Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 339: Splash Mountain Officially Being Rethemed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu May 28, 2020 9:39 pm

I'm curious to see what they do for rides like the Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror that have those smaller show rooms before the rides. More so the tower of terror which has that really small pre-show room. Is it possible to just have the lines go straight to the rides? I know it's not ideal for either but I'd rather be able to ride a partial ride than no ride at all.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 pm

^I'm sure they'll just have the doors open and you'll walk through the rooms.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Eyebrows » Fri May 29, 2020 7:40 am

Isn’t the stretching room some sort of elevator? I could be wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Haymaker » Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 am

Eyebrows wrote:Isn’t the stretching room some sort of elevator? I could be wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere.

Yes

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bootymix96 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:19 am

Well, not quite. In the original Disneyland version, the stretching room is an elevator, due to lack of space within the railroad track boundaries for the show building. By moving guests down and underneath the railroad tracks, this allows the main part of the ride to occur beyond the railroad tracks, free from space constraints. This same system of moving guests outside the railroad tracks for the main attraction was used two years prior at Disneyland for Pirates of the Caribbean (utilizing 2 drops and a lift hill at the end), was used later on for Indiana Jones Adventure (with its lengthy indoor queue), and was even used for WDW's Space Mountain (with its own lengthy indoor queue). However, returning to the Haunted Mansion, as the WDW version was an opening day attraction, space for the show building was not a problem, so instead the stretching room is a normal room, with the effect achieved by lifting the ceiling and the wall paneling upwards, and not moving the floor downwards. The dark room coupled with the visual cues from the lifting ceiling create the effect that you are moving downwards, when in actuality you aren't moving at all. With that in mind, it's entirely feasible for both doors to the stretching rooms to stay open at WDW, though it would completely ruin the effect. With the Disneyland version, this would be impossible.

Source

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby KarlaKoaster » Fri May 29, 2020 9:33 am

Eyebrows wrote:Isn’t the stretching room some sort of elevator? I could be wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere.

It isn't a lift in Walt Disney World, but the one in California is as the show building is behind the berm/railroad (ditto Paris)

Haymaker wrote:Yes

No :angel:

(Sorry bootymix96, I somehow missed your post where you had already answered. Nice first post!)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Eyebrows » Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 am

bootymix96 wrote:Well, not quite. In the original Disneyland version, the stretching room is an elevator, due to lack of space within the railroad track boundaries for the show building. By moving guests down and underneath the railroad tracks, this allows the main part of the ride to occur beyond the railroad tracks, free from space constraints. This same system of moving guests outside the railroad tracks for the main attraction was used two years prior at Disneyland for Pirates of the Caribbean (utilizing 2 drops and a lift hill at the end), was used later on for Indiana Jones Adventure (with its lengthy indoor queue), and was even used for WDW's Space Mountain (with its own lengthy indoor queue). However, returning to the Haunted Mansion, as the WDW version was an opening day attraction, space for the show building was not a problem, so instead the stretching room is a normal room, with the effect achieved by lifting the ceiling and the wall paneling upwards, and not moving the floor downwards. The dark room coupled with the visual cues from the lifting ceiling create the effect that you are moving downwards, when in actuality you aren't moving at all. With that in mind, it's entirely feasible for both doors to the stretching rooms to stay open at WDW, though it would completely ruin the effect. With the Disneyland version, this would be impossible.

Source

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So it shouldn’t be a problem at Magic Kingdom, but it does make me wonder how they’re going to do it at Disneyland.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Fri May 29, 2020 5:23 pm

Super cool info, bootymix! Thanks!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri May 29, 2020 5:49 pm

^/^^ As an 'elder DisneyParks geek' of sorts, I remember all of this, and how these attractions came to be.
Learned it through paper magazines, television, and all the "old stuff" that communicated information.

But it's so lovely to see it explained by others, who love it just as much as I do.

And yours bootymix96, was a very nice and thorough one! :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Haymaker » Sat May 30, 2020 10:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!