The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 320: DCL Disney Wish & Lighthouse Point details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby stranger3113 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:43 am

I'm very excited for the new Disney Dream and hope I don't have to wait to long before I can take a cruise on it. I have only been on a Disney cruise (about 6 of them) and I can never bring myself to look at another cruise line. Something about their ships and how beautiful they are compared to other cruise lines. I am worried about the aquaduck sticking out to much from the new ship and ruining the overall look of the ship.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby senna » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:32 am

A few years back I done a Carnival cruise from Tampa and I loved it and would 100% do another one, but probably a Disney one as I am a DVC member so get it cheaper and get asked on special events.

The food and tours were fantastic and it was great to feel that I was away from everything whilist on the ship.

Falling asleep sitting on the deck looking at the stars was :)

The only problem I had was getting sun burnt, I thought as it was not sunny I would be ok but I was wrong.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:14 am

^^ Welcome to TPR! Very excited about the Disney Dream as well. I'm booked on the inaugural cruise so I will have a first hand report posted here about a year from now. ;) DCL is my favorite as well (been on 9 of them!) but it is good to try other lines to get some perspective. I agree about the beauty of the DCL ships though, I love the classy Art Deco/Nouveau styling especially in the lobby. My favorite between the two is the Wonder - I like the slightly lighter color palate that is used and I prefer Ariel's and the Cadillac Lounge.

Oh.. and I wouldn't worry too much about the AquaDuck. I'm sure the Imagineers are putting lots of time into making sure the ship looks amazing even with it.
429-26-11a_6A_500w.jpg
Disney Wonder Lobby is so beautiful!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:11 am

While researching for a possible cruise later this year, I went back and looked at the TPR Cruise from '08.....mainly because of that frickin' awesome zipline!

I then realized it was in Haiti, so I checked on it's current status. If anyone's curious, here's an article from the Miami Herald, dated 1-16-10:

Royal Caribbean International's Independence of the Seas returned to Haiti's undamaged north coast Friday, bringing both passengers and relief supplies.

The cruise line's decision to continue regular cruise stops at its private resort at Labadee, Haiti, came after careful consideration of how it would affect Haitian residents and cruise passengers, company officials said.

``It was not a tough decision once we established that Labadee was not affected by the earthquake,'' Adam M. Goldstein, president and chief executive of the Royal Caribbean International unit said. ``We can take advantage of the opportunity to provide Haiti with supplies and to provide economic activity.''

Miami-based Royal Caribbean, which has been operating on the island almost 30 years, recently spent $55 million to upgrade its Labadee beach resort with a pier, a zipline and rollercoaster. The company employs 230 Haitians at Labadee and generates jobs for another 300 at a straw market. The resort is about 85 miles from the capitol of Port-au-Prince.

Passengers on the Independence ``gave a standing ovation'' in the ship's auditorium on hearing the line's decision to go to Labadee with emergency food supplies, said Cynthia Martinez, a Royal Caribbean's spokeswoman.

But on the message boards of the online site, CruiseCritic.com, comments reflected some split reaction over Royal Caribbean's quick return. Some praised the move, but others shivered. A posting from Bakincakes read: ``It was hard enough to sit and eat a picnic lunch at Labadee, before the earthquake, knowing how many Haitians were starving. I can't imagine having to choke down a burger there now . . .''

Still, some travel agents applauded the decision. Said Bob Cook, vice president of sales at Go Travel, a cruise travel agency in Longwood, Fla, ``Anything you can do to continue normalcy in Haiti is helpful. . . . People will feel they're doing more by going there than not.''

Stewart Chiron, a Miami-based cruise expert who runs CruiseGuy.com, applauded the cruise line's action.``It would have done more harm than good if they hesitated in going back,'' he said.

Royal Caribbean plans to provide at least $1 million in aid to Haiti, working with nonprofit groups like Food for the Poor, Pan American Development Foundation, and the Solano Foundation, a company foundation in Haiti. Its own Crew Relief Fund is available to more than 200 Haitian crew members.

In addition, the company said all its net revenue from Labadee will be plowed into relief efforts for a period, though it didn't say how long that would be. The company also set up a process for passengers to make donations to Haitian relief efforts by credit card.

On its Friday port call, Independence of the Seas carried rice, dried beans, powdered milk, water and canned goods that the crew quickly loaded in Puerto Rico after the earthquake struck. Food for the Poor will help distribute the supplies.

Other ships set to carry supplies to Labadee include Navigator of the Seas, set to arrive Monday, Jan. 18; Liberty of the Seas, slated for Tuesday, Jan. 19; and Celebrity Soltice, scheduled for Friday Jan. 22.

Those ships will load goods in South Florida, according to Martinez, Royal Caribbean's spokeswoman.

Goldstein, Royal Caribbean's president, met Thursday with former President Bill Clinton, the United Nations' special envoy to Haiti, and Dr. Paul Farmer, deputy special envoy, to discuss relief efforts to the island. Goldstein said Royal's efforts will evolve as the situation does.

Leslie Voltaire, Haiti's special envoy to the U.N., said in a statement, ``Given the terrible economic and social challenges we now face in Haiti, we welcome the continuation of the positive economic benefits that the cruise ship calls to Labadee contribute to our country.''

Wrote Goldstein in a blog posting, ``There were a lot of discussions about this, but in the end, Labadee is critical to Haiti's recovery and hundreds of people rely on Labadee for their livelihood. . . . Simply put, we cannot abandon Haiti now that they need us most.''
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:15 am

There were some really heated discussions on the cruise enthusiast message boards about Royal Caribbean going back to 'Labadee' (private fenced off beach in Haiti) so soon after the Earthquake.

I just didn't understand it. RC brings the country money and tourism, they also brought hundreds of pallets of supplies with each visit. Do you really want RC to skip that port and deny the locals that work there money and resources? You boycott something you want to put out of business so why the hell would you boycott a place that needs help!?!?

It seriously made no sense to me whatsoever. Especially when all of the Haitians (including the president) BEGGED for RC to come back ASAP!!!

On a side note we'll be in Labadee in a few weeks and I'm excited to give them more of my money and support the island.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby stranger3113 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:43 pm

disneyfan1313 wrote:^^ Welcome to TPR! Very excited about the Disney Dream as well. I'm booked on the inaugural cruise so I will have a first hand report posted here about a year from now. ;) DCL is my favorite as well (been on 9 of them!) but it is good to try other lines to get some perspective. I agree about the beauty of the DCL ships though, I love the classy Art Deco/Nouveau styling especially in the lobby. My favorite between the two is the Wonder - I like the slightly lighter color palate that is used and I prefer Ariel's and the Cadillac Lounge.

Oh.. and I wouldn't worry too much about the AquaDuck. I'm sure the Imagineers are putting lots of time into making sure the ship looks amazing even with it.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading trip reports and lurking since about 2005 so I decided I should join. :lolr: I have to say that I am very jealous of the fact you get to do the inaugural cruise but im looking forward to hearing all about it.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:51 pm

I too really want to sail the Disney Dream, but I hate going on cruises for less than seven days. I guess I'll have to wait till the Dream's sister ship comes out so that one of the big ships will do seven day cruises.

I know that I could do a 'back to back', but then you lose a day for no reason!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:21 pm

^While I'm far from a cruise expert or anything, I really don't think I'd want to do one that is less than seven days. To me, it would seem like a shorter cruise would be over so quickly, that by the time you're just getting used to the boat, it's time to get off!

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:26 pm

^Exactly!

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:41 pm

I love cruises, and have done 3 so far in my life...and everyone has been amazing! One was 3 days (the Big Red Boat?) and the other two were 7 day cruises with Princess. After the last two I can't imagine doing anything shorter than 7 days...there is just so much to do and 3 days would be over so quick! I really liked the Princess Cruises though, although the ships were sort of bland (I think I did like the Sun and Golden Princess). They had a lot of cool activities for kids my age (I was in elementary and middle school for the 2 cruises) in addition to all of the fun stuff to do at each port. I really want to go on a RC cruise though, as their ships look amazing and look to offer a ton more than any cruise I have been on!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!