Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 am

I don't understand why GCI would need to come in and retrack American Eagle. The park can do track repair in house and I'm sure it's done pretty frequently. Six Flags can allot more funds for it on an off season if it gets to the point where it really needs it. I doubt the trains are at the end of their life cycle. Parts aren't very hard to find. Kennywood's Thunderbolt trains weren't near the end of their life cycle at 40 years old...

I also wasn't aware the lap bars were uncomfortable and that it would be that much of a problem to keep them. That, and I don't understand why all of a sudden the queue is a problem when it's been like that for a long time. Why spend the money to change it?

Mike240SX wrote:American Eagle was perfectly fine when I rode it back in 2017. I have a hard time believing that it's deteriorated to an "unrideable" status in just two years. You're over thinking it.

Besides, this is Six Flags. Great America just got Maxx Force. You won't be seeing another multi-million dollar investment for quite a while. Take your giant frisbee and enjoy it.

EDIT: We all said the same thing I just said the last two times you brought this up.

He just wanted to take the opportunity to tell you all about his RMC dream. You can't even make mention of a traditional wooden coaster anymore without someone saying it should get the RMC treatment and telling you all about their fantasy layout. :roll:

raether wrote:I see American Eagle, Demon, Superman, X-Flight, V2 and even Whizzer all leaving in favor of something new in the next 20 years. … Any comments to this?

Looks like Batman is here to stay.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 am

I thought American Eagle was fine in 2017. I'd put it on par with Racer at Kings Island or Rebel Yell/Racer 75 before they were retracked.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Cinecitta World & Rainbow MagicLand

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ilrider » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:23 pm

DILinator wrote:Thanks to everybody who replied with info about my questions regarding SFGAm! It's definitely given me a lot of food for thought, as I try to plan out this upcoming trip, and make it the best time I can for my kiddos!

One thought I've had, especially given how busy the Fright Night weekends get, is whether it would actually be more advisable to wait, and go the first weekend of November. That's when I went to the park last, back in 2016, and while it was busy, it wasn't too bad. Certainly not nightmare level. An additional thing I noticed with that weekend, is that it's a Member Appreciation Day that Sunday, and I noticed that they have ERT on Maxx Force this month's Member Appreciation Day. Has anybody been to those this year, and if so, is Maxx Force always available for ERT, or do the coasters change? I'm definitely open to waiting and going that weekend, if it'd make for a more enjoyable visit, so if anybody has any further thoughts on postponing until November, or what the Member Appreciation Days, please feel free to share! Thanks!

I don’t know if you had a target weekend or not, but opening weekend (this weekend) is usually not that bad, but October in particular is pretty busy, and warm days get very busy in October. Cooler days are good days to go, but it is generally busy overall due to the waterpark being closed. Arriving at park open will give you a couple good hours to get on rides quickly. The last weekend will probably be busy too. Up to you if you want the ERT.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Coastard69 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Friday nights are usually pretty good, crowd-wise as well. And if you don't care about the fright fest stuff, Colombus Day is dead.
Your Favorite Coaster Sucks
Available on Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud and Apple Podcasts
435 Coasters - a few of them are good

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby B&MGuy35 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Coastard69 wrote:Friday nights are usually pretty good, crowd-wise as well. And if you don't care about the fright fest stuff, Colombus Day is dead.

Columbus Day hasn’t been dead in years. No shows or anything going on so people that are there are there for the rides. Last time I went on Columbus Day it was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postby DILinator » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:38 am

Thanks to all for the info and advice about when the best times to visit SFGAm this Fall are, and what to expect in terms of crowds! One thing I haven't seen anybody mention yet are the Member Appreciation Days, and what to expect from them, if you've been to one. Or are they something new, only in the Fall? I'm just curious, because I'm now leaning towards going to SFGAm the 1st and 2nd of November, in hopes crowds are better. Of course, that IS the last weekend of Fright Fest, and the actual Halloween weekend, so maybe that's a bad idea! At any rate, that Sunday the 3rd is a Member Appreciation Day, and if the ERT is Maxx Force, like it is during the upcoming September Member Appreciation, it would certainly help in making that weekend worth going. At any rate, anybody with insight into any of this, thank for the input!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:18 am

SFGAm has done well with those Nov. weekends, pending weather. Two years ago saw moderate waits for most rides with temps in the 30's, but sunny conditions. I was honestly surprised at the amount of people that came out. (Random Pro Tip: Ski Goggles work wonders for coasters with temps <40*F ;) )

The Member Appreciation deal is something new for 2019, so not sure if that will bring in more people. They will advertise it to many people so if the weather is decent, I'd expect moderate crowds.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 am

On the subject of Six Flags Great America roller coaster called "American Eagle" - I think the coaster is just fine where it is. The only criticism I have is that coaster could use a fresh coat of paint to make it pop. As long as that coaster attracts long lines of people willing to ride it and ride it again, but on the other side, that ride should stay where it is.

One more statement to make - The Whizzer is the last coaster of its kind and that park should fight to keep that fine coaster from going anywhere, and we the riders and amusement park flyers would protest loudly if Six Flags should ever consider this verboten act.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Coastard69 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm

B&MGuy35 wrote:
Coastard69 wrote:Friday nights are usually pretty good, crowd-wise as well. And if you don't care about the fright fest stuff, Colombus Day is dead.

Columbus Day hasn’t been dead in years. No shows or anything going on so people that are there are there for the rides. Last time I went on Columbus Day it was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow well good for them, maybe turning a profit. When I worked Columbus day it was so dead staff got cut due to lack of guests.
Your Favorite Coaster Sucks
Available on Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud and Apple Podcasts
435 Coasters - a few of them are good

Postby DILinator » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:31 am

What is SFGAm's rain and thunderstorm policy like? I am thinking of going this weekend, but there are "strong thunderstorms" in the forecast for Saturday late afternoon and evening. I know coasters won't run in thunderstorms if there's lightning present, but how are they about shutting things down in the rain? Also, do they ever just close the park early due to weather? Thanks again for any input!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!