Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

P. 162 - Six Flags Trying to Buy Cedar Fair!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Postby WolfBobs » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 pm

I wouldn't call posting signs along a queue giving bios of comic characters theming either. lol

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:41 pm

WolfBobs wrote:I wouldn't call posting signs along a queue giving bios of comic characters theming either. lol

That's my point, neither one of them are stellar in the theming dept.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 pm

I'm glad to hear the deal was turned down so we can continue to have debates about whose food is better.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Efteling & Parque de Atracciones Madrid

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby VegasBaby » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 pm

tndank wrote:I enjoy both brands and have pro and cons for both. I suspect, as consumers, we would miss the competition the most. Competition is needed to keep things moving, keep pricing in check, and give us choices.

For me, this would be my biggest gripe with the merger of the two companies. I think competition has made their respective parks better, especially in markets like Northern and Southern California. I also like the two different strategies that the companies have regarding CapEx. I love that CF is still building huge coasters like Fury, Yukon Striker, and Orion. But I also love that SF makes sure every park gets something new every year, which keeps the passholders happy and makes me excited to keep visiting year after year.

I can see a lot of negatives to the merger with the only positive being a single pass for all of the SF/CF parks. However, that combined pass would probably cost significantly more than I'm currently paying, which would then make it a negative. Thankfully, it looks like CF rebuffed the offer from SF, if it was even a serious offer in the first place.
Coaster Count: 221 Last Coaster: GhostRider
Top Ten: 1) Superman The Ride 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Shambhala 9) Lightning Rod 10) Mako

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby southpuddle » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Y’all know you can get a SF membership for $8 per month, right? Was anyone really excited about the prospect of a CF-SF combined pass?

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:20 pm

I personally was not excited about the combined pass, since I have little desire to go to any SF Parks that I've already been to, and the (presumably) lower price point would bring in more riff-raff (and crowds in general) than the current CF Platinum pass does. Though I have to say, after spending a truly great evening at KI tonight, the lower-priced CF-park-specific Gold Pass is not helping the crowd issues.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:41 pm

Superbatboy wrote:
SLCHeadache wrote:
Superbatboy wrote:Cedar Fair and theming?? :lol: :lol:

Mystic and Twisted Timbers have better theming than much of what Six Flags is putting out.

They have cute little trinkets n stuff, but let's keep it real, neither chain is better than the other when it comes to "theming". Cedar Fair does a lot of things better than Six Flags, theming isnt one of them

Knotts does themeing fairly well. Cedar Fair can do it. It's just that they don't have parks besides Knotts that really NEED themeing to thrive.

I also think that if this deal was an all cash deal, Cedar Fair would have done it at $70/share. So the saga may ultimately not be over...

Postby prozach626 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:32 am

thrillrider2000 wrote:I just don't get the complaints about ride names and themes. The name of a ride does nothing to change the enjoyment of a ride. Weather it's called Batman or flight deck, what's the difference? I am beyond myself how this could even bother someone in the least.

And as far as theming goes, how can you not like a ride that is in a themed environment? And it's not like the rides are over themed. As a matter of fact, most of the superhero themed coasters are basically just named after a superhero and painted in the same color as said superhero. They may have a few random pieces of scenery or theming elements, but it's far from being overblown. It's funny, because you never hear people complaining about an over theming issue at universal, Disney, SeaWorld, Busch, Hershey, legoland, worlds of fun, carowinds, knotts berry farms, Dollywood, silver dollar city...ect...ect. It only seems to be about six flags for some reason. I think it's because it's the "cool thing to do", and not really because you actually care.

The parks offer two similar, but different products. Some people prefer the product Cedar Fair offers over Six Flags. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't like Six Flags. There are clear differences between the two chains. At some point you have to realize you're arguing over personal preferences. You like Six Flags. Good for you.

Mike240SX wrote:the (presumably) lower price point would bring in more riff-raff (and crowds in general) than the current CF Platinum pass does.

I think it probably does bring in people with lower incomes and I have no issue with that. The affordability is a good thing for most families who don't have the extra spending cash to travel. Most of the adults I see are really well behaved.

On the other hand, I'm not trying to sound like a grandpa, but my issue with the lower cost is that it's more affordable for teens. Not only do the parents drop their kids off at the park to use it as a babysitter, but you also have other kids who can afford the passes on their own. I've experienced that the kids seem to be louder, more obnoxious, yelling and cursing across the midway, and verbally or physically fighting. Being surrounded by a ton of loud kids in a queue makes my wife and I feel more out of place. At CF parks I notice more adults our age.

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:16 am

Yeah, young teenagers was the kinda riff-raff I was referring to.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby prozach626 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:54 am

I figured as much.

I'm happy this isn't happening. More variety is better.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!