Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1858 - New shows & food for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm

adding a photo reference:

here's a pic I took of Volcano while walking next to I305's track in July 2018. .they are literally right next to each other
IMG_4856.JPG
by I305's track
IMG_4857.JPG
turning around for a pic of SBNO Volcano
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:41 pm

So I guess everyone is too lazy to use google maps? They're in the area but definitely not next to each other.

They should use this opportunity to clean up the racing/sci fi/tribal/snowy mountain mish-mash going on at that side of the park. That area was kind of a shocker compared to how charming the other side of the park was, in my opinion.
volc.JPG
Flight of Fear says don't forget about me, fam.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Postby bert425 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm

^ LOL.. it IS pretty forgetful, tho, with the MCBR bringing the ride almost to a full stop!

but good point.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Unpopular opinion: The Flight of Fear coasters are awesome. The trains are dumb and annoying to get into but the ride itself is smooth, insanely disorienting and awesome. Yes, it's a clone but I sincerely don't care. The Flight of Fear rides are criminally underrated.

Postby bert425 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm

coasterbill wrote:Unpopular opinion: The Flight of Fear coasters are awesome. The trains are dumb and annoying to get into but the ride itself is smooth, insanely disorienting and awesome. Yes, it's a clone but I sincerely don't care. The Flight of Fear rides are criminally underrated.

if they were run the same way the outdoor versions were? (Poltergeist & Jokers Jinx), I'd love it and agree with you.

but having those to compare it to - and Poltergeist being at my "home" park, so getting to ride that a lot?

it pales in comparison.

but don't think your opinion on it is unpopular. . hell, if anything my not liking it much is the unpopular opinion. both times I've been to KD, it had long A$$ lines, and the GP seems to really like it.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:So I guess everyone is too lazy to use google maps? They're in the area but definitely not next to each other.

They should use this opportunity to clean up the racing/sci fi/tribal/snowy mountain mish-mash going on at that side of the park. That area was kind of a shocker compared to how charming the other side of the park was, in my opinion.

:nina:

I agree. That area is awkward. I'm probably not thinking enough into it, but adding a decent mixture of flats and getting rid of the oddly themed areas would make this area really nice. CF could stick to what they do best, which is clean lines and minimal themeing. I prefer it this way. I'd rather have an area with less personality rather than an area with too many clashing themes. I'm sure KD has plans for this area well beyond my worthless ideas.

On an unrelated note, how's KD's alcohol availability? When Emily and I visited several years ago I remember only being able to find one place that served beer. It was located somewhere on the Intimidator/FoF side of the park, IIRC. It was kind of a drab cafeteria restaurant area and you couldn't take the beers outside of the patio. I think they stopped serving pretty early.

Emily specifically remembers three things about Kings Dominion. 1) Beer Man sucked. 2) i305 kicked her A$$ way too much. One and done for her. 3) She liked Volcano. None of these things increase my chances of her not throwing a pity party when I feel the urge to go back. We'll be in DC in May and she's not even considering it an option, especially over BGW being in reach. Looks like Food and Wine festival it is. I'm not mad about that.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:07 pm

^^Oh yeah, I'm just referring to the enthusiast community.

For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome. That said, I actually believe that it is because while it's nice that the midcourse doesn't kick on as much you're also racing through "outer space" in the dark and I love that. It makes it one of the most disorienting coasters out there.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 pm

^FoF is fun. Too many beers prior to riding is dangerous. Same with Verbolten's indoor section. Almost found out the hard way on both. Old school Premier launches are fun. Long live Mr. Freeze. RIP Chiller.

I'd agree with those who have said something similar to Copperhead Strike being the most logical replacement for Volcano. That said, I actually think it's premature to talk about it.

Mike240SX wrote:
bert425 wrote:

have you not been to this park?

Based on almost every one of his posts, I'd be surprised if he's been to any parks outside of Tampa, and even that one is pushing it. His title says it all.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

coasterbill wrote:
For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome.

Prime example: B:TR

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:15 pm

I really like Flight of Fear (especially when basically every other ride closes for thunderstorms), but I do prefer the outdoor ones because of how the MCBR doesn't bring the train to a halt.

This is still one of the better clones out there.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Parc Saint Paul &Lake Compounce

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby hoppedup » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm

I used Google Maps to look up the proximity of Intimidator 305 to Volcano. And I noticed someone has been messing with coaster names again. Intimidator 325 :lol:

Also saw The Fury 325, The Millennium Force, Afterbrup (sic), and Invertino (KI)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!