The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 319: Virgin Voyages announces The Beach Club at Bimini
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I LOVE the Norwegian Dream!!

Postby taytig » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:58 pm

The Disney Dream is doing some 5 day cruises. I know they are not 7 day, but they do hit a double stop at Castaway Cay. When we book, we are going to try the 5 day. 3 days only good for hesitant cruisers who want to see what cruising is like. 4 Days are good for short get-a-ways, The 5 day is a good compromise.....

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 pm

^Yeah I saw a couple of those five days offered, but to be honest I'm not that big of a beach person so Castaway Cay twice is kind of a let down.

I've been there before, it's a very, very nice private island with a great setup, I just have no need to go twice on the same cruise. I would just stay on the ship which is normally fine on port days but in my experience on Castaway Cay from years ago it seemed like the moved EVERYTHING to the island and had very few things to do on board during the stop.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby frozenflames » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:43 pm

I would like to go on another cruise at some point. I've been on two different ones, one on the Carnival Fascination in 2003, and one on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas, in 2007. While I liked the ships, I never really got to do much on them, mainly because of my age and who I was with. I was going into high school when I went on my first cruise, and as such, was too old for the children's activities, and too young for everything else. When I went on my second cruise, it was a trip/ competition for my school choir, so I was pretty much required to be with them at all times.

I would love to be able to go on a cruise and explore everything on my own terms, or maybe do a TPR cruise, if the opportunity ever presented itself (and if I had the financial means). I've been quite envious of my parents lately, as they've gone on a cruise every winter for the past four years, leaving me to be stuck at school.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:52 pm

My immediate family now has reservations on the new Disney Dream cruise for late April 2011. This will be my first cruise.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess wrote:Medicines make me sleep which I hate. I can't seem to enjoy anything if I'm drowsy, other than sleep of course. I can't stand the pressure of those pressure point things, find it so annoying and uncomfortable. Turns out that point it's pressing on is the point that you can push on to make an attacker let go of you, for self defence purposes (learned that from Tae Kwon Do class).

I've even tried taking Chinese herbs for motion sickness and it didn't help either. Turns out it's actually an underlying condition of mine that's contributing alot to motion sickness, low blood pressure. Been told it's something I'll outgrow, don't know when though.

I have never taken an Atlantic cruise before but thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider that sometime in the future, not sure where to yet.

TRANSDERM SCOP!!!!! It is the greatest invention known to man. I get extreme motion sickness on boats. We ate on a ship that was docked, and I got so sick! This patch is a miracle. I could also never do any spinning rides, but with the patch, I can ride the teacups as fast, and as many times as I want. It looks like a mini nicotine patch that you put behind your ear. It can make your mouth a little dry, but that is all. I get completely knocked out by Dramamine, but with this patch I don't get any tiredness at all. You also just keep it on, and can swim and shower with it. You change it every 3 days, and it's great! I can't recommend it enough. I have tried everything else, all the natural, unnatural, and in-between and this is the only thing that worked. You can only get it by prescription. Good Luck! :b

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:46 pm

I gotta admit I am somewhat in the middle of the argument on 3-day vs. 7-day cruises. The majority of my cruises have been 3 and 4 days and I love them because I can do MANY more of them since the cost per day is generally lower. It also has allowed me to try ships that I never would have risked being stuck on for 7 days. Downside (at least from Florida) on 3 and 4 days you generally only go to Nassau....and Nassau sucks.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 pm

I've done one 3-night (DCL,) one 4-night (DCL.) and one 7-night (RCCL.)

I think the 3 and 4 night cruises are good for those of us who are fortunate enough to be within easy driving distance of the port, although the 3-night really did seem too short, for us. The 4-night was a nice getaway.

I didn't even get off the ship at Nassau. My second trip to Castaway Cay, I just did the power walk that was offered, had lunch at the buffet, and headed back to the ship. I'm pretty meh about Castaway Cay. I didn't find it to be quite as wonderful as most people, but then, I live on the beach, so I'm pretty spoiled, that way.

I think I may try the patch, on my next cruise. I used Bonine on the Mexican Riviera cruise, and I found that it made me very lethargic. I only need it when the ship is rocking, but I hate that groggy feeling. It pretty much wrecked my day in Mazatlan. :(

The woman with a million questions

Postby Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 pm

jray21 wrote:TRANSDERM SCOP!!!!! It is the greatest invention known to man. I get extreme motion sickness on boats. We ate on a ship that was docked, and I got so sick! This patch is a miracle. I could also never do any spinning rides, but with the patch, I can ride the teacups as fast, and as many times as I want. It looks like a mini nicotine patch that you put behind your ear. It can make your mouth a little dry, but that is all. I get completely knocked out by Dramamine, but with this patch I don't get any tiredness at all. You also just keep it on, and can swim and shower with it. You change it every 3 days, and it's great! I can't recommend it enough. I have tried everything else, all the natural, unnatural, and in-between and this is the only thing that worked. You can only get it by prescription. Good Luck! :b

I remembered reading about something like that afew years ago in some science magazine. It was originally developed by NASA for astronauts, to help them with the high G and negative G environment. I would guess that it's not supposed to make you feel sleepy either, because astronauts need their full attention at all times. Good enough for NASA, good enough for me I guess.

Hope I can get a prescription for it, although I still don't really like the idea of using any medication on rides. (But that's just from bad experiance)

Anyways I'm just wondering, are Alaskan cruises usually rough? Or was it just a bad time of the year. From what I remember, it was in Feburary.
Best: | 1. Medusa (SFDK) | 2. Coaster (Playland) | 3. Behemoth (CW) | 4. Giant Dipper (SCBB) | 5. Titan (SFOT) Worst: | 1. Grizzly (CGA) | 2. Flight Deck (CW) | 3. Corkscrew (Playland) | 4. Dragon Fire (CW) | 5. Rainbow Chaser (Fun Forest)
- Rides don't hurt people, people do. (although some exceptions)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Swiminn6 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 pm

I think I would go on a lot of 3 or 4 day cruises if I lived in Florida because it would allow more cruises just like Reed said although if it were Oasis of the Seas or something I would probably book a 7 night. I agree to the people who think the EPIC looks really cool and I think I would save up to have a suite. I just hope the EPIC lives up to how it looks in the renders.

Swiminn6 wrote:
I would never. Here is why, 1. You have to buy the room which is your own house so you would basically never go on any other ship. 2. It seems a little boring to me as there's no real appeal to it besides the places it goes to. 3. I love the cruising atmosphere and all the activities you can do aboard a real cruise ship. 4. They even say it's a ghost town sometimes and I would hate that!

You don't have to buy. They also rent. And people rich enough to live on that boat certainly could cruise on another boat if they wanted to.

Well I still wouldn't even if I had the money because the ship seriously looks bland. I don't know, I'm just not a huge fan of the ship.

Also we took the 4 night in the parks, 3 nights on the ship for our Disney cruise as it was our first cruise and we didn't want to spend the whole week on ship if we didn't like cruising. We chose Disney because my brother and I were young and we were familiar with Disney. They are good amounts of time for people like us who were first time cruisers.

But like I said before to the people who have motion sickness, go on the bigger ships because you will barely feel anything. I have also noticed when you are laying in bed you don't feel a thing!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby jbottgen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:59 pm

For me, it is 7 nights or more all the time. I did a 3 night once, and it felt just like an expensive weekend.

My motion sickness cure is ginger. Fresh, candied, powdered, even ginger ale. They all work pretty good and they are easy to get.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!