Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 814: Record-breaking RMC hybrid coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Too Slow For Comfort

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 am

VegasBaby wrote:
A.J. wrote:So I caught it on the only weekend out of the entire year that it was scheduled to be down. Phooey!

Good to know about Kumba, I wasn't planning on visiting again until the middle of March anyway.

Since BGT is a year round park, they usually always have their maintenance schedule posted on their website. It’s always worth a look before planning a trip there, especially in the off-season.

Yeah, that's definitely pretty awesome that Busch does this. For one -- they actually do awesome maintenance, but keeping people in the loop is great too. Six Flags doesn't care. They don't do a bad job on maintenance, but I don't see them going out of their way to keep guests in the loop. I think that what kills Six Flags is that the employees will often not know how to respond to an issue or will struggle to get a train out when the system starts acting up. Better training and having the money to hire A players could let them hire ride ops who were more mechanically savvy and better able to adapt to different scenarios. Also probably don't have enough mechanics on staff to respond to issues.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:26 am

Yeah, we always check this calendar before planning trips. At this point we visit enough that the only deal-breakers are really Kumba and Montu (though Montu rarely goes down for refurb, it's a tank and they run the crap out of it).

Postby thrillrider » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
VegasBaby wrote:
A.J. wrote:So I caught it on the only weekend out of the entire year that it was scheduled to be down. Phooey!

Good to know about Kumba, I wasn't planning on visiting again until the middle of March anyway.

Since BGT is a year round park, they usually always have their maintenance schedule posted on their website. It’s always worth a look before planning a trip there, especially in the off-season.

Yeah, that's definitely pretty awesome that Busch does this. For one -- they actually do awesome maintenance, but keeping people in the loop is great too. Six Flags doesn't care. They don't do a bad job on maintenance, but I don't see them going out of their way to keep guests in the loop. I think that what kills Six Flags is that the employees will often not know how to respond to an issue or will struggle to get a train out when the system starts acting up. Better training and having the money to hire A players could let them hire ride ops who were more mechanically savvy and better able to adapt to different scenarios. Also probably don't have enough mechanics on staff to respond to issues.

Cedar fair and six flags are basically the same when listing ride closures. I actually found ride closures slightly easier to find at six flags parks. Typically they have a board at the parks entrance, and listed on the website.
Screenshot_20190115-113451_Samsung Internet.jpg
20180628_153513_0.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 am

That's not even close to the same thing.

Six Flags only tells you when a ride is closed right now. It doesn't tell you in advance of the closure or when they expect it to reopen once it's closed. Knott's tells you (at most) about a month in advance on the bottom of this page.

At Magic Mountain, you could walk into the park one day and find a ride closed that operated the previous day with no advanced warning even if it was planned and no timetable of when it'll reopen (even if they expect it to be down for months).

Busch Gardens Tampa gives you the entire planned refurb schedule for the following year by mid-December so that you can plan vacations around it if there are certain rides that you want to make sure you get to ride. Depending on when you plan your trip you have over a year's notice.

This page is awesome and they should be commended for doing it because most parks don't.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby hoppedup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 am

It seems like the ride closure schedule would only be necessary at year-round parks. Carowinds just added that to their website (It is still blank right now). The only other Cedar Fair park websites with that option are Knott's Berry Farm and California's Great America. CGA just has what was closed during Winterfest.

Maybe it will just show ride closures for holiday events at Carowinds? Seems like the open attractions list would take care of that.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 am

hoppedup wrote:It seems like the ride closure schedule would only be necessary at year-round parks.

For sure. Any closure at a seasonal park is likely unplanned and due to a mechanical issue unless they're just posting redundant operating lists for their Christmas events.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:07 am

thrillrider wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
VegasBaby wrote:

Cedar fair and six flags are basically the same when listing ride closures. I actually found ride closures slightly easier to find at six flags parks. Typically they have a board at the parks entrance, and listed on the website.

Its just a rite of passage at a Six Flags park to look at the board, and see 2-4 rides that they're not even attempting to open for the day. Then you get the rides that break down on top of that throughout the day. And of course the worst is when its a coaster that you need the credit for.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:27 am

I don't know what Six Flags parks you go to but aside from a few of them (La Ronde and the California parks for example) it's rare to go to a Six Flags park and see a coaster closed with the park making no attempt to open it unless it has a major mechanical issue or it's green and it's name's Goliath (which is suffering from a "major mechanical issue" almost every minute of every day).

I don't even know the last time I went to Great Adventure and saw a coaster closed all day (Joker usually sh*ts itself in the home-stretch of Holiday in the Park once temps get hilariously low but during the rest of the season with reasonable weather it's fine).

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:39 pm

coasterbill wrote:I don't know what Six Flags parks you go to but aside from a few of them (La Ronde and the California parks for example) it's rare to go to a Six Flags park and see a coaster closed with the park making no attempt to open it unless it has a major mechanical issue or it's green and it's name's Goliath (which is suffering from a "major mechanical issue" almost every minute of every day).

I don't even know the last time I went to Great Adventure and saw a coaster closed all day (Joker usually sh*ts itself in the home-stretch of Holiday in the Park once temps get hilariously low but during the rest of the season with reasonable weather it's fine).

I meant to say "ride" not coaster. Always guaranteed to see some ride closures, if not including a coaster or two in there as well. I've been to about 2/3 of the SF parks in the chain, will probably get to the rest within a few years. Its the same everywhere. In contrast, CF is usually one at most, but most days they run everything. Don't think I've ever been to a SF park where everything was operating all at once -- and SFA used to be my home park as a kid and I'd go 5-10 times a year.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote: and SFA used to be my home park as a kid

No wonder you hate Six Flags so much.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!