Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

P. 954 - Wahoo Wave Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby alilstronger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 am

^ When I went to the park 2 summers ago the landscaping was very well maintained.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 am

alilstronger wrote:^ When I went to the park 2 summers ago the landscaping was very well maintained.

I can agree that Darien Lake's landscaping was very well maintained when I had visited last August for the very first time. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby rjr19 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Take a look at it this year, old faded mulch, scattered all over the ground, not raked back into the gardens, and they don’t even plant the flowers. They literally took the pot and buried the plastic pot the flowers was in into the ground, lazy and bad-looking.
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

Postby Haymaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 pm

rjr19 wrote:Take a look at it this year, old faded mulch, scattered all over the ground, not raked back into the gardens, and they don’t even plant the flowers. They literally took the pot and buried the plastic pot the flowers was in into the ground, lazy and bad-looking.

That usually improves as the season goes on

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:14 am

I’m at the park today, Ride of Steel is listed as “opening late” but a manager said it probably won’t open at all. Guess I’ll only need like 1.5 hours here today instead of 3 hahaha.

Postby DarienPoint » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:25 am

dnn2031 wrote:A tourbillon to upgrade Twister (which has had age issues with its water tanks/bladders) might make sense. That or replacing one of the other oldies like Silver Bullet, Haymaker, or Lasso whose hydraulics have been nearing UFO levels of troublesome. Grizz, Big K, and Hooks are also pretty terminal. I don't know how much lifespan Rolling Thunder has for that matter. It's something of an engineering design turd and has had cracking issues year after year (including at present). Or they could dust off the idea of RMCing Pred which was surveyed a few years back but CNL wasn't in a mood to drop capital cash with the place for sale.

I feel like the Haymaker is doing well, and it's a classic, it just needs TLC. A new gen. Enterprise or a Zamperla Endeavor would be a cool replacement for Silver Bullet, I wouldn't complain.

I feel like there's enough area behind the black gates next to Ride Of Steel for a DC Comics area, which would be cool if they did that in the near future. Rides like a Tourbillon, Tilt a Whirl, and a Giant Discovery would be awesome there, even a Free Fly.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

Postby rjr19 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Hilltopper39 wrote:I’m at the park today, Ride of Steel is listed as “opening late” but a manager said it probably won’t open at all. Guess I’ll only need like 1.5 hours here today instead of 3 hahaha.

My guess for ToS being closed is the rain. They don’t run it at all in rain anymore. I believe it has something to do with the new train because this policy started when the new train was purchased.

DarienPoint wrote:
dnn2031 wrote:A tourbillon to upgrade Twister (which has had age issues with its water tanks/bladders) might make sense. That or replacing one of the other oldies like Silver Bullet, Haymaker, or Lasso whose hydraulics have been nearing UFO levels of troublesome. Grizz, Big K, and Hooks are also pretty terminal. I don't know how much lifespan Rolling Thunder has for that matter. It's something of an engineering design turd and has had cracking issues year after year (including at present). Or they could dust off the idea of RMCing Pred which was surveyed a few years back but CNL wasn't in a mood to drop capital cash with the place for sale.

I feel like the Haymaker is doing well, and it's a classic, it just needs TLC. A new gen. Enterprise or a Zamperla Endeavor would be a cool replacement for Silver Bullet, I wouldn't complain.

I feel like there's enough area behind the black gates next to Ride Of Steel for a DC Comics area, which would be cool if they did that in the near future. Rides like a Tourbillon, Tilt a Whirl, and a Giant Discovery would be awesome there, even a Free Fly.

Another ride that needs work/replacement would be Sleighride. I don’t know if anyone else has seen it this year, but it truly looks TERRIBLE. The roof is gone, all the decorations on the top of the ride (viewed from outside) is gone, rust is showing all over the place, and I was informed that most of the lights on it don’t work all of a sudden. It is a classic, but it is really showing its age and probably needs to be replaced all together by a newer model.
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

Postby Haymaker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:16 pm

The Sleighride roof blew off the night before opening day

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby SbSteveZ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Haymaker wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:The Walden/Central area is a bit further out than where I am. Plus I don’t mind driving straight down Walden and turning onto the 77. Past Pavement there’s what, 3 traffic signals? Including the one for the 77 I believe. From time to time I may also take Broadway all the way down, it just depends on where I’m coming from. The Walden/Central area is typically 5-10 minutes from my place as it is so 20 minutes from there isn’t all that much faster - and I live off of Walden.

Make a right at Wende Correctional. Follow that and it turns into Sumner and goes to 77 right next to the entrance. Never has any traffic.

I’ll have to try that next time I head over that way, I Never thought of that as an option :)
Last Coaster: Thunderbolt @ Kennywood
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:41 am

I'm finding it hard to believe the landscaping or painting would be that poor.

Even in the PARC days (aka least operational budget) landscaping and painting were taken care of.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!