Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 339: Splash Mountain Officially Being Rethemed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby tinaalsgirl » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:13 pm

The specific re-theme I saw laid out by a cast member suggests just re-theming SM at Disneyland and leaving the original at WDW. The reasoning is that at Disneyland, it would be very easy to expand a PatF theme of the bayou/New Orleans because it can connect to the already-existing New Orleans Square. Whereas MK doesn't have that, so just keep the original. Plus, it seems WDW has become the "keep the original" when it comes to re-themes over the years; Tom Sawyer Island, Swiss Family Treehouse, and Tower of Terror have all kept their original overlays at WDW, while they've received new ones at DLR.

And the re-theme idea I read/saw for re-doing Splash Mountain was AMAZING. It would fit in PERFECTLY and not take too much money/effort to transition into.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Haymaker wrote:Not to mention the short sightedness of the petition to begin with. WDW has the utilidors to maintain thematic integrity. New Orleans/Tiana dont fit into Frontierland.

I mean with that argument neither does Song Of The South. Frontierland is themed to be the wild west. Song Of The South is, you know...the south.

tinaalsgirl wrote:And the re-theme idea I read/saw for re-doing Splash Mountain was AMAZING. It would fit in PERFECTLY and not take too much money/effort to transition into.

I'm sure it's an easy transition as all they'd have to worry about it changing out the animatronics or even just the outward appearance of most of the animatronics. I sure do hope we get a million-dollar Frog to replace the million-dollar Brer Rabbit, though.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:21 am

The whole point of calling it and theming it "Splash Mountain" was to incorporate the animated characters on their own without the baggage of the film. If I'm reading correctly, a big sticking point with supporters of the petition is the dialect used by the character voices during the ride, which I don't disagree with.

While I adore The Princess and the Frog, that theme doesn't make sense in Magic Kingdom's Frontierland. But, to be fair, neither does Splash Mountain's current theme, so...

Like others have said, Disneyland can get away with it because New Orleans Square is in very close proximity to Critter Country. Though, it would require a pretty big reconstruction of the entrance, exit, and queue to align with New Orleans Square. Or, perhaps they could use it as an excuse for just a blanket re-do of Critter Country into something else.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Follow me on Instagram for perfectly adequate theme park photos!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Haymaker » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:34 am

KBrylczyk wrote:
Haymaker wrote:Not to mention the short sightedness of the petition to begin with. WDW has the utilidors to maintain thematic integrity. New Orleans/Tiana dont fit into Frontierland.

I mean with that argument neither does Song Of The South. Frontierland is themed to be the wild west. Song Of The South is, you know...the south.

True, didnt think of that lol. But it does fit a little more closely than N.O. That said they are putting a Tiana restaurant at the new DVC lodge instead of French Quarter or Riverside, which would make more sense.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby CenturyFlyer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:39 am

Uh... this is kind of silly. I mean, there isn't a single human in the ride, so what do they think a new theme would do? I understand that some of a dialect could be considered offensive (though I've not once thought about that), but that should be a simple fix. A comprehensive re-theme with Princess and the Frog animatronics would cost lots of $$$.
There is only one true Blue Streak!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:08 pm

Again, the news is trying to invent news so that they can report on the news that they made. I've seen headlines like "Splash Mountain Controversy" and "Disney Facing Backlash" but the headlines should be "Random dude on Twitter named Fred Tweets that they should re-theme Splash Mountain" and "Online Petition with a Few Hundred Signatures wants there to be a Princess and the Frog themed boat ride".

This is not a news story. This is only being shared because they can get a lot of engagements and comments because they want thousands of people to believe that half of the country is offended by a boat ride with a cartoon bear just because one person Tweeted something. Then they know that those people will be so over-the-top that the (well-intentioned) other side comes back and yells at those people and the process continues perpetually forever while they get tons of clicks and views on a fake news story.

We have the power to not do this right now. :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 pm.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Disney cancelled the Halloween parties, I'm curious to see if Universal ends up cancelling Halloween horror nights next...

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/06/19/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-at-disney-world-will-not-take-place-in-2020-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/

Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Disney World will not take place in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic, Disney posted online on Thursday.

Disney officials said with stage shows, parades, and fireworks they would not be able to host the events.

A decision on this year’s Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party and the EPCOT Candlelight processional has not been made at this time, according to Disney.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Haymaker » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 pm

They expanded the Food & Wine Festival. It opens when Epcot re-opens.
Last edited by Haymaker on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:44 pm.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:45 am

The media has left this part out but, vote to keep Splash Mountain like it is:

https://www.change.org/p/everyone-to-save-splash-mountain-and-keep-it-as-it-is-in-magic-kingdom-and-disneyland
I love to roam where the wild things are.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Since this hasn't been posted in earnest here in the forum, here's the rundown for everything regarding the openings at Walt Disney World, pulled from the Parks Blog and some other sources:

• Park reservations go live for resort guests (including resort guest passholders) on June 22, non-resort annual passholders on June 26, and all other ticket holders on June 28, at 7 AM eastern each day
  • You must have your ticket or pass linked in MyDisneyExperience to make a reservation
  • New vacation bookings and park tickets open for 2021 dates on June 26
  • Park hopping is temporarily suspended, each reservation can only be for one park per day
  • Annual passholder previews are on July 9 and 10 for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom
  • Events and spectaculars are suspended, characters will still make occasional appearances throughout the day
  • No FastPass, Single rider queues, or Rise of the Resistance boarding passes
  • All major attractions will be open with the exception of Princess Fairytale Hall, Town Square Theater, Up A Great Bird Adventure, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, and Fantasmic
  • Spaceship Earth's renovation has been delayed and it will re-open in its current state with EPCOT

In addition, there are reports that guests staying in resorts that will not be reopening with the parks are being asked to relocate to a resort that is open. Some reports are saying that guests are being asked to pay full price to upgrade, but others have said that they are not being charged if they do not choose a specific resort to relocate to. Your mileage may vary.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything or give any incorrect information.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Follow me on Instagram for perfectly adequate theme park photos!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!