Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

P. 70: Phoenix (Maurer spinning coaster) to open in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

Postby Jelenp » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:56 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Speaking of Adventureland, is Phoenix close to opening? I remember them saying June when it was announced.

There was testing footage that came out last week. Still no solid date for opening that I could find.
Top 5: 1. Storm Chaser 2. Steel Vengeance 3. Lightning Rod 4. X2 5. Maverick
Coaster Count: 130
I <3 Dollywood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 am

^ Thanks. It'll be interesting to see if that's up by the time I visit next month. If not, no big deal since I've ridden the same clone elsewhere.

I'm more closely following the retro Herschell mouse going up at Arnolds Park. I haven't been on one of those mice in years and am itching to get back on one before they go extinct.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Larger size riders and Monster?

Postby summerdogs » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:45 am

Hi everyone...I joined this site just to ask this question.

So number of years ago, I had to do a walk of shame off of Prowler at Worlds of Fun. I didn't even try to ride roller coasters for years after that, despite how much I love them, out of not wanting to experience that again.

I've since used that as motivation, and have lost a significant amount of weight, though I am still overweight and am working on losing more.

This summer, I rode every roller coaster at Worlds of Fun - victory! However, I still required the larger seats on Patriot.

I have a family trip to Adventureland coming up and really really want to go on Monster, but am a little nervous, as WoF has no roller coasters of this type.

I currently wear a women's size 18/20 and am 5'10".

Has anyone been a larger rider, or been with a larger rider, on Monster who can tell me what sizes did or did not fit? Just wanting to avoid embarrassment if possible but still ride if possible!

Thank you.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pm

I have deferred to the expertise of my wife, and with her permission to share all this, she says you'll probably have no trouble on Monster. She is a size 16 and has no difficulties at all on Monster and likely at an 18/20 you'll be just fine.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby summerdogs » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:30 am

Thank you so much! That gives me a lot more confidence. I had been worried after googling around and seeing a report where "multiple" people ended up not able to fit to ride Monster. There was no mention of their exact size though, so this helps!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:02 am

Phoenix opened today according to the local news.

Link
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:15 am

I'm looking forward to visiting this park in a few weeks. Assuming it's a sunny day, roughly what type of crowds does this park get?

I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to visit for 5-6 hours on a Friday or 8 hours on a Saturday.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby LegendLover » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:46 pm

I would do eight hours on Saturday to be honest. Most of the crowds head over to Adventure Bay, which I highly recommend. There are so many attractions that are worth riding. All the roller coasters are pretty great (except for Dragon) and many are worth reriding, but four out of the six coasters only run one train. There are so many flat rides and water rides worth riding, many of them are rare: their Sawmill Splash, Falling Star, Der Flinger, Lighthouse, and their Sky Ride. Storm Chaser and Space Shot are both really fun thrill rides. Adventure Bay is worth visiting, too. It's a really nice waterpark. The park overall has great charm to it. I do recommend going for eight hours. Back in 2016, I spent two days in Des Moines, and I spent all of those two days at Adventureland.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:40 pm

^ Thanks! I was leaning towards more time since there were so many flats plus the coasters, but I wanted to make sure crowds wouldn't be a major issue.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby OmnipotentSeal » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:02 am

I was at the park yesterday and noticed that dragon is running a five car train instead of the normal six and it got me thinking. How much more time does dragon have left before it is scrapped? It already has low ridership in comparison to every other coaster in the park, very bad reliability, and it’s surely expensive to maintain since they have a mechanic onsite underneath the station at all times.
Please wake up. We are trying a new technique. We don't know where this will show up in your dream, but we hope this message will reach you. You are in a coma. Please wake up. Your family needs you.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!