Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

P. 954 - Wahoo Wave Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Janusz » Mon May 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Advantages of the six flags takeover would be that the park will have access to the engineers and programmers of SF which might bring an updated version of the old computer system on ROS, instead of Intamins standard shitty program.

@thrillrider

Parent swaps are pretty easy, one parent waits in the queue as normal while the other waits in the exit; this works best if you both have cell phones and communicate when you're 2nd in line so the flow of traffic isn't slowed for more than a couple cycles. You can then tell the attendants and even inform the guests behind you in line so everyone is aware. The parent in line rides alone or with a child tall enough, then the other parent rides. If you only have one child who wants to ride, they can ride with both parents.

Just talk to the attendants and they'll hook you up, I'd suggest riding anywhere except row 1 since people will get pissed if you do. Attendants don't mind but I have had an incident where a confrontational guest had to be removed from line after the parents swapping didn't inform them. Just trying to save you from dealing with stupid people. Have fun!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Mon May 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Janusz wrote:Advantages of the six flags takeover would be that the park will have access to the engineers and programmers of SF which might bring an updated version of the old computer system on ROS, instead of Intamins standard shitty program.

@thrillrider

Parent swaps are pretty easy, one parent waits in the queue as normal while the other waits in the exit; this works best if you both have cell phones and communicate when you're 2nd in line so the flow of traffic isn't slowed for more than a couple cycles. You can then tell the attendants and even inform the guests behind you in line so everyone is aware. The parent in line rides alone or with a child tall enough, then the other parent rides. If you only have one child who wants to ride, they can ride with both parents.

Just talk to the attendants and they'll hook you up, I'd suggest riding anywhere except row 1 since people will get pissed if you do. Attendants don't mind but I have had an incident where a confrontational guest had to be removed from line after the parents swapping didn't inform them. Just trying to save you from dealing with stupid people. Have fun!

To be fair ROS was opened in 1999. Computer tech has advanced massively since. Also I hope SF brings back two trains to everything that can support two and gets new trains for Mind Eraser along with a rebrand (Riddler would be fine IMO).
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby rjr19 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Mind Eraser needs new trains so badly. I honestly don’t think I have ever seen such a dilapidated train in my life.

Then there’s Ride of Steel. That thing also NEEDS a second train. Saturday, because of Post Malone, it was likely over 3 hours of a wait for it, because of one train running. It is absolutely ridiculous to have to wait multiple hours for a ride, simply because management is too cheap to run the ride like how it is supposed to run.
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Janusz » Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 pm

^^ They couldn't use the old system with the new train since Intamin had made some adjustments to the onboard systems. It wouldn't be hard to fix, just SF owned the code that was used so they couldn't change it without getting into property issues. They opted for the standard Intamin restraint monitoring system because of a lack of resources and to essentially place any liability as a result of software failure with the new train on Intamin.

It still has the prox. sensors in the same place as when it was built so don't expect changes in flag positions or anything of the sorts. I just wish they were able to install frequency drives for the kick wheels like maintenance wanted to... This would make parking the train more reliable and reduce downtime for something that is nearly 100% preventable with the right equipment.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Tue May 29, 2018 9:16 am

rjr19 wrote:Mind Eraser needs new trains so badly. I honestly don’t think I have ever seen such a dilapidated train in my life.

Then there’s Ride of Steel. That thing also NEEDS a second train. Saturday, because of Post Malone, it was likely over 3 hours of a wait for it, because of one train running. It is absolutely ridiculous to have to wait multiple hours for a ride, simply because management is too cheap to run the ride like how it is supposed to run.

It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster. This is strictly personal choice by parks. Now if they had both trains running and one was damaged then yes it would cost to get it fixed. Some parks keep the second trains for spare parts. This is what I have been told talking to some maintenance at Six Flags America and Hersheypark. Some parks just do not want to deal with the hassle of loading another train.

They used to run two trains on their coasters. I know when I was there with TPR back in 2010 they were running two on mostly everything but the boomerang of course. Even during the ERT time on Ride of Steel they were running two from what I remember.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue May 29, 2018 9:25 am

alilstronger wrote:It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster.

Well, that's not necessarily true. If the park has two trains and runs one of them, they'll save money by being able to use parts from their spare they already paid for, and not paying to order new parts.

Also, they're using power every time they run the lift motor, that power costs money. If they're only running one train they're running that lift less often, therefore saving money.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby y2lukin » Tue May 29, 2018 1:37 pm

boldikus wrote:
alilstronger wrote:It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster.

Well, that's not necessarily true. If the park has two trains and runs one of them, they'll save money by being able to use parts from their spare they already paid for, and not paying to order new parts.

Also, they're using power every time they run the lift motor, that power costs money. If they're only running one train they're running that lift less often, therefore saving money.

I also believe maybe the biggest factor is they actually want the lineup to take a long time. The longer people are in the park, the more tempting to spend money. With a smaller park with fewer coasters such as DL, they don't want you to be finished in a couple of hours and leave. My thoughts anyway.

Postby rjr19 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Just curious, I don’t know much about Intamin’s computer systems. Can Ride of Steel’s current computer system run two trains or is the system built around one train?

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby dnn2031 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 pm

alilstronger wrote:It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster. This is strictly personal choice by parks.

It absolutely does cost more. You've just doubled NDT costs, the amount of labor needed to inspect/rehab those trains, all of the parts/materials that are replaced during refurbishment. It's buckets full of nuts, bolts, bearings, lock washers, tab washers, etc. that get replaced annually, some of them $30+ each you only get from the OEM.

Postby rjr19 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Also, do you think Six Flags would purchase another RoS train, considering the age gap there would be between the two trains? There would be a 3 year gap between the ages of them.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!