Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1963: Wonder Woman : Lasso of Truth Media Day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 22 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby michaellynn4 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Even though most enthusiasts would probably prefer new slides or a water coaster, this is the right decision for the park. Management needed something to alleviate some of the "capacity" concerns the park gets on its busiest days, and a large pool complex helps achieve that.

Now maybe a water coaster in a couple more years? :br
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Highridin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:51 pm

[coastertube][/coastertube]
coasterbill wrote:You know that your home Six Flags opens the same weeke....

... you know what, good call. Have fun at Great Adventure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, but he can go to his home park on the 6th after work. What I'm doing. :b
Top 3 steel: Skyrush, Twisted Timbers, I305
Top 3 wood: El Toro, Twister, Wild One

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Highridin wrote:[coastertube][/coastertube]
coasterbill wrote:You know that your home Six Flags opens the same weeke....

... you know what, good call. Have fun at Great Adventure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, but he can go to his home park on the 6th after work. What I'm doing. :b

And actually, I'll have more opportunities to go to my park this year. I rearranged my schedule so now my off days are Sunday/Monday :)

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:03 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:Six Flags Great Adventure has sent out a press release announcing Calypso Springs, the largest expansion to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in the water park's history!

Holy shit they remembered they own a water park! $5 they're feeling the heat from the new American Dream water park finally opening this year.

I believe it is going here:
https://goo.gl/maps/M4qFyw9meus

Anyone know what was there before?

Space is much smaller than Blue Lagoon though....oh wait, King Cobra was removed right? I guess it will take up that entire area.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:36 pm

jamesinclair wrote:
jedimaster1227 wrote:Six Flags Great Adventure has sent out a press release announcing Calypso Springs, the largest expansion to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in the water park's history!
Holy shit they remembered they own a water park! $5 they're feeling the heat from the new American Dream water park finally opening this year.

LOL.

That would require...
1. American Dream to actually open. It won't.
2. The two parks to share a market. They don't, despite the close proximity. They're not concerned about Mountain Creek/Action Park, which is a substantially larger and bigger waterpark than whatever ends up at American Dream, either, because they don't share a market.

My understanding is that it's going largely where King Kobra (the red/white slide in that picture) was, in addition to that large open sand area, which has always been a large open sand area. They used to use that area for concerts...I remember seeing Third Eye Blind there back in like 2005.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Mike240SX wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:

LOL.

That would require...
1. American Dream to actually open. It won't.
2. The two parks to share a market. They don't, despite the close proximity. They're not concerned about Mountain Creek/Action Park, which is a substantially larger and bigger waterpark than whatever ends up at American Dream, either, because they don't share a market.

My understanding is that it's going largely where King Kobra (the red/white slide in that picture) was, in addition to that large open sand area, which has always been a large open sand area. They used to use that area for concerts...I remember seeing Third Eye Blind there back in like 2005.

It looks pretty damn likely that American Dream will hit their deadlines this year.

I think the parks absolutely share a market. Mountain Creek is isolated, has no nearby highways, and no transit. According to Google Maps, it is 1 hour 40 from Manhattan, vs Six Flags which is 1 hour 10 minutes. American Dream is just 16 minutes from Manhattan (obviously not at rush hour)

Never mind the whole marketing thing. Six Flags is obviously an incredibly well known brand. The Poconos water parks are less known, but do tons of ads. I have never in my life see a Mountain Creek ad.

Anyway, interesting that the sand area has never been a ride. I wonder if the new project (including seating areas) include the entire space.

Postby Satans Hockey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:04 am

Six Flags isn't "feeling the heat" from the American Dream mall. They are simply replacing an attraction with a new one since it was really needed because the water park isn't that big to begin with and reaches capacity quite a lot during the summer.

The competition isn't there and no matter how the theme and water parks turn out at American Dream it will still never be a competition and it was never supposed to be, especially with the theme park. Great adventure offers and has rides that American dream mall simply can't match due to the size of the place. I do think the parks will be great when they open but I just don't see it as a competition, even more so because six flags offers ridiculously cheap and reasonable season tickets considering they are basically open all year now.
Last edited by Satans Hockey on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:11 am.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:33 am

michaellynn4 wrote:Even though most enthusiasts would probably prefer new slides or a water coaster, this is the right decision for the park. Management needed something to alleviate some of the "capacity" concerns the park gets on its busiest days, and a large pool complex helps achieve that.

Now maybe a water coaster in a couple more years? :br

Couldn't agree more. If I ever get dragged to a waterpark, I spend most of the time in the lazy river, wave pool, or those shipwreck bucket contraptions that you can get on without a line. I just don't see the appeal to holding your tube for an hour, inching along at a snail's pace 100 feet off the ground, for a 20 second ride.

I think that any attraction that they can do for the waterpark that's high capacity is the smart play.

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:28 am

Satans Hockey wrote:Six Flags isn't "feeling the heat" from the American Dream mall. They are simply replacing an attraction with a new one since it was really needed because the water park isn't that big to begin with and reaches capacity quite a lot during the summer.

The competition isn't there and no matter how the theme and water parks turn out at American Dream it will still never be a competition and it was never supposed to be, especially with the theme park. Great adventure offers and has rides that American dream mall simply can't match due to the size of the place. I do think the parks will be great when they open but I just don't see it as a competition, even more so because six flags offers ridiculously cheap and reasonable season tickets considering they are basically open all year now.

I am talking about the water park, not the general theme park.

Hurricane Harbor reaches capacity because there really hasnt been any meaningful competition in NJ.

Obviously, a mall can never act as a replacement to a theme park. But a water park? HH is pretty damn basic, none of the attractions are unique.

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:56 am

jamesinclair wrote:Hurricane Harbor reaches capacity because there really hasnt been any meaningful competition in NJ.

All of the following are as large or larger than the waterpark will be at American Dream, and are within a two hour radius of the park, as competition for Hurricane Harbor:
-Mountain Creek, Vernon
-Wildwater Kingdom, Allentown PA
-Morey's Ocean Oasis, Wildwood
-Morey's Raging Waters, Wildwood
-Splash Zone, Wildwood
-Breakwater Beach, Seaside Heights
-Runaway Rapids, Keansburg

You can come up with a million reasons why none of those parks "count" as competition for HH, and every one of those reasons other than "it's not near NYC" will apply for American Dream as well. The only people who will possibly go to American Dream instead of Hurricane Harbor are from the city. A demographic they can more than keep.

The amount of times that HH "hits capacity" is also vastly overblown. It happens may 3 or 4 times a year, on super-hot days.

Obviously, a mall can never act as a replacement to a theme park. But a water park? HH is pretty damn basic, none of the attractions are unique.

I'm never one to defend Six Flags, but they have probably the longest lazy river in the region, and every type of slide you could want other than a water coaster and capsule drops. Tube slides, body slides, speed slides, mat-racer, giant family raft, and a tornado. What more do you want? No waterpark has unique rides...there are only so many variants of water slide in existence.

I can tell you that as "basic" as it is, it has three to four times the amount of things (separate slides, lazy river, wave pool, this new pool, and kiddie areas) to do than the waterpark at American Dream will ever have.

You're also ignoring the key fact that American Dream will never, ever open. This is NJ. They'll mysteriously "run out of funds" and demand more from the state government, or some NIMBY group, the Giants/Jets, or some developer that didn't get their fair share will file lawsuit to stop it. Just you wait.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!