Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1230: Cheetah Chase launched racing slides announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby JG-77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:45 am

IMO, with some wooden coasters a slight-to-moderate amount of roughness can make it more exciting than if it was glass smooth.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:04 pm

They’d still have two of those at Holiday World if Voyage got some sort of RMC treatment. The time and money the park would save to not have to do such extensive work on Voyage every season could be spent to keep Raven and Legend in tip-top shape more consistently.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:16 pm

They'll never RMC it. Remember, the people who now own the park, their dad, Will Koch was a co-designer of that ride and they consider it to be his masterpiece. Lets give them a chance to continue to re-track the ride like they have been doing so over the past years, because what they've been doing has worked tremendously in my opinion. They've only re-tracked 1500 feet the 6,442 feet in the last two years, so they definitely have more to do.

Oh and to RMC this ride, it would cost them upwards of 25 million or more to do it (when compared to SV price tag). It would have to be the biggest coaster RMC has ever created to this point. They would already have the worlds longest Hybrid coaster, but to even get the tallest and fastest from BG, they would have to add 53 feet to the lift (It would make the ride 223 feet tall with a 207 foot drop!) which is probably around what they'll need to just complete the layout. If you haven't noticed, they haven't spent more than 7 million in a year since Thundebird, so the chances of it happening are slim.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:54 am

I love Voyage how it is, a traditional wooden-tracked coaster. The trains are great, too; can be rough, but gives you a real roller coaster ride. My last rough ride on Voyage was 2011; it gets it's spots every year, no biggie.

When they built Voyage, they probably knew how much it would cost to maintain and willing to do that in order to have such a unique, awesome and popular, coaster.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:54 pm

I don't even think Voyage is the roughest coaster in the park- Raven has always been consistently rougher on all of my visits, especially towards the end.

I love RMC, but I hope they stay away from Voyage.
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Just reading the last few pages is giving me a headache :lol:

Postby prozach626 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:26 am

Woodie Warrior wrote:I don't even think Voyage is the roughest coaster in the park- Raven has always been consistently rougher on all of my visits, especially towards the end.

I think they're all uncomfortable. I actually hate Legend. Like hate. Raven jack hammered the shit out of me on my last two visits. Voyage is one of those pain vs. please scenarios, but after a ride or two I'm tapped out. If they sold beer I'd probably be all about Voyage.

This park is only three hours away from me. I never go. I pass by several times a year for KI or other parks.

For me, Holiday World is where I can ride a great ride like Thunderbird. When I'm not doing that I can get the shit kicked out of me by all three of their wooden coasters or wait shirtless in hour long lines for water coasters when I'm not wading elbow to elbow in the wave pool. It would be more of a fun place to grab a couple beers, but again...

Everyone raves about the Thanksgiving dinner. No doubt, it's pretty good. But to call it delicious like so many do is a little overstated. The soft drinks are wasted on me, because one I treat myself to my one park Coke/Pepsi I'm all about water.

Holiday World is a nice little park and it's exceptionally clean and friendly. People love it, but it's not my cup of tea. Sometimes I think about going, but it's just not worth my time since KK is an hour away and KI is about two hours away. I wished I liked it more. I'm willing to bet my opinion will change drastically when and if we have a kid.

Honorable mention to Gobbler's Getaway as being awesome.

Postby DILinator » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:49 am

prozach626 wrote:
Woodie Warrior wrote:I don't even think Voyage is the roughest coaster in the park- Raven has always been consistently rougher on all of my visits, especially towards the end.

I think they're all uncomfortable. I actually hate Legend. Like hate. Raven jack hammered the shit out of me on my last two visits.

I haven't ridden Legend since it got re-tracked, but I sure did dislike it before. Not sure if I'd go to the point of hate, but not far off. I also thought Raven was overrated, and a bit rougher than I expected.

However, I absolutely love The Voyage, and consider it my favorite Wooden coaster at the moment! I know it's not "smooth", but at least on all of my rides on it (admittedly taken earlier in the season), I've found the roughness to be very tolerable, and the ride delivered to be wild, crazy, and intense in all the right ways!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 am

I visited HW on June 22nd(along with KK) and I loved the Voyage. Didn’t think it was rough at all but not perfectly smooth either. As for the other woodies I enjoyed the Raven more than the Legend. Heck I’d say even Thunder Road was better than the Legend. What killed my ride on the Legend was that helix towards the end. There was just way too much jackhammering during it.
Just like the Beast thought there’s no way the Voyage is ever going to get the RMC treatmeant. I think at the most they should switch the PTC trains to either the timberliners(like they had originally planned to do) or millennium flyers.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am

Ah, another chapter in the books for Voyage. What a fascinating history. I'm sure the locals aren't happy about it being closed since that's one of 5 major attractions closed for the rest of the year on top of the water park now being closed.

I wonder what they're going to do differently to help it sustain a smoother ride season long. I've only been to HW in May so I have great memories of the Voyage and only hope for the best, whatever the solution may be.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!