Went to Fantasy Island last night for their haunt. (photos compliments of a buddy of mine I went with) -- PS: the only reason he went was because I had a bring a friend free pass and he conveniently crosses Grand Island after work. The only reason I went is because I somehow got roped into a 2019 season pass. WTF was I thinking?
One thing that really impressed me was that they had one of the longest haunted houses I've ever seen. MIDWAY MAYHEM. I think it was even longer than Lake Compounce's 45 minute attraction. Or something.
Next up we had an attraction called "what's in the box"... we asked the employee outside the first haunted house what was in the box and she had no clue. This made me even more excited as nobody knew. Sorry, NO SPOILERS. you have to see for yourself!
Lastly they themed their canoes (note the location on the website screenshot) to be super scary. Seriously, don't touch the water.
One of the couple of scare zones (the rest are not pictured)
To Fantasy Island's credit:
- Silver Comet is still a great ride. Yes the train was literally falling apart and chunks of it were missing, it was a ton of fun in both the front and back.
- While extremely clunky, we had a great ride on the spinning mouse (2 people only sat to one side) holy crap did we get dizzy.
- The first / largest house was actually on par with Jungle Apocalypse at Darien Lake. (No, really) -- They both had the same amount of actors, too. And unlike Darien Lake, they were actually acting and trying.
- "the Awakening" outdoor show, while only seen from a distance, the choreography didn't seem that bad. I caught glimpses from the Silver Comet station and on the ride.
- we missed out on the 4d upcharge thing, and some of the shows.
- Freddie Kruger was a little cold in the one scarezone so they let him wear Nike windbreaker pants
- While we didn't ride, I applaud the enclosed bumper cars / road rage cage. We saw fog spewing from the entranceway.
- I was wearing my Wicked Cyclone hoodie and the op at Crazy Mouse was telling me about his ride on Steel Vengeance but unfortunately it was his only RMC. (is that you RJR19?)
- Mind Warp (?) was actually a really fun ride (despite the loud scary noises it makes and the trainee who released the restraints instead of hitting START.) I thought we were going to die for a brief moment. Honestly it was really good and seeing the comet upside down was neat. If it was any longer I would have puked, however. I didn't feel well the rest of the night, but maybe it was the radioactive canoes talking.
Well I think that's it.