Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterNerd87 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:56 am

Everyone else trying not to get their hopes up about the August 15th announcement?

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:48 am

I think we already know it's going to be some sort of water park expansion/addition, based on the closing of the rear wave pool and previous statements indicating that something new is going there.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby JG-77 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:07 pm

I'll be heading down to KD for the first time this Friday! We're going on a deal that lets us into the park from 4pm to 10pm. I know that this is too short of a time to experience the park properly, but we live close enough that I'll probably by back within the next few years, so I'm not terribly concerned about getting every single thing in.

My main priorities are
-Multiple rides on I305
-Multiple rides on TT
-Grizzly night ride
-Dominator
-Drop Tower
-Avalanche
-Rebel Yell (I like that name better)
-The crypt
-Anything else is gravy

Is this reasonable? What sort of crowds should I expect for the rides? I know I305 is often dead, but IDK about any of the other rides. Are there any other must-rides that I should try and fit in?

In addition, anyone have recommendations for how to get the best experience on all these rides (i.e. which seat to sit in, riding positions, etc). I generally have a pretty high tolerance for roughness.

Thanks for all the help!
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Your plan might be doable without a FL+, it will all depend on crowds. My friend and I went on Friday 7/12 which had similar weather forecast to this coming Friday, and found crowds to be pretty light; we didn't need to get the Fast Lane passes and we did everything in the park even with taking several hours in the waterpark and and two hour break at the hotel in the middle of the day. As for particular ride tips:

-TT in the very front or very back. You should be able to try both.
-Same for I305.
-Grizzly in the very front.
-Dominator in the very back. I prefer the inner seats, they seem to have less of that B&M rattle.
-Rebel Yell on a non-wheel seat (the middle row of any car). It's pretty smooth though since all of the retracking that's been done.
-Avalanche in the very front. I'd knock this out first upon arrival since the line tends to move slow due to only holding 7-14 people per train.

I'd also not skip Flight of Fear (very back row) if you have time. Delirium is a pretty good frisbee if you're into those kinda rides.

Have fun. I consider KD my home park even though I've got SFA, SFGAdv, and Hershey closer to me.
-Mike
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:54 pm

JG-77 wrote:I'll be heading down to KD for the first time this Friday! We're going on a deal that lets us into the park from 4pm to 10pm. I know that this is too short of a time to experience the park properly, but we live close enough that I'll probably by back within the next few years, so I'm not terribly concerned about getting every single thing in.

My main priorities are
-Multiple rides on I305
-Multiple rides on TT
-Grizzly night ride
-Dominator
-Drop Tower
-Avalanche
-Rebel Yell (I like that name better)
-The crypt
-Anything else is gravy

Is this reasonable? What sort of crowds should I expect for the rides? I know I305 is often dead, but IDK about any of the other rides. Are there any other must-rides that I should try and fit in?

In addition, anyone have recommendations for how to get the best experience on all these rides (i.e. which seat to sit in, riding positions, etc). I generally have a pretty high tolerance for roughness.

Thanks for all the help!

You should have no issues getting in plenty of rides on I305, assuming it is running without breakdowns. When I was there a couple months ago, there was never a line, but it was down for almost a whole day on one of the days.

Intimidator is definitely a back row ride for me. The first drop and turn is fantastic in the back row, and the ride is just so intense from top to bottom. It is my all time favorite roller coaster. If you are prone to blacking/greying out, make sure to clench your butt cheeks on the first turn. It sounds silly but I promise it helps! Sometimes it's unavoidable though. That coaster is bonkers.

Twisted Timbers will likely have a line, and unfortunately the operations are terrible (or at least they were in June). The whole red/green card system is completely stupid and the operations are so slow they may as well have bins in the station. But the good news is (based on my visit in June) it seems to run pretty consistently with no big breakdowns. I like RMCs pretty equally in the front and back rows. Both have incredible airtime and have their pros and cons. Try both!

Dominator is always quite popular since it is in the front of the park, but since you are there in the evening you shouldn't have an issue. Make sure to ride in the front row. That is always the best seat on Floorless coasters.

As for the rest, just ride them as you see them. I can't imagine there being any massive lines when you're going, unless the weather is just absolutely beautifully perfect, then they might be a half hour at most lol

That's just my initial advice based on my 2017 and 2019 visits. I'm sure a local could tell you more.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:55 pm

I can confirm the Twisted Timbers dispatches were still terrible as of last week.

I strongly recommend riding I305 at night as well (I figure you want to, but wanted to make sure it's said). There's hardly any light along that course.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby DILinator » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Next year I'm planning on being in the KD area on Memorial Day, and I know they advertised a fireworks show that night. I was wondering how late they were open Memorial Day, or the weekend days beforehand? Is it open long enough to get a couple of night rides? I went last year, and there won't likely be anything major new, but I was hoping to pop in during the evening for some rides on TT, and also maybe grab a night ride on I-305, and see if I like it any better than my "meh" ride on it during the day last year (controversial opinion, I know, but it's shared by all three of my kids who rode it, so....)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:41 am

We made our first visit to KD on Monday. I've wanted to visit since I was a kid. This was the 4th and last day of a long weekend trip. There were very few people in the park.

Racer was fun and was an amazing view of Intimidator and the park. Really liked it.

Grizzly was a bit rough but I liked it. Good night ride.

Intimidator was really fun. Rode it for 45 minutes without leaving the station at dusk. Could have sat on it all night; crew didn't care and most trains were half empty.

Twisted Timbers - Nice area. Looks beautiful. Loved the ride. Sat on back row green for the last 40 minutes they were open. Really enjoyed it.

Had a couple hours delay with a storm. Finally got things back up and running around 730. Anaconda was the last credit we needed. The crew was having fun and joking around. They were having folks do shout outs on the station mic and having a good time. Top of the lift they stopped our train. Asked who had their phone out. Had us put our hands up. Put them down. No seriously, who has the phone. Then they were laughing and said they were sending it. The crew was amusing themselves.

First time I've really been able to just stay in my seat or move around at will between rides. Loved it.

All in all, had a great time. I'll be back for sure.

Postby JG-77 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:52 am

Thanks for the advice guys!

I realize I forgot to mention I'd also like to check out the Eiffel Tower. Do you think I could reasonably squeeze that in?

Also, on the chance that the park is miraculously dead and I have plenty of time to ride other stuff besides my main priorities, which seats would you recommend for Anaconda. I hear it's pretty rough/painful, but I've enjoyed my rides on Demon @SFGAm so I hopefully have a little bit of an idea on how to brace during the ride.

Also, are there any seats on Woodstock Express that are worth a try if I have the time?
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:59 am

Anaconda: The front row of any car, as close to the front as you can get.
Woodstock: Very back row.

The Eiffel Tower really takes as long as you want...they don't kick you out at any point, so if you stay at the top for 5 minutes or 5 hours it really doesn't matter. The line should be short at various points throughout the day.
-Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!