Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Pro Rock-O-Plane Flyer

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby nannerdw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:41 pm

This ride looks amazing =)

It was hilarious watching Robb's POV with Google's auto caption turned on.
My favorite quote was "Ellen, I'll tell you I never use a blackout on ministers."

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby lil jimmy norton » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:48 pm

It's nice to see both Imtimidators have opened to good reviews. I hope I can get down to Kings Dominion this summer.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:49 pm

mcjaco wrote:This coaster is screaming for onboard music with Molly Hatchet's "Flirting with Disaster."

You get a good dose of that, along with plenty of other southern rock, while you wait.

Cracka lacka licious

Postby JEAPUgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:53 pm

'Intimidator' An Unbe'weavable' Experience For Reporter

http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/lifestyles/columnists/article/intimidator_an_unbeweavable_experience_for_reporter/54968/

By Rhonda Simmons
Published: April 1, 2010
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

DOSWELL – Safety harness, check. Flip-flops, check. Weave? Er, check?
These are some of the minor details thrill seekers may want to secure before boarding any theme park ride.

One fellow writer learned that the hard way Thursday during her first experience on “The Intimidator 305,” Kings Dominion’s biggest, baddest, newest roller coaster named after famous race car driver Dale Earnhart.

Thursday was the 2010 Media Day event at the amusement park where hundreds of journalists, photographers, politicians and suits geared up to ride the park’s newest attraction.

For the rest of the public, Friday is opening day.

At the beginning of the ride, the young woman had a full, curly ponytail.

But by the end of the three-minute death-defying, gut-wrenching ride, she was weaveless, yet unaware.

Through my tears of laughter, I looked back and asked her if she was missing anything.

As she felt the top of her head, a panicked expression replaced her smile.

“Where’s my weave?” she shrieked.

But the guy sitting next to her couldn’t see a thing without his glasses. I’m telling you it was like watching a live comedy skit. By that time, I was doubled over with laughter. All I’m saying is that I can kind of relate.

I thought I had seen it all by then. The young woman was ready to search the park high and low for her valued removable hair.

But the funniest thing was, the missing weave ended up at the feet of the woman behind her.

That lady was like “Why is there a bunch of hair at my feet?”

We couldn’t wait to see the pictures of us on the ride. All I could think about was if the photo captured the young woman with or without the weave. It was without.

The young woman, who was laughing just as hard as I was, took it pretty well.

Without hesitation, she reattached the ponytail back onto her own hair and asked the lady who found it to pose in a picture with her. I’m anxious to read about her personal experience on her blog.

For me, the missing weave was the highlight of the day. In this case, the ride itself was more of sidebar material.

However for those interested in the ride, it begins with a slow, nerve-racking 305-foot climb in the air with the first drop descending at an 85-degree angle at more than 90 miles an hour.

Asked how we enjoyed the ride, I said it was “awful” but the guy next to me said it was “awesome.”

We did agree, however, that first ride was definitely an experience to remember.

And the lesson of this story is simply to always secure your weave when riding a rollercoaster.

I’m still laughing about it.

Want to ride?
What: The Intimidator
Where: Kings Dominion, 16000 Theme Park Way, Doswell, Va.
When: Park opens Friday and will be open daily throughout the summer
Admission: Prices vary. Visit kingsdominion.com for additional details

Cracka lacka licious

Postby JEAPUgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Robb and Cfc,

Since you've both racked up a pretty good number of credits, where you would rank I305?

Top 5? Top 10? Top 20?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:04 pm

JEAPUgrad wrote:Robb and Cfc,

Since you've both racked up a pretty good number of credits, where you would rank I305?

Top 5? Top 10? Top 20?

I can see the ride easily cracking my top ten list the next time I make one. Possibly even top 5. I can totally see it being on most people's top 5 list and probably #1 for many.

I would like to take a few more rides on it when I'm not "working!" =)

--Robb

Cracka lacka licious

Postby JEAPUgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 pm

^I wanted to introduce myself but every time I saw you, you looked busy.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:27 pm

I try not to judge rides based on POVs, but this one looks freaking awesome. I'm not sure how I'd handle airtime like that, having never experienced it before.

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 pm

All the coverage, reports, and video just make me all the more intrigued and interested in the Ferrari World coaster. Nice work on the video, Robb.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 pm

JEAPUgrad wrote:Robb and Cfc,

Top 5? Top 10? Top 20?

I think it could crack my top ten, but time will tell.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!