Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1207: $5.5 million in investments planned for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Mammoth and Sparkler Open!

Postby chargersmichael » Tue May 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby palmerleeberry » Thu May 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Oh Wow! =)

Seeing those pictures of both Mammoth and Sparkler in action got me excited for August. Nothing wrong with the pictures, but if you showed a shot of some pretty girls in bikinis riding Mammoth, then I would really be excited. Maybe I'll get lucky when I go up there and I get to sit with some pretty girls that looks like they came off of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition on the ride (it has happened to me before, years ago in another park). Then again, I maybe sitting with a bunch of riders that don't look like they came off of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition (that has happened to me many times). But regardless who I sit next too, one fact is clear: Mammoth is gonna be one sexy ride!

:pillow: "Hey, what about me? I'm still one sexy pillow."

Postby Wes » Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 pm

:pillow: "Why do you do this?"
Last edited by Wes on Thu May 24, 2012 2:52 pm.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Wes wrote: :pillow: "Why do you do this?"

I think it will help in his criminal defense.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Nozzy » Thu May 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I had a trip out to St. Louis to help a friend last Friday and got to stop at Holiday World to break up the drive.

Mammoth is indeed huge. We were on the first raft of the day (after some late testing, the first raft couldn't quite make it through). It was a ton of fun, and does get you very wet, much more so than Wildebeest. I was expecting a bit more spinning but perhaps having differently balanced rafts will make some spin more. The ride is also very long, and well worth a wait. The queue already seems set up so that there is a separate line for the 8-person rafts vs 6-person (as well as a single rider line). With all the commotion at Mammoth there was no one at all at Wildebeest, so we got quite a few rides in there too, and it still packs a punch.

Sparkler was fun, but not too exciting compared to the bigger models at other parks, but its nice that there was a replacement for Paul Revere. On the other hand, Liberty Launch continues to be my favorite S&S Tower for being so tiny.

Finally, Voyage seemed much more smooth than my May visit 2 years ago. That being said, it still can't be marathoned like El Toro and probably will still be too rough for some people's tastes, but I was just as amazed with it this visit as I was on my first. I probably had about 10 rides over the day, which was probably 2 or 3 more than I should have. Glad I got the PTCs one last time, but looking forward to Timberliners next year (hopefully). All 3 woodies are still great rides, everyone should get out to Holiday World!

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 pm

^Everyone was at Mammoth, less a line at Wildebeest?!
:nina:

Thanks for the written report. I'm super excited to be able to ride it when I get to Holiwood Nights. Looks amazing, and Sparkler sounds like something I expected. Nothing amazing due to its size, but still a nice addition to the park.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Postby chargersmichael » Sat May 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Another new video has been posted by Holiday World of Mammoth. This video shows a good look at the ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9oQ_pkfJ5W0
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Mammoth looks great (as expected), but I really like the way Sparkler looks. It really does fit into the area and matches Liberty Launch well!

Trip Report 6/14/12

Postby chargersmichael » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:14 am

We got to the park at 9:00 and waited at the rope. We went straight to the Voyage. We were on the second train of the day in the front row...I've never ridden before until then...it was really smooth for a wooden and is second on my wooden coaster list (behind El Toro). Then we went to the waterpark (9:52) and we got all of our stuff on and ready so we can win the race to Mammoth...as soon as they let us in...it was a footrace there. I got there first but my dad was slow so I waited for him...we were on the second boat of the day. It was amazing! My only complaint is that the water was freezing and when you go up and down the hills, the mist sprayers make it so you can't see. Other than that...it was great. When we got off...the line was out the entrance...we then headed for Wildebeest...no wait...until it broke down when I was on it...I never rode it before. As we went up the first hill...it seemed like somthing was wrong...we barely made it...then we made it half way up the second hill before reversing back down...I was with my dad and two younger cousins...we had a total of about 500 lbs. So it wasnt us...we waited and got to cut the line and then after 20 minutes...they got it back up and running. After that we did Bakuli, Zinga, Zoombabwe...Jungle Racers...and Otorongo. We ate lunch and went to the theme park...it was getting crowded in water park. We went straight to the Legend and there wasn't a single person in the station...we walked on the front row! It was the four of us and two other ppl on the train. I had a lot of fun and it was pretty smooth! Then we did the Flying Eagles, Liberty Launch like 5 times, Sparkler, Frightful Falls(worst water ride), and Raging Rapids all in like 30 minutes...there was no wait for anything! Then we did the Voyage again in the front row...I only had to wait two trains for the front but the workers were so bad. There were 6 of them too...I was waiting I think 15-20 minutes for them to dispatch those trains. Then we did Pilgrims Plunge...it was closed the Ambulance was there earlier but we did it anyway when it reopened. I thought that it was a waste of time...You don't even get wet! After that...we headed for the Raven on our way out. Did front and back rows. There was one train...one person checking restraints...and one person dispatching and they did great! They were really quick!

Overall...for my first time...I had a blast!!!! My only complaint is the temperature of the water park water. Other than that...it was amazing!!! Good job HW!

Postby Wes » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:24 am

Paragraphs are a fun thing.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!