Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:26 am

9Armgeddon4 wrote:^ I got several trimless rides on Diamondback last October. I think even rode the Beast without the trim. Now I was there on a very windy day though which was probably why I got the trimless rides. But I n all my years going to my home park I don’t think I’ve ever got a trimless ride on Bull.

Unless you rode the Beast the first few weeks it was open, you did not get a trimless ride. There were always skid brake trims that didn't turn off which were replaced with magnetic brakes that do not turn off a few years back. Just sayin'.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Could I have gotten a slightly less trimmed ride then? Having just watched a POV I don’t think the MCBR slowed down the train that much.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:57 am

Its possible that the train was already traveling less fast already heading into it, thus you wouldn't see as much slowdown. The magnetic brakes the ride has installed now slow the train to speed X, not reduce speed by a set amount, so if it's already traveling at or below X, they don't do anything.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Unless you rode the Beast the first few weeks it was open, you did not get a trimless ride. There were always skid brake trims that didn't turn off which were replaced with magnetic brakes that do not turn off a few years back. Just sayin'.

Either way, I had a few frighteningly fast rides on the Beast 1987-1989 (including during the Beast 10th anniversary party in March of '89... in the rain and snow!)

People argue endlessly about how the Beast used to be (which usually includes the 1979 POV of the ride, fresh and tight, running very slow during a test run).

The discussion is usually ... "well, you were young and you just remember if faster!" No. It was definitely faster on a regular basis. If you got a brakeless Beast ride back then, you knew it. If it went past half-way up the 2nd lift, you got what was (back then) considered a brakeless or near-brakeless ride.

1989 was my last fast ride on Beast. By 1992 (we would drive over from Cedar Point on days off), it seemed Beast lost all it's bite. Forward to the 2000s, and another big step-down in speed.

Still fun, and will always be special to me, but not but a shade of what it used to be. Bummer to me, but it's life.

Since we are in the Great America thread... there is the case of a brakeless American Eagle! What a treat that was. When the track is in top condition AND the brakes are off, I call that "Voyage meets Phoenix." True magic. You could get a taste of that around 2009-2010 when Shapiro was in charge. Eagle was his favorite coaster in the chain, and made sure it was kept in good condition and ran fast, albeit for a short period. It's back to it's usual self, but I still love it. Late 80s was horrible as the wooden track on the out run made it nearly un-rideable. Then they added the hybrid track; it's got that vibration, but it still runs fairly well.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Danrarbc » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:13 pm

JT325 wrote:
Mike240SX wrote:Unless you rode the Beast the first few weeks it was open, you did not get a trimless ride. There were always skid brake trims that didn't turn off which were replaced with magnetic brakes that do not turn off a few years back. Just sayin'.

Either way, I had a few frighteningly fast rides on the Beast 1987-1989 (including during the Beast 10th anniversary party in March of '89... in the rain and snow!)

People argue endlessly about how the Beast used to be (which usually includes the 1979 POV of the ride, fresh and tight, running very slow during a test run).

The discussion is usually ... "well, you were young and you just remember if faster!" No. It was definitely faster on a regular basis. If you got a brakeless Beast ride back then, you knew it. If it went past half-way up the 2nd lift, you got what was (back then) considered a brakeless or near-brakeless ride.

1989 was my last fast ride on Beast. By 1992 (we would drive over from Cedar Point on days off), it seemed Beast lost all it's bite. Forward to the 2000s, and another big step-down in speed.

Still fun, and will always be special to me, but not but a shade of what it used to be. Bummer to me, but it's life.

Since we are in the Great America thread... there is the case of a brakeless American Eagle! What a treat that was. When the track is in top condition AND the brakes are off, I call that "Voyage meets Phoenix." True magic. You could get a taste of that around 2009-2010 when Shapiro was in charge. Eagle was his favorite coaster in the chain, and made sure it was kept in good condition and ran fast, albeit for a short period. It's back to it's usual self, but I still love it. Late 80s was horrible as the wooden track on the out run made it nearly un-rideable. Then they added the hybrid track; it's got that vibration, but it still runs fairly well.

It's kinda impressive how wrong every paragraph is.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:23 am

Mike240SX wrote:
9Armgeddon4 wrote:^ I got several trimless rides on Diamondback last October. I think even rode the Beast without the trim. Now I was there on a very windy day though which was probably why I got the trimless rides. But I n all my years going to my home park I don’t think I’ve ever got a trimless ride on Bull.

Unless you rode the Beast the first few weeks it was open, you did not get a trimless ride. There were always skid brake trims that didn't turn off which were replaced with magnetic brakes that do not turn off a few years back. Just sayin'.

I don't even think it was first few weeks: IIRC there was video from before Day 1 and it had it then too. But you still see people claim that they rode it without one to this day (like in this thread). People tell all sorts of stories and it's always easier when they happened a long time ago. I've heard stories about ops riding Montana Rusa at Chapultepec standing on the side boards with seat belts strapped around their wrists. I heard about people getting nosebleeds from riding Weiner Looping, Mindbender, and Thriller, as well as that only Thriller's accordions came down on riders hard when it moved to Texas (ie when people started to ride it en masse) but the other Schwarzkops were all perfect (LOL). Colossus at Heide Park was the # wood coaster in the world until everyone rode it. Same with Tonnere De Zeus. Aska (which was literally a duplicate of Viper at Great America) was supposedly a top 3 coasters. There's always always always nonsense.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Coastard69 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 am

Got on Eagle red on Saturday. Glorious as always, bummer the break is on at the bottom of the barrel, but still fantastic airtime throughout. Sure it's not quite as good as Viper, but good lord easily in my top 20 wooden coasters. With all these rumors of it being Iron Horsed, I really hope they don't. Granted Viper is an incredible wooden coaster, it would suck for SFGAm to only have one wooden coaster. It would be cool if they ever decided to run blue backwards again. One can hope.
Your Favorite Coaster Sucks
Available on Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud and Apple Podcasts
440 Coasters - a few of them are good

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:00 pm

So it looks like the HITP ride lineup willl be the same as last year minus Superman, Joker and HTFM. Hangover will be open though along with Big Easy Ballons.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:29 am

JT325 wrote:

I'm too lazy to look it up, but there's actually a video that has been shared which compares vintage footage from Beast compared to modern footage. The speed is nearly identical. The one big change that has been made is that the skid pad has been replaced with a magnetic brake. The magnetic brake slows the train more abruptly, but not any more than it used to.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 am

prozach626 wrote:I'm too lazy to look it up, but there's actually a video that has been shared which compares vintage footage from Beast compared to modern footage

Yes, I thought I mentioned that (but it's gone now?). That 1979 video was shot during break-in. One day a good video will pop up. No matter what I say on the subject, people who weren't there are going to argue against it, so it's probably in my best interest to make this my last post.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!