Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1052 - A night at Christmas Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterAuditor » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Excellent trip report Chuck! Sorry it took almost 2 weeks for anyone to respond to it. I really want to check out Hallowscream at BGW to compare it to KDs Haunt.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 pm

I missed this TR, somehow. How-O-Scream looks fantastic. How are the coaster lines during the events? Do they still sell quick queue?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:02 am

I've haven't written anything here yet on BGW's or KD's haunts mostly on the basis of "if you don't have anything good to say..." but I'm not sure how much is me. I do think both parks have scaled the events back one notch -- they realize the crowds are large enough -- or are spending more on sets and escape rooms, and more issues with staffing. But also haunted houses are very hard to make a big improvement to, while there is a lot of random variation they tend to stay the same on average. Like previous years, KD's actors are slightly better and BG's sets are better, although the difference is getting smaller. I have a theory that the biggest problem with sending too many people through and the actors knowing they're a bit understaffed is it changes what they do, they spread themselves thin. Also I went through Lockdown at KD once by myself, probably 4 times an actor saw me and went around the corner to scare the person behind me, but there wasn't anyone there! I did still really enjoy the parks and the scare zones (although perhaps my favorite of all, Primevil @KD, is gone) but the houses themselves just seemed to pale compared to previous years.

I went through BGW's new house Frostbite on the first weekend and really liked the huge sets but the actors were a bit sparse and still learning to work it. Reports on parkfans is that is has gotten much better, but the line this last Sunday was over an hour, and coaster lines were reasonable so I skipped houses this last time.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 am

^Frostbite has improved since the beginning of Howl-o-Scream, but I agree that they've scaled back the event (shows are still pretty good).

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:37 am

prozach626 wrote:How are the coaster lines during the events?

I have a report on the way, but it varies as the day goes on. For the for few hours of the day basically everything is a short wait and you can easily ride every coaster in a few hours but later in the day the lines get nuts. Alpengeist actually filled it's queue when we were there and it was about a 2 hour wait. Lines are the worst right before the houses open, but stay bad until around 90 minutes before close when everyone magically disappears (seriously, it was insane) and every single ride (and even a lot of houses) are walk-ons.

You can get Quick Queue but they bundle it with houses (unless you want the crappy single use punch card that's not good on any of the coasters you want it to be good on). Howl-O-Scream Quick Queue Unlimited Plus is the only way to skip lines on Loch Ness Monster, Tempesto, InvadR and Mach Tower (wtf?) but it's single use only for those 4 and it starts at $100 a person. It also includes early access to Frostbite, but if you don't care about the houses then that's hardly a perk.

You may be able to buy a one-time use Quick Queue for a specific ride (you can for houses, and we did) but I don't know and those generally aren't available on the website.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby CPmillenia94 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 am

^Doesnt help when the ops at alpengeist are getting >1minute dispaches..

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 am

Yeah, their dispatch times were pretty miserable. :lol:

According to the screen they had in the station they were averaging like 150 seconds. I'm not dorky enough to pay attention normally, but the screen is in full view of everyone and turns red every time they miss their target so it's hard to miss.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby jonskinny12 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 am

coasterbill wrote:Yeah, their dispatch times were pretty miserable. :lol:

According to the screen they had in the station they were averaging like 150 seconds. I'm not dorky enough to pay attention normally, but the screen is in full view of everyone and turns red every time they miss their target so it's hard to miss.

150 second average dispatch times for a B&M invert? That's pretty sad. I haven't been to BGW in close to 20 years but I'm under the impression that they typically have pretty good operations there. Was that an anomaly or are they always bad?

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 pm

jonskinny12 wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Yeah, their dispatch times were pretty miserable. :lol:

150 second average dispatch times for a B&M invert? That's pretty sad. I haven't been to BGW in close to 20 years but I'm under the impression that they typically have pretty good operations there. Was that an anomaly or are they always bad?

When I went a few seasons ago the operations on Alpengeist were really slow, but the ops on all the other rides were great.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
167 coasters

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby komasixx » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 am

I'm sorry if it's already been discussed, but can anyone tell me what the heck is going on with Verbotlen this season? The first 2 near miss fly-throughs are gone, so the two lights that lit up the red firey eyes are still there, the sound fx are missing in some places and sound god awful.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!