Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

P. 161: 2Q 2019 Quarterly Report (Doing well 2Q)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread

Postby LiftThrill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 am

Michigan's Adventure doesn't actually exist. It's a figment of everyone's collective imagination. (except cedar fair)
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:45 pm

coasterbill wrote:There's no perfect thread for this since this isn't really a "corporate discussion" thing but spamming every park thread would be dumb, so I figured I'd drop in quick and mention that it looks like every Cedar Fair park has been added to Queue Times except for Valleyfair and Dorney because Dorney doesn't have queues. :lol:

Queue Times - How do we know this site is accurate? I don't see any information on their site about where are they getting their wait times, how often updated? Do you know more how they work Bill?
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm

It varies from park to park. It pulls data from the park’s respective apps in real time, so basically it’s as accurate as the park’s posted wait times are.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 pm

It seemed fairly accurate. I used it to help plan my trip to CP this weekend (Can't see wait times in the app unless at the park). From what I had been watching the trends held true and it really helped me plan my time in the park this weekend. The big hitters where accurate so I knew when I needed to be in the park to minimize my wait on those rides.

Not sure when they went live on the site but I started watching wed, thurs, & Friday because my trip was Sat - Monday

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

coasterbill wrote:It varies from park to park. It pulls data from the park’s respective apps in real time, so basically it’s as accurate as the park’s posted wait times are.

Thanks
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby coasterbill » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:16 am

Cedar Fair held a conference call yesterday to discuss their disappointing Q2 results. I skimmed the transcript which you can read here. Here's what I found noteworthy...

- Net revenues were down 3% as a result of a 5% attendance drop. Somewhat offsetting the attendance decline was a 1% increase in average in-park guest per capital spending and a 4% or $2 million increase in out-of-park revenues.

- Knott's is on pace to have its best year ever, driven by record season pass sales, attendance and per capita spending.

- Kings Island has seen a drop in season pass sales and it's disappointing season offset the gains by Knott's. That said, the park is still on pace for it's second highest season pass program performance ever despite being down from last season. Basically, last season was just ridiculous.

- They believe that weather was a primary factor in the attendance drop, though that's an easy excuse and it's highly unlikely that it's as big of a factor as they claim (though I'm sure it was a factor).

- They're blaming construction delays on Railblazer for their numbers at Great America. Since the ride opened though, the park has been performing in-line with expectation so that excuse actually does hold water.

- Cost cutting measures to combat this drop include adjusting the operating calendar based on demand, investing in technology to more effectively and efficiently manage the scheduling of our 45,000 seasonal employees or by eliminating cost related to ride and attractions that have run their course and are no longer as popular with guests.

- Last Saturday at Cedar Point was one of the busiest in years. I only bring this up because I was there and yeah... god damn. :lol:

- They are going to test a 12 month installment season pass plan like Six Flags has next season

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 pm

- Cost cutting measures to combat this drop include adjusting the operating calendar based on demand, investing in technology to more effectively and efficiently manage the scheduling of our 45,000 seasonal employees or by eliminating cost related to ride and attractions that have run their course and are no longer as popular with guests.

"Effectively and efficiently manage the scheduling..." never goes well for the guest experience.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:55 am

coasterbill wrote:- They are going to test a 12 month installment season pass plan like Six Flags has next season

Really love this idea. Installments help a lot when you're buying 5 passes.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:52 am

coasterbill wrote:- They are going to test a 12 month installment season pass plan like Six Flags has next season

FINALLY!!!
That concept has kept me with every major park chain, sans disney, because I don't have to go through the hassle of renewing year after year.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:22 am

I for one can take partial blame for taking less visits to the parks as well and I will blame those on two pretty easy culprits: The weather and higher gas prices. I want to say the wife and I skipped about 4 visits (so a total of 8) to which would have been to KI and CP either due to gas being closer to $3.00 or maybe it was too rainy or too damn hot. So if many have my mindset, I can see how some attendance drops can be blamed on these. You are welcome to give me a big "F-You"

It's a changing time now, too.... many more sports activities going on with the kids.

This may or not be a reason, but in Ohio, the local news has not stopped reminding people of the terrible fatal accident at the Ohio State Fair in 2017.

But also remember the country is doing MUCH better with the Republican tax cut plan: business are paying more per hour, unemployment is dropping like a stone, and even before those wage increases take home-paychecks are up an average of 2%.... but unfortunately the gas prices have gone up, and people see that first (myself included), but those prices will be coming down soon as the US prepares to take 3rd place and eventually 2nd place in oil production.
Last edited by John Peck on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:05 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!