Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Re: The Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby DBru » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:33 pm

^^The funny thing is, this part you are mainly excited for, is the part I am mainly not. lol

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Nosferatu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Even though the ride doesn't go upside down, there might be that it needs OTSR anyway. It got some serious fast transitions there, and the only ride we've seen with these kind of turns is Maverick. And Maverick have OTSR. It might be that they need to keep your upper body kind of stable because of the serious roll rate in these turns. Yeah the mega lites have some fast transitions too, but they don't have this specific type of ultra fast Maverick style turns. They are more mini EGF type hills, that deliver a completely different motion.

I just think there might be more behind this than what we think. After all, the engineers behind this has worked quite a lot of hours on this ride :P Anyway, I think the ride is gonna be insane. Just that drop is reason enough for me. I look at the rest of the ride as a bonus!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:21 am

Nosferatu wrote:Even though the ride doesn't go upside down, there might be that it needs OTSR anyway.

None of us are qualified to say whether or not this or any other ride "needs" OTSR's. Unless one of us here is a ride engineer with decades of experience who is getting paid millions of dollars to figure this stuff out.

The companies that build these rides actually do have experience in the field. How many here can say the same?

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 am

I always thought they added OTSR's to prevent what happened on Perilous Plunge at Knott's. The drop is pretty steep, and I would guess with the OTSR's, some larger guests would get their chance to ride I305?

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:25 pm

DBru wrote:^^The funny thing is, this part you are mainly excited for, is the part I am mainly not. lol

I'm "mainly" excited about the general height and speed. Those transitions are just a bonus.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:29 am

If you ever want ones of those "GEEK-OUT Drives like the one on the Ceder Point Causeway" then go to Kings Dominion from the East instead of the west and I-95. Riding down State Route 30 you crest a hill above the The Meadows (New State Fair Grounds) and you get the full KD Skyline (I305, Anaconda, Dominator, Eiffel Tower and Drop Tower). It's really epic and a great way to get hype up for a day in the park. The first time I saw I-305 on the Skyline in December of 2009, It look unreal! I can't wait to ride this thing in 12 days!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Spring is here and I'm getting out of winter hibernation mode. This means more frivolous/puff posts on roller coaster forums and fewer ones on college basketball forums (which may be a good thing since my team sucked and didn't even make the NCAA tourney).

Anyway, I need to get in roller coaster mood (and shape) and I'll definitely be making the 20-minute drive up to KD in either April or May. On my way up to Fredericksburg for work I've made a few stop-ins to look at progress on I305 the past 5 months and frankly couldn't discern much except for when they topped off. Restraints or no restraints, I'm riding this thing and nobody can stop me. (Unless of course, I'm too fat to ride).

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 pm

DBru wrote:^^The funny thing is, this part you are mainly excited for, is the part I am mainly not. lol

Agreed, and worst of all those crazy transitions make it sooooo hard for me to ever even consider a no limits recreation, lol. Seriously, it will be a fine ride, people like Millenium Force, just have fun and go ride I 305, a coaster does not need to be the best in the world to be a lot of fun. I rode X2 last night, not even in my top ten, yet all of my friends number one ride, I still love/loved it. My point being it will be fun regardless.

Cracka lacka licious

Postby JEAPUgrad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:52 pm

I can't believe we've spent all last fall and the entire off season talking about it when the trains in the animation look like the trains on the tracks.

Hopefully all the nonsense about the restraints will die down once the coaster opens up next week. :b

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:05 am

Less than two weeks till opening!

Sorry I've been absent for a while but I had to get a new PC & the logins on the site were changed during that time so I had to reset my password.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!