I doubt there will be much in the shed except for Screens/AA

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby xstech25 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:24 am

Saw John Wardley giving a presentation a few years back and during Q&A someone asked why Alton Towers didn't have a wooden coaster. He said that he constantly tried to get a wooden coaster but Nick Varney would never build one because he didn't think they were marketable enough (no gimmick). Its kind of funny how now that Wardley is retired, it looks like AT is going to finally get a wooden coaster. And not only are they getting a wooden coaster but its likely going to be a GCI which are the least gimmicky of the new generation of wooden coasters (don't go upside down, at least).

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:32 pm

xstech25 wrote:Saw John Wardley giving a presentation a few years back and during Q&A someone asked why Alton Towers didn't have a wooden coaster. He said that he constantly tried to get a wooden coaster but Nick Varney would never build one because he didn't think they were marketable enough (no gimmick). Its kind of funny how now that Wardley is retired, it looks like AT is going to finally get a wooden coaster. And not only are they getting a wooden coaster but its likely going to be a GCI which are the least gimmicky of the new generation of wooden coasters (don't go upside down, at least).

Isn't it launching? Plus I guess they decided to play it safe after Smilers.... You know. And I thought John was working on this. Remember, he did retire in 2000-2002.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby thedazza » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 pm

xstech25 wrote:Saw John Wardley giving a presentation a few years back and during Q&A someone asked why Alton Towers didn't have a wooden coaster. He said that he constantly tried to get a wooden coaster but Nick Varney would never build one because he didn't think they were marketable enough (no gimmick). Its kind of funny how now that Wardley is retired, it looks like AT is going to finally get a wooden coaster. And not only are they getting a wooden coaster but its likely going to be a GCI which are the least gimmicky of the new generation of wooden coasters (don't go upside down, at least).

There was a formal screening option submitted in march 2015 for a coaster in forbidden valley made from timber truss, which if rumours are to be believed was going to be an RMC launched woodie, like Lightning Rod but with inversions and was probably going to be built to open next year. That would have been easy for them to market as could have been advertised as Europe's first launched woodie, or World's first launched inverting wood coaster (they would have gone with the World first marketing, it is Merlin we are talking about afterall). Then The Smiler crashed and a looping launched wooden coaster became the wrong choice given the general public's safety concerns, so they have gone with a family thrill coaster, but will still be Europe's first launching woodie so they still get the USP.
It is a shame that they never built one while John Wardley was there, maybe this is one of his designs that they have modified to include a launch, but he said he's had nothing to with this ride, so probably not.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!