Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

P. 100: Zootopia themed land coming to Shanghai Disneyland!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: NEWS: Disneyland Shanghai (pretty much) Announced!

Postby DBJ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 am

At least they are realizing that building the smallest Disney park in the chain wouldn't be the best idea! The only successful new Disney park built (from day one) in recent history was done by OLC. I think it's very reasonable for them to question Disney's plans at this point. They could wind up with DCA - Disney's China Adventure - and then watch the new park underpeform and have to go through an overhaul.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby ChrisFL » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 am

Saturated Market? By what standards? Theme park in China standards? Disney standards? If by either measure, I disagree.

As much as people may think it's a bad idea to build in Shanghai (and many of them legitimate), from a purely corporate standpoint...China has 1/6 of the world's population, many of whom are moving up in society. IF Disney invests properly, and builds a theme park appropriate to mainland China's tastes, then they can succeed.

I know often people point to Hong Kong as being a Chinese Disney park, but Hong Kong is still very different than mainland China in many, many ways.

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:34 pm

ChrisFL wrote:I know often people point to Hong Kong as being a Chinese Disney park, but Hong Kong is still very different than mainland China in many, many ways.

Elissa, didn't we witness this firsthand??

Natasha, the Chinese girl with us in '08, didn't she have to have a special visa just to get into Hong Kong? I remember that she couldn't go with us to Macau because her visa didn't permit it.

So that *may* be a reason why more people from the mainland haven't gone to HKDL.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:40 pm

^Correct, we also had to change guides.

It seemed to me that Hong Kong Disney was attracting locals and Australians and that's it.

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:31 pm

While I understand their concerns, I also think the management change since HKDL can also make a HUGE difference in what kind of park is built in Shanghai. I also disagree with the over saturation post as long as they can find the right mix of quality and quantity. No two Disney parks are the same, so it's fun to see how they mix up the Magic Kingdom concept each new time.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 pm

SharkTums wrote:^Correct, we also had to change guides.

It seemed to me that Hong Kong Disney was attracting locals and Australians and that's it.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort is running ads in Australia ( online media ) at the moment, I think that must be the first time ever. Most people I know who have been to HKD wish they went somewhere else.

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:41 am

I'm pretty sure Disney knows what they're doing...

G-Force, you say focus on the parks they already have, well... it seems like they're doing both if you really look at it.

We have World of Color, Little Mermaid, Cars Land, a complete DCA overhaul, Fantasyland overhaul at WDW, Star Tours 2, Tokyo's new Fantasmic, Hong Kong Disneyland's immediate expansion to name a few. I think Shanghai Disneyland will be great for both the Disney brand and the people of China. Lastly, we (attraction fans) get a great, new theme park to look forward to. Disney has always been about great quality, and I'm not saying that just because I work for them. I work for them BECAUSE of that fact. :)

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 pm

http://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/china-eye/2010_02_08/Roadworks_to_start_for_Disney_theme_park.html

Shanghai will begin building and renovating roads around the area in Pudong where a Disney theme park will be located.

Huang Rong, director of the Shanghai Construction and Transport Commission, said the construction will start this year, although he gave no specific date. Huang said the roadways will be important not only to the theme park itself, but also will be "a great help for the road network in the Pudong New Area."

The road projects are among the city's major construction plans, with a total budget of 160 billion yuan (US$23 billion), set by the government for this year. At least three main roads, as well as elevated roads, will be involved in the Disney access project: Zhoudeng Highway, Liufeng Highway and Xiupu Road.

Shanghai Daily reported there are still differences on details, such as the number and location of ramps and the width of roads, and Disney and the city will continue to talk.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=9160382

China's economic planning agency has formally approved a plan to build a Disney theme park in Shanghai, giving the city a new showcase following next year's World Expo.

The National Development and Reform Commission said in a notice Tuesday that the long-awaited park would be built, as expected, in Shanghai's eastern Pudong district.

Disney has said the initial phase of the project would include a Magic Kingdom-style park tailored to the Shanghai region, mainland China's commercial and financial hub.

Shanghai, China's biggest city, and Disney have yet to announce final details for the amusement park.

Disney has gradually expanded its presence in mainland China after opening a theme park in Hong Kong in 2005 and now has offices in Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou.

Shanghai is in the midst of a construction boom ahead of the World Expo, which will open May 1.

Some residents were long ago moved off farmland in Chuansha, a part of Pudong district near the city's main international airport, to make way for the theme park.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Shanghai Disneyland Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 pm

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/dis_shanghai-disneyland-likely-to-take-5-6-years-to-build-mayor-831855.html

It may take five to six years for U.S. entertainment giant Walt Disney Co. to complete its Shanghai Disneyland theme park, pushing the opening to 2015 at the earliest, Shanghai Mayor Han Zheng said at the National People's Congress here.

The first phase of the park itself will be located on a 1.16-sq. -kilometer tract. The entire site is 3.9 sq. kilometers, with the remaining 2 .74 sq. kilometers slated for commercial facilities and parking. The resort will be smaller than Hong Kong Disneyland, which at 1.26 sq. kilometers is currently the smallest Disneyland park.

China's National Development and Reform Commission has already formally approved the resort, and city officials are negotiating with Disney over how it will be operated. There is some concern that once Shanghai Disneyland opens, those on the Chinese mainland will go there, reducing patronage at the Hong Kong park. However, Han said, "The two cities are brothers and will work together."

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!