Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby dragonskeep » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:54 am

After hearing the interview with John Pagel I am left with the feeling that the drop will be trimmed less. I think the final version of I-305 will have a trimmed drop because of that turn. I hope they just let the ride remain intense, and it would be reguardless of the widening of the turn, just let it be what it was meant to be. I am going to ride this summer no matter what they do but for me it would be a real dissappointment if they trim that drop.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:37 am

Was the turn really that intense? I've never ridden Intimidator 305, but it seemed like people were making too big a deal out of this whole schtick.

I would have much rather had some days run the trimmed version and some days run the "OMG this is so intense but good that you will wet your pants" version. That way, the coaster would please everyone.

Or was it train/track stress, like Maverick's heartline roll?
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 am

/\ The trims installed were magnetic (permanent). *Most* magnetic brakes aren't adjustable like friction brakes.
Been you to have any spike, man?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Coasteral » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Ive been to Kings Island, but ive never been to Kings Dominion, I hear there basiclly the same :?r

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:21 pm

^They share some of the same attractions (such as Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster), but the parks themselves are quite different.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm

A.J. wrote:Was the turn really that intense? I've never ridden Intimidator 305, but it seemed like people were making too big a deal out of this whole schtick....

It was definitely really intense. Many people, including Robb, were greying/blacking out on it. If you watch the video on YouTube, he mentions it. Some people didn't mind it too much, but many did which led to adding the trims. If they can make the turn wide enough to remove the trims and get the ride back going to what they had originally intended, thats better, especially for Jeff Johnson. ;)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:19 pm

downunder wrote:This sounds like a really positive development for I305, hopefully I'll be able to get down there next year and check it out.

Does anyone have a feel for what impact I305 had on attandance at KD this year?

The park was quite busy during most,if not all of my visits in 2010 with haunt on the 2nd to last day being jam packed.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby GLund » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Found this sweet video posted. It basically has the same information that we already knew, it's just a confirmation from the park! Sounds like they're going to try and get rid of all the trims, I sure hope so!
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:20 pm.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:20 pm

The turn was very intense. I met a girl that passed out on the trimmed version, by which I mean she didn't remember anything from the curve to the final brake run. That has happened to some people on lots of different coasters, so doesn't mean so much except again, that was with the drop trimmed. I came the closest to that happening to me on the untrimmed version, when I was hot and not feeling that good. Almost every other time I rode it untrimmed, I was sure to ride Backlot first to make sure I was up to it, also sometimes made sure to get a snack if I felt a bit low blood sugar-ish.

Thing was the duration of the force. Think of the strongest Gs on a coaster that last longer than a second, maybe not even that strong, but make them last 5 times as long. A weird thing I've experienced on Backlot's helix is to start graying out right at the top -- the force is decreased by that point but not enough after surviving the rest of the helix. You could be fine halfway through 305's turn and still start graying out at the end -- or a lot of times more a "tunnel vision" where you lose all peripheral vision, which seems different than shorter duration high-G response.

It's not something a lot of people can't handle, but why have your most expensive coaster not ridable for some people that fine on everything else?

But don't forget about the wheels. Not only was wear high, a wheel would get rough like it lost a little chunk and then went downhill from there rapidly. There was bits of melted wheel on the back of a rear seat for a while, and I think that was post-trims but before the wheel sprayers. Trying to operate the thing in hotter weather was hard on both the wheels and the passengers. It will be worse once the track gets some age on it, too. They downplay this concern but I think it really was deciding factor.

dragonskeep wrote:After hearing the interview with John Pagel I am left with the feeling that the drop will be trimmed less. I think the final version of I-305 will have a trimmed drop because of that turn. I hope they just let the ride remain intense, and it would be reguardless of the widening of the turn, just let it be what it was meant to be. I am going to ride this summer no matter what they do but for me it would be a real dissappointment if they trim that drop.

I wouldn't mind so much if there was a trim right after the drop. It wouldn't interfere with airtime and you'd hit 95 MPH for .1 second. But the speed does neeed to be increased on the 150' hill to at least "floater" air, so the turn still needs improvement. It would be very prudent to include some new spots suitable for brakes, even if not used, you can't put them on a turn or twist and there are almost no suitable spots that don't affect airtime. If there were 3 different trim locations, they really could each be almost unnoticable. Another approach would be to make sure the part of the track replaced doesn't need them, but have provision near the the end of that section. Again, this would allow less braking at the 75' hill -- and also maybe putting those after the hill in the valley or the next rise. Anyway, yeah, I'm somewhat concerned the changes won't be enough to avoid trims on the drop completely.

Brashnir wrote:Realistically, I can see several areas where we might see complaints, but they depends on exactly how this reprofile enlarges the turn. If they go with the quick and dirty method of simply adding straight track to extend the entry and exit points of the turn enough to fit the increased radius, someone will inevitably complain that these straight sections are "boring."

If they go with a better (and more fitting with the rest of the ride) method of a slight (10-degrees?) left turn at the bottom of the drop into a rollover to the right, followed by a wider 290 degree right turn, ending in another roll left and another 10-degree left turn exiting and pulling up into the 150-foot hill,

I don't think either will be the case. The left turns would give more "work" for the turn to do so no way. The drop starts banking before any turning starts, so unless they want to rebuild 1/3 of the drop (which might require starting by removing the top of that hill and working down), it won't be straight coming out of the drop either, but the banking could stop increasing at whatever is the "cut" point and a lot shallower curve could be used for the pull-out from the drop. I think the entrance to the 150' hill is where the track will be a lot straighter and more of the connect-the-pieces adjustment will be. Seperating the vertical accelerations from the turn itself will probably be part of the improvement.

The latest pics show less of the track removed from the bottom of the drop than expected, which really says the changes won't be that large, but I think this just might reflect the difficulty of messing with the drop. Once the track arrives, they might add temporary braces and a crane on the drop, yank that stuff out and put in the new as fast as possible.

I must love to type or something ....

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:01 pm

For those unfamiliar with the area around that turn, I put a photo up that I took at ECB. Judging by where they're pouring the footers, I'd say that the turn is going to be right against the trees in the picture, on the opposite side of the maintenance path that we were all walking on. And that's pretty in line with the second hill, but it would most likely require some sort of straight track. Or a lessening of the angle of the incline. But who knows!
DSCN1610.JPG
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!