Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

P. 131: $12 million entrance & Boardwalk improvement project
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Postby sfmman2000 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:04 pm

WayCool64 wrote:I will definitely say that the highlight of my visit was Undertow. Not only was it a really great coaster (I'd even put it in my list of favorites), but it also partially helped one of my friends get over her small fear of roller coasters, which I must say was a great accomplishment. The coaster was so great, we were able to ride it twice on both sides.

Any chance they had the trims open? Every time I've ridden it, every trim brake has been in use, making for a fairly dull ride aside from the first drop.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 am

sfmman2000 wrote:Any chance they had the trims open? Every time I've ridden it, every trim brake has been in use, making for a fairly dull ride aside from the first drop.

If my memory serves me correct, I believe that the brakes were in use when I rode it, though it didn't bother me as much. Again, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby aCoasterStory » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:59 pm

So I'm going to be in the area the weekend of 8/16-17, and I was looking at visiting the park on Saturday the 16th. I probably wouldn't be able to get there until the evening (6-7), but the rides are open till 11, so I figure I should be able to have enough time to enjoy everything, right? What kinds of crowds/wait times should I expect given that it'll be a Saturday night? I'm not huge on most flats, but I figure I'd like to get several rides in on the coasters. Is a wristband my best bet? Any other must-ride attractions? And are there any special deals/tips/tricks/etc I should know about? Thanks!
ImageImage[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe4eae113273e4d0a98298b9baf940f3.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/c4cf17bf527e6833157bf159cfe53ac7.jpg[/img][/url]

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Expect it to be BUSY. Switchbacks will be full, but weather will play a big part in it all. With the way its been, the weather is unpredictable. Its Winter when it should be Summer, and vice-versa. So as long as you keep up on checking that, you should have your expectations set. Operations at the Boardwalk rule, so you should be able to to a majority but I wouldn't go as far as saying you could do everything there. If you get there at 6, you stand a good chance to ride a lot. There are some great price breaks to take advantage of, but none that I know of on a Saturday. Get a wristband, and buy online. It will save you a couple bucks. Here is a list of things I would suggest to anyone as 'must rides'. If you have been on similar rides before its worth it to ride just for the unique views it may offer, or for the different program they may run vs. the one you've been on before.

Rock-O-Plane
Giant Dipper
Undertow
WipeOut
Tornado
Loggers Revenge
Fireball
CaveTrain
Haunted Castle
Ghost Blasters
Rock & Roll
Cliff Hanger
Crazy Surf
Tasunami
Doubleshot
Tigga, please!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Keep in mind a long line at the Boardwalk is often just 15-20 minutes maximum.

Your best deal on a wristband (must buy 2) might be at Costco, in-store or online (http://www.costco.com/Santa-Cruz-Beach-Boardwalk-2-Rides-%2b-Attractions-Combos-E-Voucher.product.100112236.html)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

The Boardwalk's operations are outstanding. Most of the flats are no longer than 15 minute waits even with full switchbacks. The Giant Dipper is usually 15-20 minutes at worst if they have two trains going. Undertow was by far my worst wait. The park sent off trains quite quickly, but the ride still had almost an hour wait with a full queue. I'd say you should be able to get several rides on the Dipper but Undertow could be tricky.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:The Boardwalk's operations are outstanding. Most of the flats are no longer than 15 minute waits even with full switchbacks. The Giant Dipper is usually 15-20 minutes at worst if they have two trains going. Undertow was by far my worst wait. The park sent off trains quite quickly, but the ride still had almost an hour wait with a full queue. I'd say you should be able to get several rides on the Dipper but Undertow could be tricky.
This is mostly true, they do have great operations. Undertow is the longest line, usually no worse than an hour though. Dipper's line always looks worse than it is. If the line is out the door and fills the switchbacks its maybe 45 minutes. Line at the door is usually anywhere between 15-30.

Postby laqueefa » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:44 pm

singemfrc wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Dipper's line always looks worse than it is. If the line is out the door and fills the switchbacks its maybe 45 minutes. Line at the door is usually anywhere between 15-30.

This is how its been Thurs-Sat. Switchbacks for Dipper are all the way full and spilling out a little bit.
If he is showing up and riding 7pm-11pm, waiting in line for both Undertow and Dipper will eat up some time. Especially with a crowded Boardwalk.
Tigga, please!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:21 pm

^ But even when it's busiest, one ride each shouldnt be more than about 90-100min total. Busy by Boardwalk standards but still easy compared to Disney/SF/CP waits on equally busy days.

Postby laqueefa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Taking consideration: parking, waiting for rides, bathroom breaks, eating, beers, crowds, watching bums corn-hole each other under the boardwalk, etc. It can be done, just really rushed.
Tigga, please!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!