Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1882: The Crypt officially closed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:00 pm

boldikus wrote:Really? On opening day they weren't having any of that. I was still using my zippered pockets, but they were all about the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

I had a coat with zippered pockets, where I kept my phone and glasses (in a case). They were checking everyone wearing glasses for straps, though (they wouldn't let me wear mine on Flight of Fear, either).

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:03 pm

hoppedup wrote:I guess I need to revisit I305. I took 22 years off from riding coasters and it was the third one I rode after that break. Now I have 35 more coasters under my belt. It seemed super intense when I rode it. My daughter didn't want to re-ride I305 so we got many laps on Volcano, Dominator, FoF and Backlot the day we were there. We will probably stop by KD in June on our first big trip this summer since it's on the way home, even if it's just to ride TT and I305.

1995 - Last coaster ride was Thunder Road at Carowinds
2017 - Next three coaster rides: Dominator, Volcano, I305

Wow . . . . why the 22 year break from riding coasters?

At any rate . . . . nice comeback there :)

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby hoppedup » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Jason Maier wrote:

1995-2017: Got married. Got into whitewater kayaking, recording live music shows and a few other hobbies. Had a kid.

2017: Divorced for 4 years. My 15YO called me one day and said she had just been to Carowinds, had a blast and wanted to go back. I suggested KD and BGW since I never went to those as a kid and they had commercials on our local TV station all the time. We rode Dominator first and I was hooked. It was a Proustian moment, for sure. Then we did Volcano and I305 and I realized coasters had changed a lot in 22 years. Two weeks later we had Platinum Cedar Fair passes and SF Gold passes. We went to Dollywood and SFOG in November. We are taking two ten-day trips this summer hitting 14 new to us parks and possibly over 100 new coasters. The bug has bitten hard! We are only an hour and a half from Carowinds so we can go there anytime we like. KD is only three hours so it may get a few visits this year as well.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Vigil » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm meeting my friends at the park tomorrow, and they're trying not to pay for parking. Is there a place they could park their car for the day outside so they could just pile into mine?

On a different note, how is TT doing? Have they figured out the issues? I told them to get there early so we could go ride it before it gets crowded, but if it has issues opening with the park I'd go do Volcano first.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Vigil wrote:I'm meeting my friends at the park tomorrow, and they're trying not to pay for parking. Is there a place they could park their car for the day outside so they could just pile into mine?

On a different note, how is TT doing? Have they figured out the issues? I told them to get there early so we could go ride it before it gets crowded, but if it has issues opening with the park I'd go do Volcano first.

Twisted Timbers didn't open with the park last Friday, but that was due to the cold weather delaying their morning testing. It looks like it'll be 10 degrees warmer tomorrow, so cooler temperatures shouldn't be an issue. Once the ride opened, I didn't see it go down at all on Friday. The second row was blocked off though.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Outlaw Run
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hersheypark & Six Flags Great Adventure

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bigchooch11 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:31 pm

To any Kings Dominion regular visitors trying to figure out the best place to stay for a night that's less than 100 dollars, I've never been to the area so any advice would
be appreciated, Will be going in late June thanks.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:16 pm

HOLY

:shockr: :shockr: :shockr:

I take back all those negative things I have ever said about i305. As of today I FULLY understand the craze for this coaster. Like, I need a moment to catch my breath.

(Full TR to come later! The day is still young, and there is still a lot of park to enjoy!)
Bigger is not always better.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:45 pm

hoppedup wrote:
Jason Maier wrote:

1995-2017: Got married. Got into whitewater kayaking, recording live music shows and a few other hobbies. Had a kid.

2017: Divorced for 4 years. My 15YO called me one day and said she had just been to Carowinds, had a blast and wanted to go back. I suggested KD and BGW since I never went to those as a kid and they had commercials on our local TV station all the time. We rode Dominator first and I was hooked. It was a Proustian moment, for sure. Then we did Volcano and I305 and I realized coasters had changed a lot in 22 years. Two weeks later we had Platinum Cedar Fair passes and SF Gold passes. We went to Dollywood and SFOG in November. We are taking two ten-day trips this summer hitting 14 new to us parks and possibly over 100 new coasters. The bug has bitten hard! We are only an hour and a half from Carowinds so we can go there anytime we like. KD is only three hours so it may get a few visits this year as well.

I totally understand this story. I got out of coasters in 2007. I got married, had a kid, and my life went in a different direction. In 2012 we brought my daughter to SDC during my wife's work picnic event, and she loved it. That's what got me back into theme parks. Not as much time, granted, but I get you. Your kids can sometimes show you something you love.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bill_s » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 am

TT was running both trains last night with no blocked-off rows. So all worked out. I rode far back and front for the first times. Both were great, front better. More hang and air at the leading edge of the hills rather than the ends. It was really using every last bit of momentum to complete the course though, maybe due to it being breezy and some empty seats. The end was only a little mild but the brakes may or may not have touched before the drive wheels engaged and accelerated the train!

I tried Border Burritos. This year the menu choices are halved but there are actually more items to put on it. They added pork, and I tried the OMG shredded beef with Spanish rice and refries etc.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby thepoint4life23 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:13 pm

I found this funny. Not sure what to think of it but still entertaining. https://thepeedmont.com/2017/04/27/humanitarian-efforts-underway-after-kings-dominion-volcano-erupts/
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!