Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Postby Taylor Finn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:09 pm

This is gonna look pretty cool, I think! Smart move to make the most of the space and add a clear family coaster option, though the Wild Mouse and Steeplechase are clearly family geared, too.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:13 am

With the new log flume coming next year, Luna Park has announced today that the last day of operation for their current flume, Wild River, will be on Sunday, September 8th. Not surprised to see this happen, absolutely no need for multiple flumes at the park, and to be quite honest, the existing one wasn't all that great anyway.
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Copperhead Strike. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:33 am

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. Excited for a more 'permanent' looking flume. Frees up a good chunk of space in the park, though. Wonder what they'll put there. Assume it will be replaced with some flats for next season, or they wouldn't really be removing this flume.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:19 pm

RCDB is already showing a new Zamperla coaster for 2020. I have not read anything else about it yet. I'm about to do some online research.

EDIT: I found the article
https://www.amny.com/things-to-do/luna-park-contest-1.34977727

Coney Island's Luna Park wants customers to name its new attractions
By Shaye Weaver
shaye.weaver@amny.com
Updated August 26, 2019 2:17 PM

If you have a knack for naming things, you could be part of Coney Island history.

Luna Park, the seaside amusement park known for the Coney Island Cyclone and Steeplechase, has enlisted the public's help in naming three attractions planned for 2020.

Through Sunday, Sept.1, Luna Park will be taking name ideas for a new roller coaster — and the person whose name is chosen will get VIP access with 10 of their friends to Luna Park for a day.

Located next to the Thunderbolt, the coaster will be "massive," with many "thrills, twist and turns," according to lunaparknyc.com. It will be a steel coaster that gives riders a semi-circle, panoramic view of Coney Island. Luna Park does not currently have a rendering of the roller coaster.

Last week, Luna Park solicited names for its forthcoming log flume ride, which will have 12 boats (seating six riders each) that offer a semi-circle/panoramic view of Coney Island before it plunges riders down at more than 30 mph for a big splash. Two weeks ago, it took names for a new ropes course, which will be set within a circus-themed area that will allow visitors to climb and zip line.

Each contest was open for one week only.

"We are excited to offer the Coney Island community and amusement parkgoers the opportunity to name our upcoming attractions," said Alessandro Zamperla, the president of Central Amusement International Inc., which owns Luna Park. "These competitions engage the community and allow amusement fans to directly impact Luna Park’s legacy. We look forward to seeing all the submissions."

Contestants must be 18 and older to enter and be a citizen of the U.S. and submit an original idea.

VIP access to the park includes unlimited rides and food. Winners will be notified via email by Oct. 23.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:25 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!