Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 2025 - Hallowfest - New Halloween event for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 am

Some more details on the hotel/sports complex coming.

Gigantic sports dome, hotel to open next to Great Adventure
https://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2018/06/groundbreaking_hilton_great_adventure_jackson.html

adventure-crossing-rendering-jpg-e19e56575509664b.jpg

By Steve Strunsky
sstrunsky@njadvancemedia.com,

Roller coaster fans would have a nearby place to stay, and athletes from New Jersey and beyond would have indoor fields and courts to compete on, under a plan to build a Hilton Garden Hotel and a huge sports "bubble" on a site next door to Six Flax Great Adventure in Jackson Township.

South Jersey developer Vito Cardinale will host a groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday for his Adventure Crossing project, to be built on a 150-acre site on Monmouth Road adjacent to Great Adventure, the vast amusement and safari park complex in Ocean County that -- while well known for its dozen twisting, spinning, plunging thrill rides -- still lacks much in the way of surrounding overnight accommodations.

"We're trying to create an opportunity for Jersey families to come over and stay," Cardinale said in an interview on Monday. Referring to the absence of a hotel near the Six Flags chain's New Jersey property, Cardinale added, "They couldn't get it to work with just (the) one-day mentality of the park."

What Cardinale envisions adding to the area's allure is a reinforced inflatable dome that will measure 300 feet wide by 400 feet long and 89 feet tall -- an area nearly 3 acres in size -- containing basketball and volleyball courts, including a "show court" with spectator seating, as well as four multi-purpose turf fields, and a laser-tag area. Cardiale said the hotel and sports dome could be completed by 2020.

The space would also include a 12,000-square-foot mezzanine structure overlooking the playing areas, where workout classes and related activities could take place. Cardinale, a sports enthusiast who played catcher on his high school and college baseball teams, said he has talked to people affiliated with the National Football League and National Basketball Association about operating sports camps inside the sports dome, which will be available year-round.

At the same time, Cardinale said he has a deal with Hilton to build one of the brand's extended stay Hilton Garden Hotels on the site, which would attract guests of Great Adventure, as well as participants in athletic tournaments and other gatherings at the Adventure Crossing complex.

Cardinale said the hotel would also include a 10,000-square-foot banquet hall for conferences, awards ceremonies and other uses.

Cardinale said he has all the necessary approvals for the project. The 11 a.m. groundbreaking will kick off the installation of water and sewer mains, being laid at a cost of $9 million. Cardinale said the hotel and sports bubble will cost another $50 million, and that there will be additional development of restaurants, retail establishments and other sports-related uses to follow.

The bubble itself will also include facilities to accommodate non-sports activities related to sporting events or gatherings there, including sports bar and food concession areas and an arcade.

Cardinale said Six Flags Great Adventure is not involved in the Adventure Crossing project, although some of the land involved would be acquired from the theme park's owners.

Not everyone is eager to see the project completed. The New Jersey Sierra Club's director, Jeff Tittel, said the deforestation resulting from such a large project in the environmentally sensitive Pinelands region could negate the benefits of a deal his group and others struck in January with Great Adventure, which avoids the clear-cutting of 90 acres of forest that the theme park's owners had proposed for a solar farm.

"This will totally destroy the benefits we got from the deal to avoid the clear-cutting," Tittel said.

Steve Strunsky may be reached at sstrunsky@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @SteveStrunsky. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:11 pm

For those familiar with the park but too lazy to read the article, thus will be located near the WaWa, McDonald's intersection.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby ViperGTS500 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Have all the major coasters been operating normally the past few days before I make the 7 hour trek there tomorrow!?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm

All rides are currently posting as open except for Cyborg obviously because it never works :lol:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Sportsdude360 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:12 pm

Glad to hear about the new hotel. This park definitely needs one.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Lotologist492 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 pm

I am planning on visiting this park on Monday, July 9th. Any idea of how crowded (or not crowded) the park will be on a Monday? My last visit was in 2012 so I look forward to seeing all the additions since then!

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:21 am

This was discussed on the last page. It's impossible to predict crowd levels at this park. Nothing makes sense here.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:01 am

1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 am

The only piece of advice I can give you is that camps usually leave the park between 3&4. Coming from long island, over the past few years we would show up around 1 or 2, do the safari and then hang for the night for what seemed to be quiet crowds during the week.

However I do agree, crowds at great adventure make no sense. Ever.

Postby thrillrider » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:49 pm

At The park now.

Power just went out...rides stopped.
20180630_184445.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!