Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13721
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:22 pm

prozach626 wrote:On an unrelated note, how's KD's alcohol availability? When Emily and I visited several years ago I remember only being able to find one place that served beer. It was located somewhere on the Intimidator/FoF side of the park, IIRC. It was kind of a drab cafeteria restaurant area and you couldn't take the beers outside of the patio. I think they stopped serving pretty early.


It's inconsistent. Few employees at the park is ever capable of pouring a drink, reading a date of birth on any ID that's not a Virginia drivers license, entering anything with alcohol into the register or knowing what the alcohol policy is in terms of where you can take beer. At this point it's so consistently inconsistent that I think it's almost definitely a training problem. It's been this way for years.

At Outer Hanks (which I think is what you're referring to) you can't leave the patio but meanwhile at Haunt they just bring out beer carts in the middle of the midway and let you take it wherever you want (including into queue lines).

There's a place that serves beer to the left of the Eiffel tower and that's basically all they serve. We usually go there since all they serve is alcohol so the employee won't crawl up in the fetal position and cry like a standard KD employee when you order beer.

PS: Do not visit that location if you're allergic to bee stings. The patio is literally infested with bees. :lol:

prozach626 wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome.


Prime example: B:TR

Absolutely. We were at Magic Mountain last week and even though over the years we've probably been on the Great Adventure one almost 100 times and even though neither of us "needed the credit" there was no way in hell we were skipping it. If that ride wasn't a clone then enthusiasts would declare it one of the best rides in the park (even at Magic Mountain which is loaded with awesome coasters).

Online
I've gone pantless!
User avatar
 
Posts: 33907
Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)
Gender: Male
Age: 59

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 pm

There's a little outdoor bar in Candy Apple Grove near Windseeker that serves cocktails, wine, and beer. KD has their own line of beer brewed by Center of the Universe Brewery in nearby Ashland.
Image
Image

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 26 May 2016
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby ripleybl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:29 pm


Online
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 51

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:12 pm

ripleybl wrote:Here is the official article and story posted by Channel 8 news... I'm the guy in the striped orange shirt.

www.wric.com/news/local-news/iconic-kings-dominion-volcano-roller-coaster-grounded-for-good/1773831978?fbclid=IwAR03g_ZmcGBx3mH0H_dSdXyt3AS8oS5x0trn-gAIzd--vSZB3iC1VCFagLQ


Pretty cool they spoke to you. . tho doesn't say why?

do they just know around the office you're a coaster fan, and so talked to you about it?

(they don't identify you via chyron, so wondering)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 26 May 2016
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby ripleybl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:20 pm

bert425 wrote:
ripleybl wrote:Here is the official article and story posted by Channel 8 news... I'm the guy in the striped orange shirt.

www.wric.com/news/local-news/iconic-kings-dominion-volcano-roller-coaster-grounded-for-good/1773831978?fbclid=IwAR03g_ZmcGBx3mH0H_dSdXyt3AS8oS5x0trn-gAIzd--vSZB3iC1VCFagLQ


Pretty cool they spoke to you. . tho doesn't say why?

do they just know around the office you're a coaster fan, and so talked to you about it?

(they don't identify you via chyron, so wondering)


Yeah, the woman who did the story is friends with a lot of my friends on Facebook and they referred me to her. I don't think they gave me a title because I have never been in an official roller coaster club which I have always wanted to join. That being said, I am not the that credible of a source and more of a huge coaster fan (almost like GP status) being interviewed.

Online
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 51

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

ripleybl wrote:
bert425 wrote:
ripleybl wrote:Here is the official article and story posted by Channel 8 news... I'm the guy in the striped orange shirt.

www.wric.com/news/local-news/iconic-kings-dominion-volcano-roller-coaster-grounded-for-good/1773831978?fbclid=IwAR03g_ZmcGBx3mH0H_dSdXyt3AS8oS5x0trn-gAIzd--vSZB3iC1VCFagLQ


Pretty cool they spoke to you. . tho doesn't say why?

do they just know around the office you're a coaster fan, and so talked to you about it?

(they don't identify you via chyron, so wondering)


Yeah, the woman who did the story is friends with a lot of my friends on Facebook and they referred me to her. I don't think they gave me a title because I have never been in an official roller coaster club which I have always wanted to join. That being said, I am not the that credible of a source and more of a huge coaster fan (almost like GP status) being interviewed.


Still pretty cool they talked to you.

and hey, ClubTPR (with all the great benefits) is right here :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6568
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 pm

coasterbill wrote:
prozach626 wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome.


Prime example: B:TR

Absolutely. We were at Magic Mountain last week and even though over the years we've probably been on the Great Adventure one almost 100 times and even though neither of us "needed the credit" there was no way in hell we were skipping it. If that ride wasn't a clone then enthusiasts would declare it one of the best rides in the park (even at Magic Mountain which is loaded with awesome coasters).

I agree with both of you. Batman is one of the best rides in every Six Flags, especially if they turn on thr air conditioning in the sewer tunnel. Without AC, though, that part of the queue suuuuuucks.
Image

Macaroni and Donkey
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Gender: None specified

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby jrd64fan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Just gonna put this out there:

Take a look at the shot of the Volcano in the news report posted above about 55 seconds into the video.

I'd be very surprised if the mountain stays.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
User avatar
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby disownedpear » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Jokers Jinx launches 10mph slower than all of the other clones.

I know it's fun to talk about, but I really don't see the park getting a replacement coaster within the next few years. The park has always had a stacked coaster lineup for it's yearly attendance, even with Volcano gone. I see a flatride, or a coaster in at least four years probably more.
The Knoebels flyers are the greatest thrill ride ever made.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm

ripleybl wrote:Here is the official article and story posted by Channel 8 news... I'm the guy in the striped orange shirt.

www.wric.com/news/local-news/iconic-kings-dominion-volcano-roller-coaster-grounded-for-good/1773831978?fbclid=IwAR03g_ZmcGBx3mH0H_dSdXyt3AS8oS5x0trn-gAIzd--vSZB3iC1VCFagLQ


Good job, man. Thanks for sharing.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron