Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby eddie200330 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08 pm

theGrayZone wrote:Wanted to (re)post this vintage image here in a relevant thread (that was taken for a trivia contest prize). It's from a cup that was purchased back in the day... 1987. A nod to childhood KD visits and 70/80's kid memories. Oh, and to repeat cycles through Yogi Bear's Cave.

04 - TPR OB Trivia Prize Cup 02 (detail).jpg

^^^I really like that pic, brings back great memories!!!!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:56 am

braztaz wrote:^Before this season there was always this bump before the tunnel that would make me and whoever I'm riding with smash heads together. It happened 5 times and man, it HURT! Thankfully that's solved now and I ride Grizzly much more!

Funny,I never noticed it before.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BigDipper 80 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm heading to the park for the first time next August, and under the season pass perks, "Walk on Wednesdays" were mentioned. Could someone possibly clarify as to what in the world that means? I assume it's a sort of line-jumping offered to passholders on Wednesdays, but of course I could be wrong.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby braztaz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:44 pm

^You show your pass at guest services (or somewhere else, I don't know) and they give you tickets that you give to the ride ops so you can enter through the exit and not wait in line. You have a limited number of tickets, though...
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby theGrayZone » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:32 pm

eddie200330 wrote:... I really like that pic, brings back great memories!!!!

man... just had a memory flash... galaxi coaster... singing frogs & mushrooms under the HB-land skyride station's ascent/descent... some spinning flat along candy apple grove called "apple bobs" (probably not)... the GIANT slide that turned me into a hydrant of tears my first trip to KD (too scared... walked up mid-way... climbed back down)... but I later overcame the menacing challenge and ended up getting stuck in one of the flat sections after the second drop I think...

oh, and King Cobra and Mt. Kilimanjaro (which I would stand and watch for minutes... listening to the "whirrring" sound... and occasionally catch it getting stuck).

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:33 pm

From the GrayZone -
man... just had a memory flash... galaxi coaster... singing frogs & mushrooms under the HB-land skyride station's ascent/descent... some spinning flat along candy apple grove called "apple bobs" (probably not)... the GIANT slide that turned me into a hydrant of tears my first trip to KD (too scared... walked up mid-way... climbed back down)... but I later overcame the menacing challenge and ended up getting stuck in one of the flat sections after the second drop I think...

oh, and King Cobra and Mt. Kilimanjaro (which I would stand and watch for minutes... listening to the "whirrring" sound... and occasionally catch it getting stuck).

Oh yeah, I had that same memory flash that also included THE LOST WORLD. As for that spinning flat ride in Candy Apple Grove, there were two of them: the Apple Turnover and an Octopus ride that was called The Mad Apple.
Anybody got any more nostagic things from KINGS DOMINION they would love to share on this post?

:pillow: "I've got one - the times when I was used plenty of times before this website came along and I ended up spending my time on the bed lonely. But I'm still smiling!"

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:58 pm

palmerleeberry wrote:From the GrayZone -

Oh yeah, I had that same memory flash that also included THE LOST WORLD. As for that spinning flat ride in Candy Apple Grove, there were two of them: the Apple Turnover and an Octopus ride that was called The Mad Apple.
Anybody got any more nostagic things from KINGS DOMINION they would love to share on this post?

:pillow: "I've got one - the times when I was used plenty of times before this website came along and I ended up spending my time on the bed lonely. But I'm still smiling!"

They also had vertigo & flying bobs in the grove section as well.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby megametal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:01 pm

^ And I have never once seen a picture showing their Flying Bobs nor their Mt. Kilamanjaro, oddly enough. I hear they had a Calypso over by the Hanna Barbera Land area back in the late 70s too.

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:09 pm

megametal wrote:^ And I have never once seen a picture showing their Flying Bobs nor their Mt. Kilamanjaro, oddly enough. I hear they had a Calypso over by the Hanna Barbera Land area back in the late 70s too.

Kings dominon golden years has some pics on their facebook page showing it.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby theGrayZone » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:They also had vertigo & flying bobs in the grove section as well.

The flying bobs... that ride would be the "Apple Bobs" I recall.

Found an old 1978 KD park map online and it appears this ride was called "Adams Apple" that year. Or at least an attraction called, "Adams Apple", was located in the spot where I remember the flying bobs existing. However, I still recall it named something different when I went (first visit to KD was either in '81 or '82).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!