Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Five babies drowned in a fire

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 am

^I don't think we're going to hear anything definitive until either the park announces what's going on or we see track reappear. Without being inside the park, it's impossible to see the bottom of the first drop and turn, and that's obviously where the work is being done. We might see something happen with the 2nd hill, but my guess is the majority of the work is happening at that first turn.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

^ We can always rent a helicopter! :airtime:

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby deweasefan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 am

chadster wrote:^ We can always rent a helicopter! :airtime:

We could probably raise more money and support for that than has been raised for saving the big dipper. :lmao:

I would really like to know what is happening with I305 too. However, I agree that until either the park announces something or they put up pieces high enough to be seen from the road (because we know some of the locals are probably driving past every day hoping to see something :lol: ) we will just have to wait. I can't wait until opening day, though, to ride the new and improved (???) I305!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 pm

I didn't see this idea before but I confess having only skimmed a bunch of pages... Anyone just think they are done with the mod and it's a jump? I mean, It could happen.

Postby chadster » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 am

According to screamscape, they are widening the turn after the drop on I305 to be able to remove the trims and cut down on wear and tear of the trains and provide for a more comfortable ride.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Gigalyte » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:00 am

This isn't RCT how can they just widen the turn and expect it to line back up with the airtime hill? I know in no limits I've made elements that were alittle to tight tried to widen or enlarge the element and it's almost darn near impossible to get it to reconnect. I know using no limits makes me no professional but it seams to me like alittle more to this mod then just widening the turn and it's fixed.

Imo I believe the easiest fix would be a huge overbanked turn, but they're the pros so if widening the turn is going to work without a problem then who am i to say it can't be done.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby The_Mad_Hatter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am

I really do think Intiman has it worked out, that's why they're the one designing roller coasters, not you and me. ;)

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 am

Gigalyte wrote:This isn't RCT how can they just widen the turn and expect it to line back up with the airtime hill? I know in no limits I've made elements that were alittle to tight tried to widen or enlarge the element and it's almost darn near impossible to get it to reconnect. I know using no limits makes me no professional but it seams to me like alittle more to this mod then just widening the turn and it's fixed.

Imo I believe the easiest fix would be a huge overbanked turn, but they're the pros so if widening the turn is going to work without a problem then who am i to say it can't be done.

The same way a heartline can be replaced with a s-turn, a loop can be replaced with a straight section. I dont think they said they are starting at the bottom of the turn to where it starts to go up. Remember the pictures so half of the second hill gone. I personally think an overbank would be harder than widening the turn.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Postby chadster » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:20 am

screamscape's source indicates they wanted to achieve the speed it was designed for and to keep a consistent high speed throughout the ride, an overbank would kill the speed. I may just have to drop by KD next year to try it out dependant on what all takes place, and since Screamscapes sources are usually reliable, and considering no other part of the ride outside the hill have been visibly messed with, I think this is entirely plausible.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 am

If this is what they are doing, sounds great! I guess we will have to wait to find out for sure, but widening the turn sounds reasonable and a bit less Intimidating (excuse the pun) than re-profiling huge sections of the ride.

David

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!