Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1928: Calypso Springs coming to Hurricane Harbor!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby TheAmericanKnight » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:50 pm

coasterbill wrote::lol: Wow, this is somehow more off-the-rails than the SFNE thread.

Thought us folks at the Six Flags Darien Lake thread were the worst. Gives us credit where it is due. :p

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby logrog04 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:52 pm

TheAmericanKnight wrote:
coasterbill wrote::lol: Wow, this is somehow more off-the-rails than the SFNE thread.

Thought us folks at the Six Flags Darien Lake thread were the worst. Gives us credit where it is due. :p

Whenever someone mentions CUDA FALLS take a drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Home Parks: Six Flags New England & Six Flags Great Escape
The Comet is the best!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby JG-77 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Guys you know she reads this thread too, right? One cannot escape her by simply jumping to this thread.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I Love Donkeys!

Postby qwimjim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:31 am

Thinking of driving down to Great Adventure this weekend, debating between Saturday and Sunday. Main goal is to ride Ka and Toro, I know Kingda Ka shuts down if its windy or raining.. does it just shut down while it's raining and once the rain stops it gets going again, or can rain shut it down for a good portion of the day even if the skies clear?

Saturday has no rain but gusts up to 26mph, possible morning shower and I assume bigger crowds than Easter Sunday which has gusts of 17mph and "a few showers".. but less people?

If things stay this way, what do you think is the better day of the two? Thanks!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am

My gut tells me that the ride will run both days because generally they pretty much don't give a f*ck. It reopens quickly from wind and rain closures unless the park is dead and they don't care. I'd almost shoot for Saturday hoping that it's busy because the extent to which they care about weather is directly tied to how busy the park is.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 am

Bill kinda beat me to it but I think you should try for Sunday instead. Here's why.

Firstly, there is no rhyme or reason to crowds at this park. The whole "It may be less crowded thing because its Sunday/Easter/etc" thing does not apply here. In fact, I feel like Sundays are busier in my experience.

There are no events listed for this weekend on the website or Facebook page (other than the week-long Spring Break thing they're doing and "Talent Auditions" on Saturday) and no BAF specials other than a general all-April-long BAF for $15.99 thing that I can see in the app which shouldn't necessarily have a substantial effect on crowds either day this weekend.

So, based solely on the weather forecast, I would go with whichever day you think the weather will be better for riding Ka and Toro. In this case, as of right now? I'd pick Sunday. Why? Saturday has crappy weather all morning and cloudy weather all afternoon which could lead to no one showing up which could lead to the park closing early which is not out of the question at all for this place. If people show you'll have nothing to worry about but with that forecast it'll be a crapshoot.

Alternatively, Sunday has rain in the morning for a shorter time period and will clear up and looks like it will be a nice afternoon with less rain and wind. It will be more crowded Sunday, but if you're traveling far, I think the better chance of having a good day is Sunday.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby qwimjim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 am

Wow really, they would close early on a weekend? That's crazy. Guess I'll just play it by ear and check the forecast Friday night and see what's what. Thanks for the advice, what do you guys find is the best site for forecast in this area?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am

If it's Fright Fest they would open the park in a hurricane. If the park is dead they will close for a light drizzle.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am

qwimjim wrote:Wow really, they would close early on a weekend? That's crazy. Guess I'll just play it by ear and check the forecast Friday night and see what's what. Thanks for the advice, what do you guys find is the best site for forecast in this area?

My default has become the National Weather Service website. No ads, no distractions, just straight-up weather.

Also, everything Boldikus and Bill have mentioned is 100% accurate, at least based off of trends from the last couple years' operations.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 am

I think it's pretty unlikely the place will be dead on a weekend day this time of year but if the weather is just crappy enough and only a few hundred or less show and/or they're losing money paying people for nothing, they will not hesitate to close early. It's sorta become their thing the last few years.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!