Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby rjr19 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 am

Darien’s Mind Eraser is pretty bad, it’s rough and shaky, but if you use the SLC trick of holding your head firmly against one side of the restraint, it isn’t too bad. However, if the wait is more than 15 minutes, just don’t bother going on it, it isn’t worth it.
Darien Lake is my home park... :?r

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby DarienPoint » Fri May 11, 2018 8:12 am

^ I really hope in the upcoming years they will actually think about that coaster and give it a repaint and get better trains on it. Honestly DL needs to get a LOT of things repainted, which is literally so obvious around the park. Heck, even Rolling Thunder's railing in the queue needs repainting!

They need to take an off year and work on overall park improvements, repainting, fixing rotten wood, and possibly adding new trains to coasters that need it (*cough* ALL OF THEM).
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby jconsolmagno » Fri May 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Let's hope more SLCs go through what Morey's just did, which really was a different experience. I do think Darien's wasn't as bad as the worst I rode, which is CW's. Couldn't wait to get off of it.

Michigan's Adventure wasn't bad either.

Can't remember what others ones I got on.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Johnlloyd » Fri May 11, 2018 6:12 pm

jconsolmagno wrote:Let's hope more SLCs go through what Morey's just did, which really was a different experience. I do think Darien's wasn't as bad as the worst I rode, which is CW's. Couldn't wait to get off of it.

I agree with you on this. I had made my first visit to Darien Lake and the other two Western New York amusement parks last August and I found Mind Eraser to be more enjoyable than Flight Deck at my home park, Canada's Wonderland. Keep in mind though that the Mind Eraser at Darien Lake is slightly newer by two years (1997) than Flight Deck (1995) at Canada's Wonderland, so the design of the coasters could have possibly changed slightly to provided a smoother ride within that time. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Postby rjr19 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:19 am

Anyone at the park today? I’m going later and I was wondering what rides are closed.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby jconsolmagno » Sat May 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Johnlloyd wrote:
jconsolmagno wrote:Let's hope more SLCs go through what Morey's just did, which really was a different experience. I do think Darien's wasn't as bad as the worst I rode, which is CW's. Couldn't wait to get off of it.

I agree with you on this. I had made my first visit to Darien Lake and the other two Western New York amusement parks last August and I found Mind Eraser to be more enjoyable than Flight Deck at my home park, Canada's Wonderland. Keep in mind though that the Mind Eraser at Darien Lake is slightly newer by two years (1997) than Flight Deck (1995) at Canada's Wonderland, so the design of the coasters could have possibly changed slightly to provided a smoother ride within that time. :)

Probably likely that CW's has been run a lot harder than DL's. Factoring in two trains, longer operating schedule... etc. Flight Deck may have given twice as many rides in the same period.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Johnlloyd » Sat May 12, 2018 3:20 pm

jconsolmagno wrote:
Johnlloyd wrote:

Probably likely that CW's has been run a lot harder than DL's. Factoring in two trains, longer operating schedule... etc. Flight Deck may have given twice as many rides in the same period.

That is quite possible as well. I also found it interesting how Mind Eraser's lift hill was quieter than Flight Deck's lift hill, which was nice. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby DarienPoint » Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 pm

On Darien Lake's insta, they posted more updates of Tantrum's station, and MAN does it look cool! :Pr Take a look:
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

Postby rjr19 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:29 pm

I figured I’d do a mini trip report from my visit to the park today. Closed rides included Predator (which is getting new wood put on it in various spots), Pirate, Twister, and for the first half of the day, Ride of Steel. RoS was having restraint issues, but they got it open by around 5:30 today.

Tantrum is looking good, almost finished, photos below. They are definitely trying to revamp that area and it looks pretty good!

Also, many more food stands were open this time, compared to opening day.

Now to the pictures...
EC674342-43D7-4545-8328-AFE7392E1035.jpeg
The gathering at RoS when it was testing, getting ready to open
0A34972F-6DF0-41C9-BAE6-D47D233C0630.jpeg
Giant Wheel, with 4 cars missing on it this year, found that interesting. Still hoping for nice LED lights on this thing someday.
490CEC31-EBCA-437D-B989-3D256E8EA0DA.jpeg
Tantrum’s track is complete! Cars have arrived, in shrink wrap, but I didn’t get a photo of them.
24AE1637-56C6-47B1-B878-303607B2AF9A.jpeg
The freshly-painted former TR queue looks really nice!
FF61FBB7-D7C1-4896-8500-1D4D1DCBEC6C.jpeg
Also, I love the colorful new graphics!
F4306C52-1C37-4621-8892-5A6F67D5690F.jpeg
It appears that Tantrum will have an on-ride photo!
921970AE-C314-46DB-A58F-27975A399BCD.jpeg
The Potato Works food stand next to Tantrum also got a nice touch up!
D1AE47E5-E189-4023-BCF7-A2872E1A4545.jpeg
Sleighride doesn’t have a roof now, don’t know what that is all about.
56878D68-CF2E-447F-9BF8-C8FEFE2B7D2C.jpeg
Viper is always a good way to finish the day off! See ya Memorial Day weekend for Tantrum, DL!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Haymaker » Sat May 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Ive seen Sleighride roofless in early season before, maybe its just something they do later all the time.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!