Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Gigalyte » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 am

How is that MF overbanked turn doesn't kill the speed of the ride

You are probably right an overbanked turn probably would be harder to do then widening the turn, I'm no professonial coaster designer, my simple mind just that it would seam easier to over bank then to widen I have no problem with admitting I could be wrong or I am wrong.

The changing a barrel roll seams easy it's in a straight line, the loop removal I don't know seams like it would have to be some mods made to get the track reconnected

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby dragonskeep » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 am

This sounds good to me. I am looking forward to trying it out next summer. It will be very interesting to see how they do it. It seems like another turn would have to be added to make it line up but I could be missing something obvious. The trims coming off the drop is the best news ever.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby KevinM » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 am

The turnaround doesn't have to be circular. It could be clothoid (like a loop) which would make the forces more tolerable and probably pose less of a challenge to reconnect. If they do keep it as a circle, I'm going to guess that they would increase the radius by a third. If it's currently pulling 4 G's (just a guess), than a simple circular motion kinematics calculation would say that a one third larger radius would reduce the force to 3 G's.

Interested to see what happens.

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:45 am

Gigalyte wrote:This isn't RCT how can they just widen the turn and expect it to line back up with the airtime hill? I know in no limits I've made elements that were alittle to tight tried to widen or enlarge the element and it's almost darn near impossible to get it to reconnect. I know using no limits makes me no professional but it seams to me like alittle more to this mod then just widening the turn and it's fixed.

Imo I believe the easiest fix would be a huge overbanked turn, but they're the pros so if widening the turn is going to work without a problem then who am i to say it can't be done.

I would think widening a turn would be the easiest modification they could make to the ride. All you would have to do is stretch the transitions and it would fit right in. And I think an overbank would be the hardest thing to do. It would require making another crap load of supports, making a lot more track, and dealing with a lot more forces rather than just basic lats. If they simply widen the turn, they could easily just use the supports they already have, just move them and maybe add three or four more. Overbanks have a completely different geometry in all 3 dimensions from a flat turn, it would be ridiculous, really...

^Making a flat turn clothoid doesn't decrease forces. The point of a clothoid is that the track is changing vertically and the speed of the train is decreasing and increasing relative to gravity. Gravity doesn't change anything in a flat turn.
~Signature~

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby KevinM » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:44 am

^You make a good point, but a flat clothoid would still make a difference. If I recall correctly, Schwarzkopf got the idea from German exit ramps. It would not decrease the maximum force, but it would lower the forces in and out of the turnaround, leaving a intense but short section of force in the middle. I think the problem wasn't the magnitude of the force, it was the duration over which the force was sustained. I think they could design a turn that pulls the same (or just slightly higher) magnitude of force as before for a short segment and rider discomfort would not be too much of a factor. I don't think it's the optimal solution, but it just came to mind because it seems like it could solve the space issue. I would personally prefer an overbank, but that seems too complicated to substitute in.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby adamico2 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:12 am

Another solution, similar to the clothoid shape, could be starting the turn with a wide radius that gradually tightens as the turn progresses. This would solve the alignment argument while decreasing the amount of time intense forces are sustained, but keep in mind the first half of the second hill was also removed. The track doesn't have to line up at the bottom of the hill. The designers also have that incline to work with.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:07 pm

The first time I rode I305, I had the flu. I don't remember what that drop and that first half was like before the trims, so I'm just glad that now I'll be able to ride and actually remember the experience!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 am

If only Robb could confirm this...
;)

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Robb? He knows nothing! I get all my information from the Dip'n'Dots guy! ;)

TPR Trip: InimidaTOUR
TPR Bash: East Coast Bash (2010), Busch Gardens Bash

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 pm

chadster wrote:According to screamscape, they are widening the turn after the drop on I305 to be able to remove the trims and cut down on wear and tear of the trains and provide for a more comfortable ride.

If only Robb could confirm this...

I was told by Intamin that I could not post the information I was given, and I'm sticking to that. All I'm going to say is this. I would imagine that if I was told NOT to post something, other people were most likely told the same. And if the information posted to Screamscape is the same as what I was told, then I'm sure Intamin would not be happy with the source as they have broken their trust. But having seeing who the "source" was (it wasn't Screamscape...they were just reporting what they saw), it does not surprise me at all they would break the trust of someone to get a "scoop."

--Robb "Relationships are for more important than being first to report something." Alvey
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!