Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1928: Calypso Springs coming to Hurricane Harbor!
Users viewing this topic: njcoasterguy34 and 18 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:01 am

It was the first weekend of operations for the season with a bunch of new workers, that's always going to cause some delays.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby AndrewA86 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 am

Of course that is to be expected. I just didn't think it would be THAT bad.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:15 am

I put my phone, key, and wallet in my 3 zipped pockets on my jacket hoping they wouldn't notice it, and at the final check before the station the guy noticed I had something in a pocket and asked what it was, it was my phone but I told him it was my wallet and he said that was OK and let me go. So you can have a wallet in a zipped pocket but not a phone, or keys... yeah makes sense... The operations were also incredibly slow, but that was to be expected because they can't launch when the drop tower is working.

No, you can't have a wallet per the giant, giant sign at the queue entrance. The guy was doing you a favor. Generally they would send you out of the line to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and you'd have to return to the end of the line. I can't believe you snuck a phone into the line, lied to the ride op, he did you a favor and now you're complaining. :lol:

Look... the policy is dumb as sh*t but it's not that dude's fault. Just suck it up and follow the rules, and if you don't and a guy gives you a break because he probably knew you were probably lying but also knew the rule was stupid then certainly don't complain about it.

Personally we just get the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. It's annoying, but it is what it is.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:35 am

AndrewA86 wrote:Anyway, had a great time!

Glad to hear it, even though your complaints far outweigh anything you enjoyed. :lol:
AndrewA86 wrote:some parts are just plain ugly. Did Six Flags plunder Chernobyl for the materials to build the Batman and Nitro stations and queues?

AndrewA86 wrote:And finally, Green Lantern.

:lol: :lol: Definitely a first timer.
AndrewA86 wrote:El Toro is an excellent, fantastic, awesome ride but it didn't live up to the tremendous hype. The air time and intensity (which is what I like most about coasters) is there, no doubt about it. But I was also expecting a very smooth ride, and it wasn't. It wasn't rough either, I mean for a wooden coaster it was very smooth, but others have said it is as smooth as a B&M hyper, and that wasn't the case. So I was expecting it to challenge my top 3 (Lightning Rod, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge) and it fell well short of that. El Toro was one of the rides that was closed on Sunday. I'm not sure if and when it opened. Also, the operations was terrible. I timed several trains at over 4 minutes before leaving the station. On my 2 rides one was in the very back, and the other was in the middle. Maybe it's smoother in the front, but I don't know. But based on my experience, El Toro is definitely a ride that is well above average, but not elite.

Well, of course El Toro didn't live up to the hype. It's a wood coaster, it doesn't run as smooth as a B&M hyper. That's pure coaster boy hyperbole. You rode it on a chilly weekend in March when the park just opened for the season. It always runs slower on the shoulder season. Even then, Toro is only barely rough only on the turnaround. Did you sit in the magic seat or on wheel seat? Sounds like a wheel seat.

AndrewA86 wrote:Skull Mountain is another below average coaster IMO. It's a kiddie coaster in the dark. Didn't really do anything for me.

You didn't sit in the back, did you? Have you learned nothing from this board? The Mountain rejects you.

AndrewA86 wrote:This was my first time ever riding a Batman clone, and it was pretty underwhelming. I absolutely love the other 2 invert's I have ridden, Raptor, and Banshee, but Batman certainly is not as good as those. Based on the POVs I expected it to be a lot more intense, and it just wasn't. IMO it's an average coaster at best.

I don't understand how any of this is possible and I'm pretty sure you think you rode Batman but we're actually just on Harley Quinn or something. #fakenews

AndrewA86 wrote:Again, operations on this were very slow too.

AndrewA86 wrote:The operations were pretty slow both days.

AndrewA86 wrote:I already mentioned the very slow operations. Hopefully it's just because it's early in the season.

Ok so you went to a Six Flags park on opening weekend and expected the operations to be in mid-season form? Let me know where you got that good stuff, bud.

I also never understand when people note how dead a park is and then complain about operations - especially on an opening weekend. If the park is dead, who cares how fast they're getting trains out? Of course operations are bad at any opening weekend at any park - even a park like Cedar Point which is known for its incredible throughput - go in that thread after opening weekend and watch the onslaught of whining go on for the following two weeks. Expecting a Six Flags parks - especially Great Adventure - to be running at full tilt in March is hilarious.

Postby AndrewA86 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:55 am

coasterbill wrote:
I put my phone, key, and wallet in my 3 zipped pockets on my jacket hoping they wouldn't notice it, and at the final check before the station the guy noticed I had something in a pocket and asked what it was, it was my phone but I told him it was my wallet and he said that was OK and let me go. So you can have a wallet in a zipped pocket but not a phone, or keys... yeah makes sense... The operations were also incredibly slow, but that was to be expected because they can't launch when the drop tower is working.

No, you can't have a wallet per the giant, giant sign at the queue entrance. The guy was doing you a favor. Generally they would send you out of the line to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and you'd have to return to the end of the line. I can't believe you snuck a phone into the line, lied to the ride op, he did you a favor and now you're complaining. :lol:

Look... the policy is dumb as sh*t but it's not that dude's fault. Just suck it up and follow the rules, and if you don't and a guy gives you a break because he probably knew you were probably lying but also knew the rule was stupid then certainly don't complain about it.

Personally we just get the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. It's annoying, but it is what it is.

I know it's not the employee's fault, and I'm not complaining that he was doing his job. I was complaining about the policy which we agree is dumb...

Postby AndrewA86 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:15 am

boldikus wrote:
AndrewA86 wrote:Anyway, had a great time!

Glad to hear it, even though your complaints far outweigh anything you enjoyed. :lol:

Sorry if it sounded that way.

Well, of course El Toro didn't live up to the hype. It's a wood coaster, it doesn't run as smooth as a B&M hyper. That's pure coaster boy hyperbole. You rode it on a chilly weekend in March when the park just opened for the season. It always runs slower on the shoulder season. Even then, Toro is only barely rough only on the turnaround. Did you sit in the magic seat or on wheel seat? Sounds like a wheel seat.

Well, Lightning Rod lived up to the hype, and it's a wood coaster that is glossy smooth... Some people, credible people IMO, say El Toro was better, and I can see where they are coming from. Smoothness is just one of my preferences.... No I made sure not to sit on a wheel seat the second time. I don't know what the magic seat is...

AndrewA86 wrote:Skull Mountain is another below average coaster IMO. It's a kiddie coaster in the dark. Didn't really do anything for me.

You didn't sit in the back, did you? Have you learned nothing from this board? The Mountain rejects you.

I sat in the 3rd row.

I don't understand how any of this is possible and I'm pretty sure you think you rode Batman but we're actually just on Harley Quinn or something. #fakenews

Batman is the one with the queue made of tin foil right?

AndrewA86 wrote:Ok so you went to a Six Flags park on opening weekend and expected the operations to be in mid-season form? Let me know where you got that good stuff, bud.

No, didn't expect it to be mid-season form, but expected it to be a lot better.

I also never understand when people note how dead a park is and then complain about operations - especially on an opening weekend. If the park is dead, who cares how fast they're getting trains out? Of course operations are bad at any opening weekend at any park - even a park like Cedar Point which is known for its incredible throughput - go in that thread after opening weekend and watch the onslaught of whining go on for the following two weeks. Expecting a Six Flags parks - especially Great Adventure - to be running at full tilt in March is hilarious.
[/quote][/quote]

Again, never expected full tilt. But I go to Cedar Point every opening weekend and Kings Island early on too, and they have never been THAT bad that consistently.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:21 am

AndrewA86 wrote:I sat in the 3rd row.

Amateur...

AndrewA86 wrote:Batman is the one with the queue made of tin foil right?

You'll have to be more specific, you just described half of the queue lines in the park.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 am

Holy crap, you went halfway across the country to Great Adventure and you didn't bother to find out about their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy or which seats to sit in? Please tell me you at least rode Ka in the front.

Great Adventure's fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy is way better than Cedar Point's, where they charge per ride or if you want all day ones, they're way in the front of the park. Great Adventure gives you floating fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for $6, so you can always have your stuff nearby while you ride. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to bring a wallet in a zipped pocket, but that's how they roll, so just budget your $6 and stow your stuff. Not hard.

As for Lightning Rod, it's Topper Track, and El Toro is straight up wood. Not going to be the same, and you shoudn't expect it to. Research and proper expectations are essential to good travelling, especially if you're going hundreds of miles from home to a place you're only going once or at most once every few years.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:07 am

I have no issues with their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy but I'm so tired of hearing people bitching about it when it's the easiest thing to avoid if you want to avoid it. I bring in just my season pass, credit card, id and just my car key and phone and leave it in a zippered pocket. Haven't had one person question me on it because it doesn't look obvious and I don't take my phone out in line cause I can survive without it & actually have a conversation with the people I'm with.

I get people like comparing and what not but El Toro and Lighting Rod are just such different rides to me plus El Toro is almost 12 years old now, of course it's not going to be as smooth as a ride that's not even been up for 2 years. I enjoyed the hell out of Lightning Rod and I feel very lucky to have El Toro in my home park, it's an absolutely amazing ride that never fails to be a fun, wild ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!