Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby BDD27 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:45 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Cyborg was a lot better than expected. For one it opened. Two, maybe I just got a unicorn ride but I got at least a dozen flips.

Also hats off to the park for having two trains on Batman.

Cyborg always seems to break on me when I am there is it comparable to Twister at all? I've heard mixed things on Cyborg and I'm still waiting for my opportunity to ride :lol:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:18 pm

I went there first for that reason. I definitely liked it better than Twister. My second ride (full load) definitely wasn't as wild as my first when there were only four people onboard.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:36 pm

boldikus wrote:
coasterbill wrote:This is true but honestly I think they'll do fine tomorrow crowd-wise (I'm thinking at least on par with last Sunday). I wouldn't be worried. Let's bet a Shipwreck Cider on it. :lol:

How about just a regular cider since they cut those stupid spiked ciders in half and raised the price by a dollar.

Looks like they're going to make it to close. Though we have reached the part of the night where the outdoor coasters are starting to suffer from frostbite (aka temp closures).
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Postby coasterbill » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Is Batman actually still operating (which appears to be the case on queue times)?

I’ve never known them to have official temp closures but I’ve noticed that around 25 degrees the rides pretty much refuse to work. It could be a case of that, though if they did start closing coasters around 25 degrees after they pretty much broke every coaster except Green Lantern by the end of the event last year then that’s more than reasonable.

Postby coasterbill » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Nevermind :lol: :lol: :lol:
47FC859D-C36C-4388-863E-62B07742ADD6.jpeg

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 am

Nitro was down around 7:30 when I went to ride it. I'm not sure what the ride's issue was (other than being cold related). I stuck it out until they got it running just after 8. The reason it took so long was because all the maintenance guys were busy with the other rides. :lol:

Once Nitro opened, I had a beautiful marathon with several face freezing front row rides until it broke down 5 minutes before closing. It was seemingly because an idiot forced open the air gate.

coasterbill wrote:Is Batman actually still operating (which appears to be the case on queue times)?

Batman was a tank. It started with two trains and ran non-stop.
I ended there after Nitro closed. Batman must have gone down at some point to take it down to one train, but that may not have even been a breakdown.

coasterbill wrote:’ve never known them to have official temp closures but I’ve noticed that around 25 degrees the rides pretty much refuse to work

A few operators noted the rides had issues in sub-freezing temperatures, but it doesn't sound like there's a hard cutoff. I think they just ask Santa for the rides to work. Sometimes they do, other times they get coal.

For the most part, the mechanical issues I saw were minor and sorted out in 10-15 minutes. The oddest one was a Houdini breakdown where the preshow didn't work.

The biggest problem child of the night was Superman. I don't think Superman opened with the park and I didn't see it open until well after the sun set. I got a front row ride and ended up getting stuck in the station for 15 minutes.

The ride kept breaking down for the same thing. When the train returned to the station, they had issues with the back row's locking pin. The employees had to manually release it with a screwdriver before the train would lower from the flying position. They could send around an empty just fine, but with people, row 8 kept breaking down. After seeing this issue for the third time, I gave up trying to get a second ride on Superman and I don't think it reopened.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 am

:lol: That sounds about right. Generally speaking it seems like Six Flags doesn't have hard cutoffs but when the rides go down mechanical for anything they consider to be temperature related they just close the rides for the night (it seems like that's New England's strategy). As a fan, that "Run them as long as you can" policy is amazing as-is but Great Adventure really takes it to the next level when even if basically every coaster goes down right around the same time when it drops to the mid 20's they actually send maintenance out to fix them even as the temperatures continue to drop.

You can't not love it.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32 am

I feel like we should start a gofundme for a nice Xmas bonus for the maintenance dudes @ Great Adv, they probably hate this event so much. :lol: :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 am

I loved every minute of it. No one likes a ride breakdown, but I can't help but laugh it off in December considering the lunacy of the situation. Who would have thought we could ever ride a hyper coaster with the weather in the mid-20s?

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Sluggo77 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Looks like a lot of rain and with our three hour drive hopefully the park stays open Saturday as we are planning on going for our first HiTP at GA ever. Can’t wait!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!