Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 19 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby steamedturtle » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:29 am

disownedpear wrote:Has Volcano been down this whole time? It was down all day yesterday too.

It's been down for about 3 weeks now, but it was operating before that.

Postby teacherkim » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 am

I wonder if they will get it back up for CoasterCon. It is featured heavily in the preliminary ert schedule on the 19th and 20th, two full days at KD. I've been following the thread a bit to catch up on news since I will be bringing my son.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Jason Maier » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:48 am

steamedturtle wrote:
disownedpear wrote:Has Volcano been down this whole time? It was down all day yesterday too.

It's been down for about 3 weeks now, but it was operating before that.

Does Volcano have more downtime than usual for an Intamin?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:01 am

In my experience, Volcano operates pretty reliably on days it's open. But when it goes down, it goes down for multiple days/weeks at a time.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland & World Waterpark

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:21 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:In my experience, Volcano operates pretty reliably on days it's open. But when it goes down, it goes down for multiple days/weeks at a time.

Perfectly said. Volcano was down for weeks (maybe even a month or two) before my visit last summer, but for the two days I was there, it operated perfectly and was pumping out trains with no issue as far as I could tell.
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BryanRph » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:37 pm

It was closed all day with no signs of life last Monday when I was there. That was the only negative to an otherwise wonderful trip!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Volcano was still down today.
It was working fine on my previous visit May 6.

Great visit today. The weather was pretty nice and the crowds were light. I was surprised that I305 was running two trains.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby yodelo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Hey guys, first time going to Kings Dominion in a while! I was hoping someone could help me answer a few questions about the park. Thanks in advance!!!

1. What's the best strategy to minimize wait times? Should I go to twisted timbers first, then try to knock out Dominator/Flight of Fear/Volcano?
2. Between Saturday June 23rd and Sunday June 24th, will there be a noticeable difference in crowds? I was thinking of going on Saturday so I wouldn't be tired at work on Monday
3. Are fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo free? I understand you have to remove loose articles for FoF/I305 and TT
4. Is Dinosaurs Alive! Free?
5. What are some roller coasters/rides that usually have a very short wait that we can do anytime?
6. Any recommendations for dining options?

Postby steamedturtle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 pm

yodelo wrote:1. What's the best strategy to minimize wait times? Should I go to twisted timbers first, then try to knock out Dominator/Flight of Fear/Volcano?

I would go to Twisted Timbers first, and get on one of the first trains of the day. If they're running two trains, you can probably reride a few times. Then I usually walk across the back midway and hit I305 5-8 times. For you, I'd recommend doing Volcano (if it's running) and FoF before I305, as it never really generates a line, even on busy days. While you're in the area, you can hit Backlot as well. Again, if Volcano is running, it's also not a bad idea to go there first, as it's definitely the worst line in the park.

2. Between Saturday June 23rd and Sunday June 24th, will there be a noticeable difference in crowds? I was thinking of going on Saturday so I wouldn't be tired at work on Monday

Depends if you're getting FL+ or not. I never go on Saturdays, so I'm not sure how busy it gets. But Sundays are without question less crowded.

3. Are fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo free? I understand you have to remove loose articles for FoF/I305 and TT

Not free. The loose article policy is this: you can't bring any truly loose items into the line like bags. Glasses with straps are fine. And they will let you put glasses / hats down your shirt, or in your pockets. My suggestion is to wear pants with zipper pockets and don't bring a bag into the park.

4. Is Dinosaurs Alive! Free?

It's an up charge with regular admission. But it's included with gold and platinum passes.

5. What are some roller coasters/rides that usually have a very short wait that we can do anytime?

Grizzly! And as long as you're not a snob, it's a great ride.

They've got a make your own mac and cheese place this year. I like the crab cake sliders at Outer Hanks too. The burgers at Hippo's and Jukebox aren't bad, and all the sides and toppings are super fresh.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 pm

steamedturtle wrote:
yodelo wrote:

They've got a make your own mac and cheese place this year. I like the crab cake sliders at Outer Hanks too. The burgers at Hippo's and Jukebox aren't bad, and all the sides and toppings are super fresh.

I really want to try the Mac N Cheese restaurant at some point. $15 seems pretty steep though

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!