The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 320: DCL Disney Wish & Lighthouse Point details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:56 pm

I've only been on 2 DCL cruises, and one RCCL. We found that both had their pros and cons, but I think I actually give RCCL the edge, for what is important to us, value and overall experience.

On our second DCL cruise, we already were getting a "been there, done that" feeling. I don't feel we've even scratched the surface of what RCCL has to offer.

DCL gets the edge for children's services. No surprise, there, but RCCL's is good, too. It just pales, a bit, in comparison to Disney.

I don't know if we'll consider other cruise lines, until the kids are older and we can go on our own. ;) DCL and RCCL seem to be the best family lines.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Swiminn6 wrote:I would never. Here is why, 1. You have to buy the room which is your own house so you would basically never go on any other ship. 2. It seems a little boring to me as there's no real appeal to it besides the places it goes to. 3. I love the cruising atmosphere and all the activities you can do aboard a real cruise ship. 4. They even say it's a ghost town sometimes and I would hate that!

You don't have to buy. They also rent. And people rich enough to live on that boat certainly could cruise on another boat if they wanted to.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:19 pm

DCL gets the edge for children's services. No surprise, there, but RCCL's is good, too. It just pales, a bit, in comparison to Disney.

Being DINKs - one of the things we love about DCL is the lack of kids running around. You see them for the main shows but if you have the late dinner that is really the only time! You do pay a premium price for DCL but if you figure in the extras (free soda...woo-hoo!) and the quality of the service to me it is worth it...but I am fully aware it is not for everyone.

I think your post has changed my mind a bit Reed, I may reconsider and try NCL, I suppose if we could get a few of us together and try to get one of their insane suites they seem to have the best 'suite perks' of all the major lines it could be a lot of fun!

The Epic does have some amazing suites. The lowest suite prices are around $2300 next fall. Check out some of these pics of what their suites look like. Plus you get access to the special courtyard, pool and lounge. Lets book it before NCL goes out of business ;)
1024x768-courtyardpenthouse.jpg
I feel like this bed should rotate! ;)
1024x768-deluxeownerssuite.jpg
OMG. This is seriously the most amazing setup EVER on a ship.
1024x768-privatecourtyard.jpg
With a suite you get access to this private courtyard area, pool and spa.
1024x768-studiolounge.jpg
And a private concierge lounge with receptions, etc.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Ok, this REALLY gets me jazzed for ANY cruise ship in the next couple years. LOVE the water park on Norwegion Epic.

Great thread! =)

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby nursemelis374 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Ohhhh, those suites are amazing! The view from the bedrooms are beautiful and what a great deal!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Daytona'95 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Cruising is probably one my more favorable activities to do. Even the terrible cruise was more fun than working/school/any other boredom that is Daytona...
In fact, the parental and I are actually planning to go on the Epic either way later this year or right after the new year.
As far as the Freestyle cruising, I may be in the minority here, but I prefer it. Choosing when to eat instead of it being assigned makes it so much easier to relax and enjoy the cruise. Even with having late seating on traditional dinner plans, I still feel like hurried and still have to plan around dinner. Plus the freestyle way gets to let you meet new people(which is great if your table buddies are lame).
Far as personal ranking of the cruise lines i've been on it would be
1.Princess- Never a bad experience on this line. Staff, cleanliness, food etc has always been A++(Original Crown,Grand,Star)
2.RCCL- Now its been many years and I was about 8 or 9 so I cant really have a valid opinion, but the parentals said it was okay, not Princess standards, but otherwise a good cruise.(Splendor)
-1000 Costa- Don't even get me started. Just Don't ever, ever, ever go near this line. Didn't think there was such thing as a bad cruise, I was horribly wrong.(Fortuna)

But all in all, I am looking forward to see how this thread pans out, and more importantly would be thrilled to do a TPR cruise.

The woman with a million questions

Postby Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:10 pm

The last few cruises I've been on are all at least 3 years ago. Only cruised with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I'm not a big fan of cruising, mainly because of motion sickness. I ended up pretty much sleeping or lying down for most of the days when I went on an Alaska cruise. Favourite part of any cruise...The food! Mmmmm. :P
Best: | 1. Medusa (SFDK) | 2. Coaster (Playland) | 3. Behemoth (CW) | 4. Giant Dipper (SCBB) | 5. Titan (SFOT) Worst: | 1. Grizzly (CGA) | 2. Flight Deck (CW) | 3. Corkscrew (Playland) | 4. Dragon Fire (CW) | 5. Rainbow Chaser (Fun Forest)
- Rides don't hurt people, people do. (although some exceptions)

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby jbottgen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:06 pm

While researching a cruise the I am looking at this summer on RCCL, I ran across two pretty cool shore excusions. Coasters in the Carribeen. One is in Labadee, Hatie called the Dragon Tail, and the other is bobsled themed, in Jamica. Both are gravity fed coasters.

I like the life on the ships, but nothing beats the shore excursions.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess wrote:The last few cruises I've been on are all at least 3 years ago. Only cruised with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I'm not a big fan of cruising, mainly because of motion sickness. I ended up pretty much sleeping or lying down for most of the days when I went on an Alaska cruise. Favourite part of any cruise...The food! Mmmmm. :P

Did you try anything to stop the motion sickness? My wife swears by the bracelets with the pressure point things in them and I know others who say medicine or ginger candies stopped any issues. Plus if you only have done a west coast cruise you might want to try one in the Atlantic during the summer - as long as there are no weather systems in the area the ocean is usually glass smooth.

The woman with a million questions

Postby Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:47 pm

Medicines make me sleep which I hate. I can't seem to enjoy anything if I'm drowsy, other than sleep of course. I can't stand the pressure of those pressure point things, find it so annoying and uncomfortable. Turns out that point it's pressing on is the point that you can push on to make an attacker let go of you, for self defence purposes (learned that from Tae Kwon Do class).

I've even tried taking Chinese herbs for motion sickness and it didn't help either. Turns out it's actually an underlying condition of mine that's contributing alot to motion sickness, low blood pressure. Been told it's something I'll outgrow, don't know when though.

I have never taken an Atlantic cruise before but thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider that sometime in the future, not sure where to yet.
Best: | 1. Medusa (SFDK) | 2. Coaster (Playland) | 3. Behemoth (CW) | 4. Giant Dipper (SCBB) | 5. Titan (SFOT) Worst: | 1. Grizzly (CGA) | 2. Flight Deck (CW) | 3. Corkscrew (Playland) | 4. Dragon Fire (CW) | 5. Rainbow Chaser (Fun Forest)
- Rides don't hurt people, people do. (although some exceptions)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!