Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

P. 954 - Wahoo Wave Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Postby DarienPoint » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:25 am

Pretty sure a few pages back it was stated that Six Flags was going to see how the park does before deciding if they're gonna put money into this park.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:25 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:^ who is "they"?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/THEY.

Not sure why They would be talking about Six Flags, though. Not really on brand for them.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby SbSteveZ » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Took a couple laps around Predator this weekend, and due to the fact that I tend to let friends of mine pick where they want to sit on Coasters, I ended up riding in the back both during yesterday’s nice weather and tonight’s rainy weather.

Shockingly, I found both rides incredibly amusing and fun. To the point where I didn’t feel like the roughness was bad, more or less I thought it made the ride a fun time,

This being compared to front seat rides attempting the “Mean Streak Method” was completely night and day. I thought this coaster was on its way out but honestly after the rides I had on it this weekend, it may just still have some life left in it!
Last Coaster: Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON

Postby DarienPoint » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 pm

^ It HAULS in the rain, it's so fun! Rode it today when it was raining a good amount before the downpour, actually got airtime after the turn around back to the station.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Postby Haymaker » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm

The email said the re-brand includes new paint and re-theming so I would suspect itll look quite different. Wonder if that means theyll paint Big Kahuna because its pretty faded.

Take this for what its worth but a DL lifeguard said on IG that its going between Big Kahuna and the wave pool.
Screenshot_20190904-111234_Outlook.jpg

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 pm

I had a good time at the park this past week (my first visit in several years), and here are some of my quick thoughts & a few pics:

-- Ride of Steel remains one of my favorite coasters. I thought it was underrated when I rode it years ago and still feel the same. Even with the long straightaway and helix-heavy layout, I'm just laughing and enjoying the whole ride through. I had more pure fun on this than on other noteworthy coasters like Fury and Phantom's Revenge, and that's high praise for Ride of Steel rather than a knock on those also-great rides. The front seat is particularly excellent. Awesome airtime, speed, and first drop, just the right amount of intensity, and a better location over water than SFA's version. Worth a visit on its own!

-- Predator was not good, although other riders seemed to be smiling and having jostling fun. I appreciated the smooth turnaround with new wood, but most of the drops were of the familiar Dinn variety -- it's like shuffling down a rockslide and praying that each pullout doesn't jackhammer too badly. I've been on worse and there was some airtime, but it's not far from that "just thankful to survive" category. It is a good-looking coaster near the water, though. I'd love to see an RMC treatment on the scale of Twisted Cyclone someday.

-- Tantrum was new to me. While it's very smooth, I was thoroughly nauseated! I had the big barf face from RCT, which surprised me because I'm still OK with other moderate loopers like Sky Rocket. To be fair to Tantrum, my nausea tolerance has been rapidly receding. I've cut out spinning and most flat rides, and sometimes inversions now get to me, too. The drop's exciting, and the ride's a quick and perfectly smooth blur, but holy guacamole I was close to throwing up. This makes me antsy about riding Steel Curtain soon, but I'll still give it a go.

-- I ate at Beaver Brothers Cafe and recommend it. My burger had a small patty, but it tasted flame-broiled and quite good. The restaurant has interesting decor, refreshing AC, beer, a reasonably-priced menu, spaciousness, and the restrooms are low-traffic and clean, making this a solid option when you need a break in the park.

-- Ride ops were friendly and generally pleasant, and the park looked colorful & vibrant enough. Most coasters ran one train, which often ballooned station waits to 30 minutes, but I'm not expecting Cedar Point ops and was just glad that everything was open.

-- The pellet dispenser for fish and duck feeding gave me ONE pellet per quarter. I apologized to the fish and ducks for the letdown.

-- I wasn't sure that I would renew my season pass at the park, but once there I was talking myself into it. I had questions, and while the guy at the season pass center wasn't a jerk, he wasn't helpful and I left without renewing for now. I asked about the membership tiers and his answers were a lot of, "oh, yeah, um, basically like, okay, so it depends, but you're good."

Huh? I don't have a season pass for next year and I see there's a sale going on (I'm making it very easy for him). It says here that I'd also get a golden ticket that can be used like a bring a friend on most days next year...

"Oh, it's not most days. It's just, like, bring a friend sometimes, that's all."

What are the restrictions?

"Uh, you don't have to do anything for it, you'll just get it, so you're good."

Huh?

I ended up educating myself from an info sheet and wall signs in the pass center while the guy sat there. He didn't engage me at all, ask me about what I'm looking for or how often I visit, explain any perks I might enjoy, etc. I knew I wasn't going to be talked into Diamond Elite, but when I walk in willing to give more money to Six Flags then and there, someone with communication skills should be eager to reel me in. I couldn't get clear answers about whether some perks would kick in that same day, on my next visit, or not until next season, and I left confused and without a renewal.

-- The star flyer looked good, and I like its location because I've felt that the far bend around the park's central lake looked tacky with go-karts, batting cages, and little else. Those things are alright for arcade/laser tag centers, but the star flyer is a more legit and welcome attraction to that edge of the park.

-- I love the slingshot ride, but I didn't feel like forking over the $40 while feeling dizzy post-Tantrum. It's my favorite slingshot model, and I highly recommend it if you're new to the park or slingshot rides.

-- I only took a couple of pics, mostly of my favorite nook in the park on the path next to Predator. This path, along with the path at Cedar Point between Magnum and the beach, are two places where I'd set up camp and live if I could:
20190828_172309.jpg
My favorite park area.
20190828_172316.jpg
Beautiful and quiet, even with Predator rumbling next door.
20190828_172433.jpg
Add a hammock and I'd stay all summer.
20190828_170150.jpg
You don't expect to find such a tranquil spot in the back of the park.
20190828_170130.jpg
Ride of Steel & Predator approaching evening.
20190828_164702.jpg
Sun shining around the central little lake (among many small lakes & ponds) throughout the park.

Postby Haymaker » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:15 am

Samuel wrote:-- I wasn't sure that I would renew my season pass at the park, but once there I was talking myself into it. I had questions, and while the guy at the season pass center wasn't a jerk, he wasn't helpful and I left without renewing for now. I asked about the membership tiers and his answers were a lot of, "oh, yeah, um, basically like, okay, so it depends, but you're good."

Huh? I don't have a season pass for next year and I see there's a sale going on (I'm making it very easy for him). It says here that I'd also get a golden ticket that can be used like a bring a friend on most days next year...

"Oh, it's not most days. It's just, like, bring a friend sometimes, that's all."

What are the restrictions?

"Uh, you don't have to do anything for it, you'll just get it, so you're good."

Huh?

I ended up educating myself from an info sheet and wall signs in the pass center while the guy sat there. He didn't engage me at all, ask me about what I'm looking for or how often I visit, explain any perks I might enjoy, etc. I knew I wasn't going to be talked into Diamond Elite, but when I walk in willing to give more money to Six Flags then and there, someone with communication skills should be eager to reel me in. I couldn't get clear answers about whether some perks would kick in that same day, on my next visit, or not until next season, and I left confused and without a renewal.

Sounds like the same guy when I went to process my upgrade and was told that nothing kicks in until the 29th even though I was already paying for it.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby SbSteveZ » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:03 pm

^ not so sold on this only being a Darien Lake issue. The other 3 Six Flags parks I’ve visited have all struggled with the membership stuff this season. Darien Lake seems to have made some form of improvement since May, but it really isn’t competent yet in handling memberships.

Not sure if it’s a lack of training, lack of training retention or both; but it’s a shame that you can learn more about these benefits from a brochure than the people that have been hired to help make the process easier.

The ONLY reason I bought the pass in park was because last year Darien Lake wasn’t on the online system until after the season was kicked off. Any other memberships I bought after my own I got online. It’s just easier and a lot less confusing / you don’t have to worry about if you’ll get a supervisor who sort of knows the deal over a new employee who had no clue what “diamond elite” means over “diamond” or “platinum”
Last Coaster: Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby LegendLover » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:19 am

I feel like the rebranding of the water park to Hurricane Harbor is a sign that we are about to see this park go full "Six Flags." I'm predicting a Looney Tunes kids area for 2020 and then a DC themed Giant Discovery in 2021 in between Tantrum and Mind Eraser. I also predict that Mind Eraser will get new trains, a repaint, and a new name. I haven't visited Six Flags Darien Lake since it was being managed by Herschend, and my visit was lackluster back then. The park really did just seem stagnant at the time. I'm so glad that Six Flags bought it back. At least for the time being, that guarantees a new ride every year and I love that.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:24 am

Once again, Six Flags is the leased operator for the park. They own nothing.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!