Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

P. 131: $12 million entrance & Boardwalk improvement project
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:21 am

So now that Flying Turns is finally open, Undertow is on the clock... :lol:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:40 am

^Yes, Knoebels long nightmare haa ended, but SCBB's has just begun!

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:55 am

Now, the question will be: What will open first: Undertow or Orphan Rocker? :p
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Angry_Gumball wrote:I'll throw in my .02 on Double Shot. I've had the restraints click multiple times, more than what should be enough to keep me locked in. Those seatbelts however are extremely short, and I have to almost literally staple myself to get the belt to fit easily.

Every few years (or sometimes sooner), maintenance replaces Double Shot's belts, and they always come out a different size. Sometimes, some belts are longer than others. At one point a few years ago, they all became uniformly shorter, which is about how they are today.

I think they are getting better about cutting the belts consistent with each other, but unfortunately they are shorter now than other S&S towers.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 am

Is this a CA permit related issue again. Seemed that was what delayed SFMM, CGA, and I heard they also got in the way of Superman at SFDK... if so then CA is the worst place to build a coaster.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Blue Fire Guy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:10 pm

^ It was stated a few pages back that Maurer Soehne poorly manufactured Undertow's track, which led to the pieces not fitting together, which forced SCBB to have a local company literally bend the track so it would fit. Maurer Soehne has been making spinning coasters for over a decade now, yet they somehow messed up on this project. Undertow is also not that tall (the important part is it isn't taller than Double Shot), so size issues can't be the source of the delay.

As for what you said about California being the worst place (at least one of the worst places) to build a new coaster, I agree 100%. EVERY NorCal park (CGA, SFDK, SCBB, excluding GG) has a height limit. SFDK has a 150' limit imposed by the city of Vallejo (reason why V2 got shortened), CGA can't build over 200' in some spots due to its proximity to SJC airport, and SCBB has its height limit enforced by the California Coastal Commission on behalf of Santa Cruz's citizens. CGA also has additional limitations created by it being on top of the water table (no underground tunnels), and don't forget those lovely "prudes".

SCBB was actually going to build an S&S Space Shot (180' I believe), and because of Santa Cruz citizens complaining that it would be too tall (and the fact that the CCC had enforced a height limit), the park had S&S build a 125' tower with a Double Shot ride program in order to comply with the height limit enforced by the California Coastal Commission.

As for SoCal, the most infamous example of limitations on building coasters would have to be SWSD. SWSD has the same situation as SCBB, except with a much more anal 30' height limit enforced by the CCC on behalf of even whinier citizens, which is the reason why Manta is so low to the ground most of the time and has a trench drop. As for Journey to Atlantis, after a long and bitter legal battle a proposition was just barely passed that would raise the height limit of a small portion of the park to 160' (the opposition was understandably vehement), allowing for the ride to be built.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Blue Fire Guy wrote:^ It was stated a few pages back that Maurer Soehne poorly manufactured Undertow's track, which led to the pieces not fitting together, which forced SCBB to have a local company literally bend the track so it would fit. Maurer Soehne has been making spinning coasters for over a decade now, yet they somehow messed up on this project. Undertow is also not that tall (the important part is it isn't taller than Double Shot), so size issues can't be the source of the delay.

As for what you said about California being the worst place (at least one of the worst places) to build a new coaster, I agree 100%. EVERY NorCal park (CGA, SFDK, SCBB, excluding GG) has a height limit. SFDK has a 150' limit imposed by the city of Vallejo (reason why V2 got shortened), CGA can't build over 200' in some spots due to its proximity to SJC airport, and SCBB has its height limit enforced by the California Coastal Commission on behalf of Santa Cruz's citizens. CGA also has additional limitations created by it being on top of the water table (no underground tunnels), and don't forget those lovely "prudes".

SCBB was actually going to build an S&S Space Shot (180' I believe), and because of Santa Cruz citizens complaining that it would be too tall (and the fact that the CCC had enforced a height limit), the park had S&S build a 125' tower with a Double Shot ride program in order to comply with the height limit enforced by the California Coastal Commission.

As for SoCal, the most infamous example of limitations on building coasters would have to be SWSD. SWSD has the same situation as SCBB, except with a much more anal 30' height limit enforced by the CCC on behalf of even whinier citizens, which is the reason why Manta is so low to the ground most of the time and has a trench drop. As for Journey to Atlantis, after a long and bitter legal battle a proposition was just barely passed that would raise the height limit of a small portion of the park to 160' (the opposition was understandably vehement), allowing for the ride to be built.

On the flip side, great things come in small packages :)

But yea...neighbors, prudes, whatever you wanna call them... I can live without the lovely neighbors who like to throw a wrench in the works when things were going smoothly.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38 pm

California is the worst place to build anything. Try to put a pool in your backyard in Los Angeles, it'll bankrupt you and drive you insane. Look at KBF's Windseeker, Cedar Fair chose to send it to another park than deal with California and I don't blame them. Any time you're dealing with hills or coastline it gets exponentially worse.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:55 am

And yet, California still leads the nation in the amount of coasters.

None of those restrictions you mentioned are really unreasonable. Noise complaints when you chose to live next to a theme park is one thing, but height limits around airports and/or to not completely destroy the skyline of a neighborhood are standard issues throughout the country. Same with water table issues.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Rumor is that Undertow will open tomorrow (Saturday). Obviously no guarantees, but I trust this rumor enough that I will show up tomorrow!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!