Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

P. 131: $12 million entrance & Boardwalk improvement project
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Postby CoastersOnly » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 am

So is the consensus that Undertow is better than Hurricane? I actually liked Hurricane quite a bit. It was exciting from beginning to end and had some nice little Gs given its size. I would honestly rather ride Hurricane than most of the coasters in Northern California. It's better than Boomerang, and maybe Roar/Kong at DK and better than a couple of them at Great America as well. I was sad to see it leave and would rather they had three big coasters instead of, still, two.

Any information on when the park isn't that busy? I think I went during a Sunday in September back in 2010 and I imagine that's about as good as it gets aside from offseason. No real extensive wait times for anything and maybe 15 minutes at most for the dipper. We rode anything we wanted to and played the mini golf and laser tag, both of which are very high quality...hell, the mini golf is a heck of a value, has a cool theme and is also fairly easy to get a hole-in-one on and receive a free game.

Also, is there any information on the night time deals this year and when they are? It's usually like an unlimited rides pass for $15 with the right Pepsi can or whathaveyou. I remember going with a friend in college for that promotion and we went on a ton of rides and also took on the two attractions upgrade for a few extra bucks. We ended up playing three games of mini golf since we each won a third one on our second game.

Pro-tip: It might be worth checking out if there's different hours for some of the side attractions so that you can possibly do them after the rides close. Gives you more ride time which is a bonus if you're there at night for just a handful of hours...in the day I guess it really doesn't matter as there's more than enough time to ride all that stuff twice.

One more question. Parking. Anybody know of great places to park nearby that are free? Parking's kind of expensive at BB and I'd rather walk a half-mile or whatever if I can stealthily park at a Safeway or whathaveyou.

One More Pro-Tip: If you've never been on it, seriously, don't go into the Haunted House. I think the relatively recent revamp only made it worse. The line is usually the longest in the entire park and the ride itself is an absolute bore. Not worth your tickets or even your time if you have the pass. Better, go on the other haunted house ride on the other side of the park which is also a shoot 'em up game. Way fun.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:45 am

Your "Pro-Tip" is to skip the Haunted House?!

Tigga, please!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:43 am

Yeah I liked Hurricane a lot too but I do think Undertow has proven to be a better ride. It's definitely better than Roar or Boomerang, that's not even close.

Sundays in Spring are usually not too bad for crowds. I went on a Sunday two weeks ago and it was only about 10-15 min waits for Undertow or Dipper. Every once in a while if you can go on short notice SCBB will post on their Facebook that they are unexpectedly running all rides on an off day, those would be even better but you don't know ahead of time when they happen.

The discounted evening wristband I believe is a summer only promotion usually, it probably won't be going for a few months yet. I think that runs along side the pepsi can promotion if they still do that.

Postby CoastersOnly » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:18 pm

laqueefa wrote:Your "Pro-Tip" is to skip the Haunted House?!

Yes, it's that terrible and instead of scaring people it just makes them go WTF?...just like the last four seasons of Dexter.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby fraroc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 pm

I should consider myself fortunate that I still have an SDC Hurricane at my home park, Adventureland. I agree with you guys, Hurricanes are really forceful rides, they only go around 35mph, but during the ride you swear that you're going 50mph. The "teardrop" element after the first drop is packed with Gs and you would swear that Hurricane is a Schwarzkopf.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:51 pm

CoastersOnly wrote:
laqueefa wrote:Your "Pro-Tip" is to skip the Haunted House?!

Yes, it's that terrible and instead of scaring people it just makes them go WTF?...just like the last four seasons of Dexter.

It's still way better than the typical Sally dark ride.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Postby CoastersOnly » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:11 pm

They certainly put effort into it, but there's not enough there there. The ride has too many stretches of nothingness and hardly anything popping out to scare you. The only joy myself, my friend and girlfriend got from it was the random Raptor near the end.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 pm

CoastersOnly wrote:So is the consensus that Undertow is better than Hurricane? I actually liked Hurricane quite a bit.

I don't know if I could rate one over the other. They are both good for different reasons. Hurricane was intense, thrilling, and rough. Undertow is modern, smooth, and not quite as thrilling. It made good business sense for the Boardwalk to put something in the whole family will ride.

CoastersOnly wrote:Any information on when the park isn't that busy? I think I went during a Sunday in September back in 2010 and I imagine that's about as good as it gets aside from offseason.

Weekends during the off-season can be moderately busy depending on weather, although ride lines shouldn't be more than 10-15 minutes max.

CoastersOnly wrote:Also, is there any information on the night time deals this year and when they are?

Looks like that info isn't released yet. Historically, Mon-Tues after 5pm all rides are $1. Wed-Thurs is Pepsi night -- bring a PepsiCo can for a ~$15 wristband. Although if you're going anytime, Costco has a good deal: http://beachboardwalk.com/discounts/costco-locations.html

CoastersOnly wrote:One more question. Parking. Anybody know of great places to park nearby that are free?

This is my area of expertise!

10 minute walk:
Bay St between Laguna and Lighthouse (park on street).
Google map: http://goo.gl/SR3RYm

10 minute walk:
Park anywhere north of the intersection of Washington and Center St all the way up to Laurel. Parking is limited to 2 hours on weekdays before 8pm (although it will rarely if ever be enforced that late). Weekends have no time restrictions.
Google map: http://goo.gl/aNNj6u

5 minute walk:
*Off-season only* From the intersection of 2nd and Cliff St, take Cliff north. Street parking in this neighborhood is free before May 15 and after Sept 30 (permit required during Summer months).
Google map: http://goo.gl/YXQJik

CoastersOnly wrote:One More Pro-Tip: If you've never been on it, seriously, don't go into the Haunted House. I think the relatively recent revamp only made it worse.

I will agree with you that the ride has a lot of issues, but it's worth a ride if you've never been on it. Have you ridden it recently? They've gradually been making a lot of changes. Here are a few: better, darker lighting. New gags with more of a surprise factor. Not exactly a good thing, but they removed the ramp in the swamp area. However, they did add some new gags in that area, so I guess that makes up for it.

Postby CoastersOnly » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks so much for all that information! The parking stuff in particular is key as there's isn't really any other choices within eyesight of the boardwalk and the stuff I know of nearby is metered, so that will lead to some nice savings. We can get there from our house in just over an hour most of the time, but having to plonk for parking is the biggest hindrance. I think it's $15 or whatever and we're anything but broke, but it kind of leads to one of those "we have to drive and pay for gas and then parking and then..." kind of things. We won't mind the extra walk, so again, that information is GREATLY appreciated.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 am

CoastersOnly wrote:Thanks so much for all that information! The parking stuff in particular is key as there's isn't really any other choices within eyesight of the boardwalk and the stuff I know of nearby is metered, so that will lead to some nice savings. We can get there from our house in just over an hour most of the time, but having to plonk for parking is the biggest hindrance. I think it's $15 or whatever and we're anything but broke, but it kind of leads to one of those "we have to drive and pay for gas and then parking and then..." kind of things. We won't mind the extra walk, so again, that information is GREATLY appreciated.

For the record the main parking lot across the street from the park on Beach is $12. It's really a pretty great deal compared to a lot of theme parks that are charging $20 or more and especially when you consider SCBB doesn't charge gate admission.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!