Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 17 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby TheAmericanKnight » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm

pryonisys wrote:I just think most people hate change and are looking for excuses to complain.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ride of steel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 pm

If they put this thing next to the lake near the far side of TR, it could have some nice views. Also a light package would be nice, but lights are not Darien's thing :|

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Sk610 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:04 am

Not sure if anyone saw this or not, but on the parks Instagram page someone asked for Tantrum construction pictures. The response from DL was as soon as construction begins, we will post some.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SbSteveZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:02 am

I can't share it on here, but if you check the Darien Lake facebook page (and I'd assume eventually Twitter and Instagram as well), they have a short time lapse video of the early stages of Tantrum's construction progress. By the looks of it they have a handful of footers ready to go but there hasn't been any vertical construction as of when the video was created. It is nice to see that there is a time lapse being taken though!
Last Coaster: Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point
100TH COASTER: Steel Force @ Dorney Park
RIDE ON!

Postby ride of steel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:09 am

Welp I got my first wish, now for the lighting.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby anonymouscactus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 am

Time lapse of some dirt being moved. Made me laugh how little is done. Oh well, in due time I suppose. I can see why they haven't posted anything... though the finished time lapse should be neat.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pryonisys » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Wohoo, look at that dirt move.
Any progress working on it is good, but I honestly don't think it's going to take all that long to put the coaster together once they actually start building it, it's not like it's a hyper coaster or anything.
(Disclaimer: I say all this with no working knowledge of how difficult it is to put together a real roller coaster)

Postby ride of steel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Well at least we know we're getting something!

It was probably just a way to update us.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SaraAB87 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 pm

rjr19 wrote:I still can’t quite grasp why so many people are so mad about TR’s removal. It wasn’t even that good of a log flume. From my experiences of riding it, you barely even got wet in it, I go to DL many times each year, and I really haven’t ever been super excited about riding TR, in fact, I only rode it once this year, all the complaining just hasn’t made sense to me!

I definitely get the nostalgia factor as I have nostalgia for many things, but there is a lifespan to any ride and anything for that matter, and well, both of the flumes that have recently been removed from the area were very very old and were probably way past their lifespan. You would have thought it was the end of the world when Fantasy island removed its flume. Its not always possible or cost effective to refurbish an old ride when you can spend the money on a new ride that would draw crowds. I don't know why people don't want new rides, you can't just randomly build a coaster, you have to put it somewhere so there is a tradeoff but I think trading an outdated flume for a new coaster is a pretty good tradeoff. Even if you were a season pass holder and a really dedicated park goer... wouldn't you want new rides? New rides also increase attendance and show the willingness to spend on the park.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Sk610 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Sara, I think we all agree that new rides are what everyone wants. My only gripe with removing TR is that the park did not have to remove TR in order to put Tantrum in. The park has a decent amount of unused land for ride expansion without removing anything. This includes coaster expansion as well as flat ride expansion.

Now if TR was no longer operational or the repairs too costly, that is a very different story. I would like to see the park add to their overall ride collection as opposed to just swapping one ride for another.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!